Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Out of Phase recordings  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Out of Phase recordings
« on: July 14, 2003, 07:54:46 AM »
I've been noticing certing recordings, or individual tracks that are recorded out of phase, thus giving a floating affect to the music.  No source direction, just a "hovering" affect.

examples:

The DEADs XM broadcast of 7-4.
most all of disc one is mixed out of phase

Bob Wiers vocals on the studio take of "WRS part I"

I just wanted to say that "i love it".
especialy the 7-4 mix.  they called that a mistake, and there is a fix going around.
I think the mistake sounds better than the fix.  Its a holographic affect that can make you dizzy (if you are sitting on my couch any way).  All of the proper stereo information seems to be there, its just the point of origin that really flys around the room.

anyone else know of other out of phase recordings?

I wonder what would happen if I were to mix a two channel master AUD recording of mine out of phase.  I might have to try it.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
Re:Out of Phase recordings
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 01:02:25 PM »
Do it!
I know damn near nothing about phasing- but I'm always down to see some experimentation. :)
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 11:03:06 AM »
If you want to know what it sounds like - just switch the +/- on ONE set of your speaker cables.  If you are in a proper listening position it cannot sound good.  The bass from each speaker cancels out and the location information is screwed.  Make me feel like my head is being twisted  ::)

You can also use Cool Edit Pro (and probably others) to listen to the effect.  Transform, amplitude, channel mixer.  Set a normal mix (left gets 100% left and no right, opposite for right channel) and then check off one of the invert check boxes while listening.  Go back and forth.

Cool it is not!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 11:06:04 AM »
Replying to my own post - I just read that you've got a pair of Magneplanars.  They will be even less forgiving of phase problems than an ordinary speaker...in the sweet spot (which is very sweet with Maggies).  Otherwise, they're so phasy that you might mask the problem if you're off center.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 05:41:56 AM »
Nick, switch both termainals on the speakers & see if it matters.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Tim

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 03:45:37 PM »
wow... I just listened to a jam from my tapes of Phish at Deer Creek and then reversed the wiring on one of the B&W's... my head is still spinning! that prettys awful!

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 01:58:36 PM »
Oh yeah - the other thing about having left / right out of phase.  If you sit in the middle and play with the balance control, you'll find it has more bass when you are only listening to one channel.  The least when it's in the middle.

Again, you should be in the centre for these listening tests.

If you're going to try the speaker cable switching, don't change both of them (or even both ends of one cable for that matter).  The absolute phase will change but this isn't the effect we're talking about...
KM 184 > V2 > R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com