Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gonna give my rig a face lift  (Read 3725 times)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Gonna give my rig a face lift
« on: July 29, 2003, 01:25:15 AM »
Current rig:  AKG c1000s>Samson Mix Pad>D-8

Alright i also have hardware that i am about ready to throw out.  The Sabre mount stuff.  See I set myself up with this starter rig to see if i really liked taping.  I found out i love it.  However i am not one to sell my stuff.  I just can't find it in me to do that, so I am going to begin upgrading each part.  Which should be first.  The DAT is going anywhere.  That was the best $350 i have ever spent.  I use that all the time.  I am thinking about some 391s.  Maybe a modded UA-5.  But so many people run this.  I want some variety.  ideas......

I really wanna try some Pre A/D stuff.  

What i find with my current rig is that i rip some awesome tapes right in the sweet spot.  FOB (10 feet from stage)  or right at the board dead center, but when i dont have the best spot the tapes lack.  I wanna correct this.  I know its not mic positioning, its the mics and the pre.

The samson gives you the nice phantom power option, but did you know there is 3 gains on that thing.  I have begun to remember the places of the knobs but i want one.  Ideas?

I was also thinking about a ADC-20.  How do the digital outs on those things work?

thanks for your help guys

EDIT:  Also i need a sound card with optical ins that doesn't resample.  I have the 7 pin>optical cable and i really can't use it because i dont have the sound card for it.  I am looking for something $100 or less that will run with XP.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 01:26:48 AM by superphatal »

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:Gonna give my rig a face lift
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 01:46:23 AM »
personally, i'd upgrade my mics first and then add in a pre and a/d converter later.  upgrading mics will make a much bigger difference in sound than adding a pre or a/d.  as always, just my humble opinion.

nick

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 01:53:11 AM »
buy the mics you know you'll want down the line immediately.  In any audio chain, the transducer is the strongest link.  Does the mixpad provide phantom?  If it does that makes it much easier to upgrade your mics.  Buy some great mics, and run those through the mixpad for a while.  Or, you could ditch the mixpad, buy a PS-2, and line txformers and run straight into the D8.  Does Doug Oade still modify the frontend on the sony decks?  That might also be something to look into.  After you get some more cash you can buy a "real" pre and later an A/D.  If you like the 300's, you should seriously check out some 480's.  

I've found that the AKG's sound best (to my ears) through some sort of transformer pre such as the Soundevices boxes or the EAA/AETA ones.  They kick mucho ass in front of a m148, but that's highroller territory.  I've also heard good things from bean and others about the DMIC.

As for A/D, for me apogee's the name of the game.  I've had my 500e for 6 months now and I'm not thinking about retiring it any time soon.

Bottom line:   Upgrade your mics first the way you want to and the rest will fall into place.

Welcome to gearsluts anonymous.  Can I be your sponsor?

+T!
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 08:16:34 AM »
Gotta agree...do the mics first....maybe you can hook up w/ someone who is also upgrading and buy their mics....check out some tapes w/ the modded 460's (preamp). I keep hearding good things spoken but never heard any tapes.  

gfl ;D
jah-mon
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 09:27:11 AM »
modded 460's if you like the akg sound.  May I also reccomend the gefell m300's as a very suitable mic which I think you would really like.  One option I have not heard would be picking up an ad1k.  I liked running mbho->ad1k when I still had one, and they can be had for around 500 bucks which is a better bargain IMHO than a ua-5.

Daryan

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 12:46:23 PM »
put your money into your mics.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 01:01:30 PM »
Mikies, brah :)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 01:11:28 PM »
I have heard the modded 460s and loved the sound.  What about a sound card for the transfer.  Could you guys help me out with that?

cpclark

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 01:20:18 PM »
like everyone else said, mics make the difference, just went through this with these guys about minime v. v3, do the mics and then the pre>a/d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com