Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP.... blown mc012  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
HELP.... blown mc012
« on: October 24, 2005, 09:00:39 AM »
so I was recording my beloved Pencilgrass the other day when I decided to check my levels and noticed that I was only getting one chanel.  I check all the obvious conections between mics and pre, pre and jb3, optical, power, everything with no luck so I point my one mic straight between the stacks and stress for the rest of the night hoping I have a bad cable or something. 

At home I set up for diagnostic.  first test is the same.  So I swap cables, no change, shit. So I swap caps, no change, good I guess, at least I don't have a blown cap.  I now am the proud owner of one useless brand new (used 3 times) Oktava mc012 body.  upon further inspection I notice a tiny dent on the body of the bad mic that I never noticed before. 

So heres my list of questions.

1) aren't these mics suposed to be pretty durable? I mean I don't have any idea how the little dent got there but it couldn't have been very dramatic cause I am uber anal about my gear.  they've never been dropped or anything.

2) Has anybody had any experience with having oktava usa repair, replace, warranty?

3) related to ?2.  I am not the original owner of these mics.  but I am the first owner.  I know sounds fishy but it's not.  someone on this board bought the mics for a friend who unanounced went out and got his own.  while they were in transit he put them up for sale and I bought em.  he turned them around the day he recieved them and got em fully sealed from oktava usa with original reciept and everything.  so is Oktava usa gonna look at me as the original owner or charge me for a repair, or replacement.  I mean these mics are litterally one month old.   

I'm so freaking stressed!  I'm really glad I haven't modded these yet.  I've been planning on doing a dorsey mod on these mics but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I can only imagine what oktava would say when they opened it up and saw my handywork!

so on an other note....  anyone have an mc 012 they can do without for a couple of days so I can pull mike/leo and raq at Toads Place in New Haven CT on wed and thurs.  or any other set of decent mics for that matter.  I have other mics to use but I was just getting used to the nice transparent sound that the oktavas were providing.  my other mics tend to be a little warm and produce some sloppy bottom end. 

UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :(    :(     :(     :(

thanks for listening to my rant,
a very sad Kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Re: HELP.... blown mc012
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »
It takes nothing to dent the outer cover (body)

Oktave Quality is shit... That being said its most likely a bad solder joint

I'll send you a mic to use (for shipping) (with the dorsey mod)  and repair yours if'n you want... Check your PM
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com