Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording snafu 24>16 aaack! %^%^**$  (Read 6724 times)

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
recording snafu 24>16 aaack! %^%^**$
« on: August 07, 2003, 07:24:23 AM »
okay, so last night in my haste to get things rolling, i had my v3 set at 24/48 but wavlab set at 16/48. is there anything i can do to repair the file? is it possible wavlab dithered the signal or am i just screwed?

DaryanLenz

Re:recording snafu 24>16 aaack! %^%^**$
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 09:20:07 AM »
I don't think wavelab would have dithered it unless your soundcard did.  I honestly do not know...maybe check the manual, but then again, I bet you have one of those right ;)  Did you back up to dat?  If so, listen to them both and see if there is a difference.  It could be the header says 16 but the file is really 24.  I have done that with sampling rates before!  You just need to change the properties of the audio file...at least when I did it!

Daryan

rabhan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 09:23:41 AM »
whats a manual? no, no dat backup, ua5 isnt here yet for that, and i dont have a xlr>mini cable

it wasnt a need-to-get show, but it would have been nice, my first onstage tape. ortf at the lip between the two monitors about 5ft high at the grog n tankard in georgetown.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 01:44:01 PM »
Odds are that Wavelab truncated the signal. In fact, no file *saved* with a 16-bit header will really be 24 bits. Once the header is changed and the file saved accordingly, the last 8 bits are snipped. In all likelihood, you never got those last 8 bits into the software.

Gotta love what I call the "dumbass factor." I've gotten my gear setup as routine as possible to avoid doing shit like this. In the past I've done all kinds of stuff and lost a few good shows along the way. Lucky for me those were all at least covered by someone else.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

rabhan

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 02:40:10 PM »
well, there were two bands, i was only planning on taping the second one, but since i did the first one, they begged me for a copy. so i was like, shit, i will just burn them a copy after their set before the next band so that i wont have to mail them a cd, mostly bc they sucked really really bad. well, the time it took to resample, dither, and burn took about 15mins or so. i use the xp partition for that and 2k for recording. well, i didnt have time to reboot back into 2k. so i loaded up wavlab on xp, created the file name to be saved and didnt even think about the bitrate bc i never change it. well, since i never record in xp, i never defaulted it to 24. i didnt even notice til 2hrs later when the band stopped. Doh! for my third night with the laptop, good lesson learned, i have a new rule to add to my list of commandments, NEVER BURN CDS AT A VENUE.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 02:41:31 PM by Rabhan, C.G.S. »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 05:16:32 PM »
Unless you want to directly compete with clearchannel ;)
Out of the game … for now?

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 10:26:38 AM »
hehehehe
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

rabhan

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 01:54:43 PM »
well, i decided to listen to the show on my stereo. it doesnt sound all that bad.

rabhan

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 01:55:15 PM »
meaning, it doesnt sound fucked up or like there was a problem.

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 10:24:54 PM »
I think MattD is probably right.  Can't you just run the bit meter in wavelab?  I'd think that would tell you for sure what bit rate it actually is.  

rabhan

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 10:36:29 PM »
can you explain

Offline jjjewett

• Taperssection Regular
  • brown trout
    • my website
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 10:38:59 PM »
All that happened is that the v3 sent a 24-bit signal but your vxpocket acted as a 16-bit recorder.  It would be the equivalent of recording a 24-bit signal to a dat.  I would sound good, but incomplete.  The last 8-bits were just truncated and you were left with the 16msb's (most significant bit's)

John

rabhan

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2003, 10:42:23 PM »
i understand that part, this is what i dont understand:

"  Can't you just run the bit meter in wavelab?  I'd think that would tell you for sure what bit rate it actually is.  "

Offline jjjewett

• Taperssection Regular
  • brown trout
    • my website
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2003, 10:52:43 PM »
No,

Because all you have is a 16-bit file you cant tell shit.  All bits will be active.

IF you recorded a 16-bit pcm stream with a 24-bit recorder (vxpocket set to 24bit) then you could run it and see that the last 8 bits arent active (i.e. stay at 0 the whole file.)

John
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 03:42:39 AM by jjjewett »

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 02:06:05 PM »
"  Can't you just run the bit meter in wavelab?  I'd think that would tell you for sure what bit rate it actually is.  "

Wavelab (atleast 4.0) has a meter that determines how many bits are in the wave file.  Open the file in question, then while playing open up the analysis tab & then click on "bit meter".  If it is a 24 bit file all the lights will be on.  If it's a 16 bit file it will only light up everything past 16 bits.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com