Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: diy SPDIF cables  (Read 7984 times)

Offline ice8888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
diy SPDIF cables
« on: November 16, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »
looking to make a SPDIF cable for the microtrack...  what cable does everyone use for that?  i was looking at the belden 1505A since i can get that for pretty cheap from markertek. 

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=BL%2D1505A&cat=CABLESCONN&subcat=BULKCABLE&prodClass=DVIDEOBULK&mfg=&search=0&off=

cmoorevt

Re: diy SPDIF cables
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:20:08 AM »
I use Canare, but Belden is good cable as well.  One thing to be careful of-  the housing around the spdif input on the MT is quite small.  Make sure whatever rca connector you chose is not too large or it will not fit snugly in the input.

Offline ice8888

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:26:37 AM »
yeah, honestly, the best connector i've found for that has been over at radio shack.  their right angle adapter fit well, although it's a little snug with the usb adapter plugged in as well.

Offline ice8888

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:32:15 AM »
I use Canare, but Belden is good cable as well.  One thing to be careful of-  the housing around the spdif input on the MT is quite small.  Make sure whatever rca connector you chose is not too large or it will not fit snugly in the input.

oh, and which canare cable have you used?

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 10:51:16 AM »
Canare LV-61S from Markertek ($0.24 a foot)
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

cmoorevt

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 11:06:01 AM »

oh, and which canare cable have you used?

LV-4CFB.  Works great, although it is a little stiff.  The LV-61S mentioned above is more flexible and if I were to do it again, I'd probably go with that.  I actually bought the Canare rca plug and did just what you mentioned-right angle rca connector from Radio Shack.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 11:28:32 AM »
if you guys want to avoid an extra connector, the Switchcraft right-angle RCA connectors work great with the MicroTrack.  I chose those right-angle connectors to use in my S/PDIF cables a couple of years ago, and just got lucky that they worked perfectly with the Microtrack.

offhand, I don't have the part number.  if you want to dig deep into one of the old microtrack threads, I've posted that part number and photos of the right-angle connector.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 01:34:33 PM »
Switchcraft right-angle RCA connectors work great with the MicroTrack

true, i use it

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=SW3502&off=1&sort=prod
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline ice8888

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 03:33:39 PM »

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 06:57:03 PM »
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 02:08:22 AM »
Here is another pretty decent RCA that works on the MT:

NEUTRIK NYS352G at Parts Express

I'm kinda cheezed off at M-Audio for the cheap-connectors-only RCA jacks, though. I've got nice cables, but gee, I can't use them with my new coolest piece of gear! Yah, it's not really a big issue for the RCA outs, but SPDIF is supposed to run through a true 75 ohm impedance, which most RCA's are not. I also use the two Canare coax's mentioned above with their awesome crimp connectors, which, of course, won't fit the MT's jack  >:(

Yet another example of M-Audio's definition of "professional" (I do love my MT though....)

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 07:04:00 AM »
Yet another example of M-Audio's definition of "professional" (I do love my MT though....)
Maybe it is just another mod that Doug (or any soldering qualified person?) could offer?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 07:11:14 AM »
the thing about modding the bottom of the unit to to accept a larger RCA connector, is that then you leave even less room for the USB connector.  I'm sure I'm not the only one running an external battery pack, and needs to have the USB and the S/PDIF both plugged in at the same time.  I guess it's not as big a deal for me, because the digi cables that I already use worked out perfectly.  here is a picture of my connector, the switchcraft right-angle rca:

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 06:21:56 AM »
quick question...

i went with the cable and the switch craft r/a connectors suggested here, now when i get around to making the cables, I need to go...

Center pin - (+)
Outer ring - (-)
Shield - not used

...on both sides right?  and as for the + and -, it doesn't matter which is which, as long as the same cable is going to the center pin and the same one is going to the outer ring, right?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 02:36:14 PM »
quick question...

i went with the cable and the switch craft r/a connectors suggested here, now when i get around to making the cables, I need to go...

Center pin - (+)
Outer ring - (-)
Shield - not used

...on both sides right?  and as for the + and -, it doesn't matter which is which, as long as the same cable is going to the center pin and the same one is going to the outer ring, right?

right.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com