Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $1,000 tube system  (Read 3299 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
$1,000 tube system
« on: December 08, 2005, 09:48:47 PM »
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: $1,000 tube system
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:25:24 PM »
Thats cool!

I like the Auricaps.  I used them as inline filters for matching my sub and they are silent.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:48:30 PM »
that is pretty cool... the only beefs I'd have is that he's only left himself $23 for cables, and the DVD player doesn't do DVD-A... but I'd just cut out the FM tuner, use that toward a Pioneer Elite 45A or so... and have a little, tiny bit more for cables...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:29:19 PM »
Good caps can certainly make a real difference.  Is he recommending swapping out existing caps, or bypassing them with smaller values (generally around 10%)?  I've never used Auricaps, but had good experiences with AEON and MIT Multicaps.  I built a large 3-way crossover network in my old car that sounded just beautiful... but took up a good bit of room.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:54:36 PM »
just because it has tubes in it doesnt make it better.  still an interesting system.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 05:34:06 PM »
just because it has tubes in it doesnt make it better.  still an interesting system.

I'm sure there are others that would beg to differ.   :)

I've never owned a mid-fi solid state setup but from listening to other peoples setups and hearing instore demos I can say I honestly prefer tubes to similarly priced solid state setups.  I can understand why some might prefer the solid state sound but to my ears the warmth and musicality of tubes can't be beat.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 07:34:26 PM »

I'm sure there are others that would beg to differ.   :)

I've never owned a mid-fi solid state setup but from listening to other peoples setups and hearing instore demos I can say I honestly prefer tubes to similarly priced solid state setups.  I can understand why some might prefer the solid state sound but to my ears the warmth and musicality of tubes can't be beat.

here's the problem- cheap tube systems sound like crap.  i find that you generally get more for your money from solid state. 
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 08:01:21 PM »

here's the problem- cheap tube systems sound like crap.  i find that you generally get more for your money from solid state. 

What is the definition of cheap?  My previous setup used a YS-Audio Symphonies preamp which I paid $225 for and it definately didn't sound like crap.  Similarly a buddy of mine owned a Jolida 1501RC hybrid which costed $500 and I remember thinking it sounded pretty good as well.  Oh well different strokes for different folks.

RebelRebel

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 09:36:34 PM »
I was thinking about one of those YS symphonies for part of a system for my wifes listening/reading room.I dont want to spend any more than 1700 or so for the setup(she already has the player)....and in spite of the pricetag(400 new i think)..it gets great reviews everywhere ive looked.

So you reccomend it eh, Nick?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 09:42:16 PM by Teddy »

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 09:58:43 PM »
Teddy I really liked the Symphonies preamp, I thought it sounded great for the money.  I won't get into sound description because I sold mine a year ago but I believe nickspicks has a review on his webpage and there are a number of other board members who have given it rave reviews as well.

If you do end up buying wanting to buy a Symphonies keep your eye on Audiogon they pop up there from time to time.  Also I'd highly recommend retubing the Symphonies, the stock Chinese tubes sound pretty crappy when compared to JJ and EI current production tubes.

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 10:11:15 PM »
Thank you Mr. Culbreth.  ;D

Teddy I really liked the Symphonies preamp, I thought it sounded great for the money.  I won't get into sound description because I sold mine a year ago but I believe nickspicks has a review on his webpage and there are a number of other board members who have given it rave reviews as well.

If you do end up buying wanting to buy a Symphonies keep your eye on Audiogon they pop up there from time to time.  Also I'd highly recommend retubing the Symphonies, the stock Chinese tubes sound pretty crappy when compared to JJ and EI current production tubes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com