Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

HPF and LPF

(1/2) > >>

Geoff G:
Can someone help me understand when i would use these settings on mics, or boxes?  I'm borrowing a V3 next week, but am a little unsure about these switches. 

Thanks
Geoff

Brian Skalinder:
HPF = high pass filter, aka bass rolloff.  It attenuates the low frequencies while passing through the high frequencies untouched, hence the name.  Frequencies affected and slope of attenuation vary by device.  See the Grace Design website's Support page for info on the V3's HPF.  I've never used the HPF on my V3, just haven't had a need to do so.  Unless what you're recording has massive chest-thumping, filling-rattling bass I don't think it's necessary.  But then again, I like a nice robust low end in my recordings.

LPF = low pass filter, opposite of HPF.

Nick Graham:
Similar question, I understand HPF and LPF, but what about when it's a cut filter?

Aren't those the exact opposite of pass filters, i.e. a Low Cut Filter is the same thing as HPF.

RebelRebel:

--- Quote from: Nick Graham on May 10, 2006, 02:21:26 AM ---Similar question, I understand HPF and LPF, but what about when it's a cut filter?

Aren't those the exact opposite of pass filters, i.e. a Low Cut Filter is the same thing as HPF.

--- End quote ---

A high-pass filter is the same thing as a low cut filter. A llow pass filter is the same as a high cut filter.

a band pass filter uses high and low pass filters..

svenkid:
Im not totally sure what Im doing, but I run the hpf thing on the v3 switched up to 1 in venues that give me a lame bass sound, and the bass sounds crisper when I do this, or at least not as schwag as before  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version