Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Berliner CM-33 mics?  (Read 49571 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Berliner CM-33 mics?
« on: June 06, 2006, 05:40:27 PM »
what the hell are these?
http://tinyurl.com/o9fth

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Berliner CM-33 mics?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »
I just saw them too,  last night.... :hmmm:
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:56:08 PM »
Looks like the seller is the one that makes em?

Probably vanilla like every other mic copy out there..

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:27:06 PM »
what the hell are these?
http://tinyurl.com/o9fth

I bought a pair (of Berliner CM 33's) on eBay, pretty much took a big chance after looking for any and all info I could find. I did not even mention it to anyone in our large MN taping community until I had them in hand. I knew it was a chance, but I liked what I heard sampled on their incomplete website, and while if it was a setup I was burned, I hoped it was not. Now after using the mics for a while, I am confident enough to say that they are really nice mics.

I have not used them enough to feel knowlegable about them yet, but I have gotten nice clean crisp recordings in a variety of situations. For instance, here is a link to Umphrey's McGee, recorded outdoors in a huge unruly crowd. No post was done or needed.

http://www.archive.org/details/umg2006-08-31.flac

The results are nice. I have received good feedback from downloaders of the show. I will continue to play with the mics, and hope that I am at the beginning of something nice in the mic world. ;D

The company Berliner is trying hard to get off the ground. They have attempted (my opinion) to put forth a microphone with crisp clear clean sound at a reasonable price (well they are not for sale yet, but they should be reasonable).

The mics that leaked out on eBay, like the ones I bought, were largely a result of the company trying to get samples out and find distributors. It seems like some of those people just took advantage of an opportunity to make some quick cash. the claims made were the claims of someone trying to make a sale, and from what I have learned, had nothing to do with the company Berliner at all.

In my quest to find out more, I did uncover a name and email address for the company. I wrote to David Cohen, and told him of my "gamble"  :sick: and asked about specs etc.

It took a few days, but I got a great response today, and will share it below along with my original email. Also it is nice to see that this manufacturer is looking to people like ourselves for feedback and support.

Below is the paste of the response from Berliner and below that my original email:

Hey There Clifford!

I am so sorry I am just now getting back to you! Please accept my sincere apologies.  I was out of the country for 10 days then in LA for about a week.  I am in Orlando now at one our offices and would be happy to forward you the official specs of the CM33. 

I am glad to hear that you are happy with the mics.  We are putting a lot of work into launching the new company and hope that all the new audio products we introduce exceed
the industry's high standards and expectations.   We really count on people like yourself to
help us get to where we are going.  Real people putting the products to real tests! 

I would be delighted to have you share your experiences and opinions on the CM33 publicly. 
Also, I would be happy to provide you with future products at dealer cost if you plan to test them and share your honest opinions about them with the audio community.  I offer you this because you purchased the mics without knowing much, if anything, about Berliner Microphones and because you took a chance many would not take before knowing more. 
You also were among the very first to use the mics.

I will send you specs in a separate email.  :)

Thanks again Clifford.

Have a great week and please keep in touch.

Best Regards,
David Cohen
Berliner, USA

> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>
>
> Hi David,
>

>
> I am an avid music buff, and record live music for many bands in the
> Twin Cities at clubs as well as national band that allow recording. I
> purchased a set of Berliner CM-33's off eBay from Dana at envision
> music group. I thought it was a gamble, based on the lack of
> information, but the sound tests really were nice, and I took a big chance.
>

>
> So far I have been able to use them a few times, and the results are
> impressive. They are working nicely in the field and have excellent
> clarity. I am active in many taper groups, particularly
> taperssection.com, and more recently discovered gearslutz. I have yet
> to chime in on these sites regarding your mics, but would have nothing
> but positives to say. I can also tell you that there is already
> interest from the MNTapers group (yahoo), but I have explained how I
> got the mics and that you are not ready to roll yet.
>

>
> My reason for writing, is to ask if there is any technical info or
> specs that you can send to me. I would love any documentation that you
> could supply as my mics came with none.
>

>
> If there is anything I can do as your roll out comes around, please
> let me know. I would be happy to spread the word on your mics when you
> are ready for that to happen, and I wish you great success in this venture.
> Thanks!
>

>

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:50:19 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:55:49 PM »
damn, this show sounds nice.  +t for taking a chance on an unknown mic!

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:00:01 AM »
damn, this show sounds nice.  +t for taking a chance on an unknown mic!

QFT!
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 07:31:12 AM »
nice!
+T

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 07:44:28 AM »
dallman  - that show does sound really nice.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 11:17:06 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on the Umphrey's show. I have another pretty interesting one I need to upload too, STS-9 at First Ave in Mpls, Sept 15 2006. Also I thoght the mics really impressive. However I used my new Tascam HD P2 and tried the bass roll off on the Tascam, which I think took out too much bass (the show was bassey to the point of distortion, my blood vessels were vibrating). Still, it is a great sounding show and agin the mics had a wonderful clarity. I'm not going to touch it in post.

When I get the show uploaded, I'll let you know. I really appreciate the feedback!! ;D

UPDATE: Here is the Sound Tribe Sector 9 (STS-9) show.  :headphones:
http://www.archive.org/details/sts92006-09-15.STS9AUDflac16

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 12:23:08 AM by dallman »

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 08:59:37 AM »
I recently sent an email to Berliner about how and when I could purchase a pair of these mics. They are currently offering a pre-launch price on the matched stereo pairs for $450.00. That sounds like a great deal to me based on the two samples I have listened to so far.
I think I may pick up a pair at this price and try them out with different pres, etc., and see what they sound best with. Dallman, thanks for the recording samples and info you have posted on these mics.

Here is the email I received:

"Hi John, thanks for the email.  You can get a set of the CM33s now with full one year warranty etc.  We are in the process of pre launch and now putting advertisement, media and technical details together.  We are also in the process of rolling out other mic models so it has been a lot of work, to say the least.

You can send an email to sales@vintagesonics.com to request a special pre-launch price and they currently do have the mics in stock to ship immediately.  The retail price for the mics will be $649.  You can get them for $450 I believe.

This past week we recorded a string quartet in San Francisco with the CM33’s and will be making available these sound samples in the coming week.  We also tested the CM33’s on broadcast cameras with filmmakers in New York replacing the included stereo mics on their broadcast quality cameras with great success!  Actually in every case the CM33 blew away the mics that came with the cameras either built-in or optional accessory

The CM33’s are really being put to every recording situation imaginable all with better than average results.  We will keep you posted on further developments.

Thank you for your interest and best of luck.  Please don’t hesitate to email me with any further questions or comments.  We are traveling quite a bit at this time but will do our best to answer any questions or concerns you may have in a timely fashion.

Best Regards,
David Cohen
Berliner, USA"

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 11:09:39 PM »
Does anyone have contact info other than info@berlinerusa.com or sales@vintagesonics.com? I sent an email to berlinerusa on the 10th and to vintagesonics on the 11th, neither bounced but I have not received a reply for either one. Has anyone used the 800 number on berliner's home page?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 12:32:45 PM »
Does anyone have contact info other than info@berlinerusa.com or sales@vintagesonics.com? I sent an email to berlinerusa on the 10th and to vintagesonics on the 11th, neither bounced but I have not received a reply for either one. Has anyone used the 800 number on berliner's home page?

I think the process is going to be slow until this company actually gets off the ground. I have another address, but I don't think it will be any quicker. Here it is:

support@berlinerusa.com

That was the address that my reply came from. I sent an email yesterday too with some more info and questions. I recorded Ratdog Sunday here in MN at the Fitzgerald Theater ;D. One of the Sound Engineers came over to me and said he noticed my mics, but did not recognize them. (How he spotted them to the point that he did not recognize them, I'll never know, even though they were right in front of the stage). Anyway, we talked for a while about the mics and he examined them, and asked if I'd send him a copy of the show for him to check the sound. I told him the vocals would be pretty non existant as the show was pulled off the stage, but he said he was interested in the sound quality of the mics and not the mix. He emailed me this morning just in case I had lost his address...(The recording it does sound really crisp and tight but also the tone is very sweet, not at all harsh and the vocals are totally from the mouth, not amplified at all, which is audible, but well behind the music.)

I let the company know that there is that kind of interest brewing.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 04:19:59 PM »
I posted this Gov't Mule show on etree this morning:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=502704&viewcomm=250604#comm250604

I have not heard anything about the Berliner's or the company. I get a lot of questions and comments when I use them, and everyone wants to hear a sample so here is another show to listen to. I really am pleased with the mics and the sound. Crisp and tight with nice tone. I hope that at some point the company does get these mics on the market.

In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys this. ;D

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 09:01:29 AM »
here's some more info on these bad boys.  specs and pricing (~$485 shipped): http://tinyurl.com/ybtobo

What's with this website?

They claim to have added the Berliners in January of 2006, and to have 432 sets in stock.  That doesn't sound very likely, given the info in this thread.

If you click on the product list for preamps or microphones, all you get is a list of cell phones for sale.

Jeff

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 10:27:09 AM »
conman-33  ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com