Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Berliner CM-33 mics?  (Read 49571 times)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Berliner CM-33 mics?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 10:48:09 AM »
conman-33  ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

I doubt it. I finally got a response to my inquiries and it seems the company has been moving into a new office ,the principles had been on the tradeshow circuit as well as finding a full-time distributor. Don't know about the distributor but I'm guessing the move is complete by now. Anyway, I purchased a pair and am quite happy with what I've heard so far though it's only been a local bands very informal rehearsals. They may very well have 400+ sets in stock since the pair I received had serial numbers ~450 apart and the high number was just under 1200. Biggest problem I had was the initial contact. Once established, all subsequent dealings went without a hitch.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »

I doubt it. I finally got a response to my inquiries and it seems the company has been moving into a new office ,the principles had been on the tradeshow circuit as well as finding a full-time distributor. Don't know about the distributor but I'm guessing the move is complete by now. Anyway, I purchased a pair and am quite happy with what I've heard so far though it's only been a local bands very informal rehearsals. They may very well have 400+ sets in stock since the pair I received had serial numbers ~450 apart and the high number was just under 1200. Biggest problem I had was the initial contact. Once established, all subsequent dealings went without a hitch.

I agree, I bought my set off eBay and it was a total gamble. I liked the samples a lot, but was wary due to the incomplete website. I did get ahold of David Cohen, and he was very appreciate, and very frank. It sounds like they had some mics go out and the people who re-sold them were not the most reputable. The company made it clear thay want as much distance from those types of reps as possible.

I have been really happy with the mics, and I have shared as much as possible with my MN Tapers, and tried to post and get honest opinions on what others think of the mics. I know I am going to be a "little biased", because they are my mics, but I have gotten great feedback from a lot of sources that have been positive. Also in situations like the Gov't Mule concert I just posted, there were lots of us clamped to the same pole, so the good sound and very positive feedback is in comparison to some very identical recordings (placement-wise).

Anyway, I am hoping the company gets up and running. The more info and feedback, the better. Also, I am hoping that other caps hit the market at some point.

Per a request, I also posted the warm-up band (Donavon Frankenreiter)from the Gov't Mule show I posted yesterday. It is a smaller torrent, so feel free to give it a listen. 8)
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=502727

Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »

I think it stands for the CliffMxxxx-33  :-)
I'm holding out for the RO-48 model. 

All kidding aside, I've had a chance to hear just about everything Cliff has taped with the CM-33's and I like the sound of them.  They are bright and detailed sounding which is something I like.  Then again, Cliff can make good tapes with a couple of tin cans and some bailing wire.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:04:36 PM by rodeen »
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 12:03:48 PM »
Also in situations like the Gov't Mule concert I just posted, there were lots of us clamped to the same pole, so the good sound and very positive feedback is in comparison to some very identical recordings (placement-wise).

I'll post my 12/6/2006 Gov't Mule recording on bt.etree.org also to provide a good comparison.  Cliff had his CM-33's clamped on to my stand and we were both recording on HD-P2's standalone.  My mic cables might be a little more burned in than his so my recording might be a little warmer and less detailed as a result  :-)  Otherwise we had identical setup and location.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 12:45:30 PM »
I'll post my 12/6/2006 Gov't Mule recording on bt.etree.org also to provide a good comparison. 

Here's a link to my source:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=502729

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »

I think it stands for the CliffMxxxx-33  :-)
I'm holding out for the RO-48 model. 

All kidding aside, I've had a chance to hear just about everything Cliff has taped with the CM-33's and I like the sound of them.  They are bright and detailed sounding which is something I like.  Then again, Cliff can make good tapes with a couple of tin cans and some bailing wire.

:o OceanSpray Cranberry->Twine-> Tacam HDP-2-> Trancend 4gb :o

My current avatar is from that same Gov't Mule Concert. Rodeen on the far left, and me on the far right. His copy of the show is very good and very different from mine. As Rick says, the only difference are the mics and the cables. A great way to get a feel for these mics!!

Somewhere I should have a good in use pic of the mics. Otherwise, next time out I'll take one.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 01:25:53 PM »
I used the info@berlinerusa.com e-addy and got a response from David Cohen, the president of the company. He had me get in touch with envision music group who was the interim distributor. I have no idea if envision is stilll handling the mics or if Berliner has found a permanent distributor. I paid $450 for a set.

I'll post pics in a little bit. Any particular angle/components in particular you would like to see?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 02:09:37 PM »
Looks like the best view of the cap is a little out of focus. The scale in the background is an engineers scale and is in .1 of an inch. I'll have to retrieve the manual for the camera this evening to figure how to change resolution and can snap some more pics tonight or tomorrow morning. If you want anything in particular that isn't in this group, let me know and I'll do my best to get some decent pics.

http://flipp.home.telepath.com/CM33/

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 08:31:07 AM »
you want the LSD
:)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »
The upper scale in the pictures is in tenths (0.1) of an inch, not tenths of a foot. The numbers on the upper scale are inches. The lower scale is in fiftieths (1/50) of an inch. The mic body with cap attached is between 3.6 and 3.7 inches in length or 183/50 (3.66 inch). Without getting the calipers out of my toolbox, I'll call it 3 2/3 inches, or just slightly longer than my middle finger when I hold the mic in my hand.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 12:41:03 PM »
Three shows recorded with these mics have been upped in the past week to bt.etree.org

just do a search for "berliner" if you are interested in hearing how these sound

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 11:11:03 PM »
+t for upping examples of "off the radar" mics!

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 06:58:55 AM »
tenths of a foot?
is that some sort of metric hybrid?
;-)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 10:17:14 AM »

Two of those shows were recorded and upped by dallman, only one is mine. I do have a Yonder Mountain show I'll get up eventually and a WSP show (Dallas 3-24-07) that I'll probably just snail untracked flac copies to anyone interested in comparing it to the three versions already up on bt, two of which were recorded within ten feet of my location.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »

Two of those shows were recorded and upped by dallman, only one is mine. I do have a Yonder Mountain show I'll get up eventually and a WSP show (Dallas 3-24-07) that I'll probably just snail untracked flac copies to anyone interested in comparing it to the three versions already up on bt, two of which were recorded within ten feet of my location.

I considered my purchase of the Berliner CM 33 mics a gamble. Now as it is about 10 months that I have had them, I have tried to be really critical and tried to look to others be really critical. The verdict so far is that they are a great deal, and well worth the money. They are very nice mics with crisp sound and very nice tones.I really am so pleased by my recordings with them. I don't know if the company will get off the ground, and it looks like they are slowly moving forward though. I never use my other mics anymore except for my little ones when I cannot openly record.

Here are the two latest shows I have upped. I have a few on Archive, but I find etree much easier to work with.
Check them out it was a great night. I still have one more band from that night to finish, and I am awaiting the setlist.

New Monsoon:http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=506838

ALO (Animal Liberation Orchestra) with New Monsoon jamming on final song:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=506840

Enjoy ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com