Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying to get Audiophile USB to work...and failing. Need help!  (Read 1272 times)

Offline ognelson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I've been using my trusty ZA2 in an old computer for about 10 years now, and though it would be nice to get rid of that old computer and free up some desk space. So I picked up an M-Audio Audiophile USB recently.
Installed the software and hooked it up last night. Was excited to transfer a couple of DATs recorded last week.
No go.
I've tried two DAT decks, and have used both the s/pdif input and the rca analog inputs. In both cases, I hear nothing in headphones plugged into the Audiophile and no signal is making it to the laptop. The laptop does know the Audiophile is there, and the software seems to be installed properly.
I have tried (I think) all the options in CDWave and in Adobe Audition as far as choosing the Audiophile as source. I've enabled s/pdif input in the Audiophile control panel. Device manager says it's working properly, but that doesn't mean much.
I don't know if perhaps this is just a dud unit, or if there is one more thing I should do that will make it work. I'm thinking that the Audiophile should pass audio to its own headphone jack regardless of the computer being on, and since that's not happening with either analog or digital input I'm a bit pessimistic.
Hoping someone has some insight.
thanks
O

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
Re: Trying to get Audiophile USB to work...and failing. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:25:56 PM »
The computer should have 3 choices for the audiophile soundcard (right click the audio icon and choose properties and then the audio tab).  You should choose the one that says "audiophile spdif" and not "audiophile".  Also make sure that the same option is checked in CDWAVE. Finally open up the audiophile control panel program and make sure that the spdif option is checked and also 16 bit.  If that doesn't work, I would also make sure that the native soudcard drivers are disabled.

Offline ognelson

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Trying to get Audiophile USB to work...and failing. Need help!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 10:17:08 AM »
Well, though I had already done all that was suggested by jbraveman, it still didn't work. So I shut the PC down and restarted at least once, maybe twice, and though it had already installed all the software on several previous startups, it kept re-installing it (or adding more, I suppose, though I think it was stuff I'd seen it install before) and suddenly the damn thing started working. Transferred two DATs last night.

However, I can't monitor the audiophile with headphones or analog outs, and can't heard it using the PC's headphone jack since its internal soundcard is disabled. There must be a tweak somewhere in the Audiophile's settings that allows the headphone jack to work, but I can't find it.

Thanks to jbrraveman for the suggestions. It caused me to reexamine all the settings, and that caused me to get pissed and try the multiple restarts, and that did it.
O

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com