Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: techflex!  (Read 10148 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
ISO: techflex!
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:06:31 AM »
Can anyone point me to a source for techflex?

Better yet, can anyone sell me some?

I'm looking for a small size, suitable for two lavalier (eg., AT853 type) cables.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: ISO: techflex!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:11:04 AM »
How much do you need?

I've got 100 foot of grey 1/4" sitting here and I only need about 15 feet for my project.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:01:22 AM »
I some techflex from markertek.com - they have many different sizes...
but, they only sell them in 100' rolls.  I used about 15 feet, and now have 85' lying around.
mine also 1/4", but black.  let me know if you'd like some of mine...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 08:17:48 AM »
partsexpress.com
http://tinyurl.com/fdyuw

you want the "flexo pet"
$7 for a 25' roll.  you want the 1/8th inch stuff, which is the smallest.
1/4" is HUGE.

the smaller the better.
:-)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »
I have Canare 4S11 sepaker cables.  Anybody have any extra 3/8" tech flex?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:32:20 PM »
I have Canare 4S11 sepaker cables.  Anybody have any extra 3/8" tech flex?

I'm pretty sure that you want no larger than 1/4" for those.    The 1/4" will expand enough to slide over some big connectors like Vampire and WBT locking RCAs.

You need grey or black?   ;D

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 07:55:04 AM »
the 1/4 will be too large for those cables.  way too large.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 08:37:35 AM »

1/4 " too large for the 4s11?  I thought that the 4s11 is 3/8 in diameter.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 09:26:14 AM »
1/4 " too large for the 4s11?  I thought that the 4s11 is 3/8 in diameter.

1/4" will be fine.  The 1/4" is the nominal size.  It has a minimum dimension of 1/8" and max of 7/16".
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »
are we talking about 853 cable, like the stuff that the soundpros use?
if so, then 1/8th inch will work, and be tighter.  Its what I use.

I find the 1/4 stuff to be way too big for all the work I do.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:03:36 AM »
Can anyone point me to a source for techflex?

Better yet, can anyone sell me some?

I'm looking for a small size, suitable for two lavalier (eg., AT853 type) cables.

Thanks,
  Richard

this is what i'm recomending the 1/8th for. 
I dont know anything about the other cable.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 12:05:11 PM »
I've nver worked with techflex before, so do you have to take your connectors off before you put it on, or can you just slide it over the connectors?

Thanks!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »
you have to taked it off...depending on the connector.
you want a good tight fit w/this stuff.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 04:04:35 PM »

You know I could use some of the 1/8" also so if you don't find anyone with some to spare, I'll split a role of 25' with you (or anyone else).   I'll trade some 1/4" for some 1/8". 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 10:24:29 AM »
are we talking about 853 cable, like the stuff that the soundpros use?
if so, then 1/8th inch will work, and be tighter.  Its what I use.

I find the 1/4 stuff to be way too big for all the work I do.

The 4S11 is the big starquad cables.  1/8 would work if I stripped down to the red and white wires. 

I'll probably need 50 feet of the 1/4 and then probably 8 feet of ther 1/8.  I prefer black.  I have to remeasure my cables.  Its been a while since I made them.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 02:21:59 PM »
what size would you guys recomend for Canara Star Quad cabling? I need about 16' or so.. hoping I dont have to buy a 100' roll .. there has got to be smaller lengths.. or if someone has some in black/grey I'd be into buy some..

Also, would 1/8" work for AT853rx's ??? I would much prefer 1 cable going down my back than 2! ahah :)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 03:07:47 PM »
the 1/8" cleancut would work well for a single run starquad.  Although I have to say that I'm changing my mind about using techflex to dress individual mic cables.

I made some short cables dressed using the black 1/8" techflex clean cut to hide the white teflon sheath.  I was taking some samples using the new cables with the AK40s attached directly to the KM100 bodies.  What I found was that when the two techflex dressed cables rubbed together even a little, they transfered a horrible grating noise into the mics.   

The cables will work fine between the recorder and preamp or between the mic body and preamp when using the active cables.  But I've postponed my plans to make dressed 20ft cables because I'm worried about ruining a tape if the dressed cables get rubbed together when I'm digging around in my bag or moving things around while recording. 

Has anyone who has dressed cables noticed this? 

I thought it might not be as bad if I put two cables through a single sheath, but I played with a single looped cable and it did the same thing so I'm worried about that.  Will the longer cable not have this problem if the rubbing is 12ft away from the mics?

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 04:03:46 PM »
the 1/8" cleancut would work well for a single run starquad.  Although I have to say that I'm changing my mind about using techflex to dress individual mic cables.

I made some short cables dressed using the black 1/8" techflex clean cut to hide the white teflon sheath.  I was taking some samples using the new cables with the AK40s attached directly to the KM100 bodies.  What I found was that when the two techflex dressed cables rubbed together even a little, they transfered a horrible grating noise into the mics.   

The cables will work fine between the recorder and preamp or between the mic body and preamp when using the active cables.  But I've postponed my plans to make dressed 20ft cables because I'm worried about ruining a tape if the dressed cables get rubbed together when I'm digging around in my bag or moving things around while recording. 

I thought it might not be as bad if I put two cables through a single sheath, but I played with a single looped cable and it did the same thing so I'm worried about that.  Will the longer cable not have this problem if the rubbing is 12ft away from the mics?

I have some 30ft Dogstar cables that are wrapped individually not doubled. I've noticed that yes movent does introduce noise, but it is less further away from the mics. I am not sure exactly how much less because I haven't tested. And I'm not sure it is due soley to the techflex either.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 04:05:08 PM »

hmmm, i have individually techflexed cables(leegeddy bumblebee's zip tied together for easier coiling/handling and have NEVER noticed a noise/problem whatsoever and have had my cables tied together like that since day 1

FWIW, ive moved my gear/whole rig around while recording and could never ehar any weirdness, i DO have AT 8514 shocks w/ the k-tek heavy duty rubber mounts so maybe that has something to do with it ??? these shocks are SOLID
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:06:47 PM by Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 04:19:44 PM »
hmmm, i have individually techflexed cables(leegeddy bumblebee's zip tied together for easier coiling/handling and have NEVER noticed a noise/problem whatsoever and have had my cables tied together like that since day 1

FWIW, ive moved my gear/whole rig around while recording and could never ehar any weirdness, i DO have AT 8514 shocks w/ the k-tek heavy duty rubber mounts so maybe that has something to do with it ??? these shocks are SOLID

Having them zip-tied together would keep them from rubbing much when you move your gear around.   I don't think shock mounts will have too much effect on this problem but I'll give it a try. 

This is a problem of the techflex grating together and sending vibrations up the mic cable, through the XLR connector and into the mic housing.  The tech flex is definitely the source of the noise, but the mic cable is the transmission path.   The teflon coated cable is very rigid compared to the belden or canare with a rubberized sheath.  Maybe that is why those guys use a softer sheath.  None of this matters for interconnects between electronic components but it's potentially a big problem for wires attached to accoustic transducers that are susceptible to mechanical vibration.  Mics with a shock mounted capsule might not have a  problem, but the KM140s sure do pick up the noise from the new cables rubbing.   

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 08:04:29 PM »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »

Could it be static electricity..........?
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 08:58:55 PM »

No, its definitely the surface of the braid.

I'll second wirecare as an excellent source.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 09:05:05 PM »

No, its definitely the surface of the braid.

I'll second wirecare as an excellent source.

Yeah thats what I mean.  With the two rubbing together building up a static charge that ends up grounding (lack of a better term)at the mic/pre ends.  The static charge has to discharge somehow.....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 10:24:10 PM »
No it's not static electricity.  It's the surface texture of the braiding making mechanical vibration that affects the mic. 

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 02:13:14 AM »
No it's not static electricity.  It's the surface texture of the braiding making mechanical vibration that affects the mic. 

I get it, I am a little slow sometimes :laugh:.  I mis-understood the intial reading of your problem.

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
I can't recall where I picked up  this ccable wrap, but it does the job nicely...
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 12:26:22 PM »
Lately I've been playing around with removing the teflon jacket from the mil teflon cable and replacing it with heat shrink.  It seems to reduce the 'memory' of the cable somewhat and improve the flex a bit.  Maybe that would be a better option for the last 6-18" of cable.

I usually use 1804a for my stubbie xlr cables for the much better flex and was hoping the shrink would improve the cable handling characteristics of the silver teflon in that application.  Especially the flex in short runs. I think it does that.  I have some concerns about how this change will impact handling noise.  The heat shrink is surely less bonded to the shield than the teflon.  So I'd expect more shield movement during handling. Possibly some concerns about shield compromise if bent tight.

FWIW, I have both single pair and quad silver teflon.  The quad is more flexible, though obviously more work to solder up, etc.  That comp is Yet Another Listening Test I need to do...

Offline Celac

• Taperssection Newbie
  • ...enough with the bits already,
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 01:13:25 AM »
Hi,
If you are looking for  short lengths of "clean cut" PET sleeving Fry's carries it.  e.g. 1/4" x 16' = sku 2281388 @6.99.  They had multiple diameters on the shelf in my local store. 
Celac.
...can't get enough of nothing!

Did your friend consider that maybe he got a basically accurate recording of a bad P.A. system and/or a terrible-sounding performance venue? When you aim good microphones at ugly sound, the resulting recording will not be beautiful.
DSatz

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2006, 10:20:13 AM »
Lately I've been playing around with removing the teflon jacket from the mil teflon cable and replacing it with heat shrink.  It seems to reduce the 'memory' of the cable somewhat and improve the flex a bit.  Maybe that would be a better option for the last 6-18" of cable.

I usually use 1804a for my stubbie xlr cables for the much better flex and was hoping the shrink would improve the cable handling characteristics of the silver teflon in that application.  Especially the flex in short runs. I think it does that.  I have some concerns about how this change will impact handling noise.  The heat shrink is surely less bonded to the shield than the teflon.  So I'd expect more shield movement during handling. Possibly some concerns about shield compromise if bent tight.

FWIW, I have both single pair and quad silver teflon.  The quad is more flexible, though obviously more work to solder up, etc.  That comp is Yet Another Listening Test I need to do...

My concern would be sacrificing the great dielectric properties of the teflon.  My 0.02.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2006, 10:35:12 AM »
I don't *think* the dielectric impact is as significant when it comes to the exterior shield jacket vs. the conductors.

Though, without a doubt, the tight teflon jacket allows less relative motion between the wires and the shield and also less shield distortion.  Any motion there could cause mechanical noise.  I should probably do some flex tests to see if any noise is introduced.  I have noticed that some of the silver teflon cable is not that well shielded when compared to other quad mic cable.  The schoeps active cable is perhaps the heaviest shield I've seen (and it is bare copper, not clad, go figure).

I also worry about the dielectric impact of the epoxy in the stubbies..

And in terms of cable sound, I think we really need to do a quad vs. single pair silver teflon cable comp. I now have both types of cable.. I think the quad is actually more flexible.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 11:53:03 PM »
techflex is like a fishing line type of material moke, it isnt porous
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 12:36:52 AM »
prolly nothing to do with anything....but I have had good luck fusing my cables together with the black shrink wrap stuff that you can get at home depot.  Looks like and clean, flexible, black, and no rubbing toghether....  find in the electrical isle
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com