Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does SPDIF>XLR Exist?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Does SPDIF>XLR Exist?
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »
is this even possible? ???
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Does SPDIF>XLR Exist?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:26:29 PM »
Yes.  But I'm not clear what you're trying to accomplish.  Are you simply wanting to change the connector, or do you also want to change the cable's impedance (for example switching from S/PDIF to AES/EBU or vice versa)?

Even if not precisely what you're looking for, this may help:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=7676.0  It's for AES/EBU with an XLR connector over 110 ohm cable > S/PDIF with an RCA connector over 75 ohm cable.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:30:37 PM »
thanks for the response Brian! what i'm trying to do is determine if i can take a patch from a 722. my 660s inputs are XLR.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 07:29:16 PM »
I believe the 660 lacks the capacity to accept a digital (spdif) input and only accepts an analog input via its xlrs -- assuming that's the case, you'd need an external d>a converter to patch out of a 722's digital output (spdif), OR, you could take an analog patch and feed it to the 660 as a line level input (assuming the 660 can take a line level analog input)

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:46:15 PM »
I believe the 660 lacks the capacity to accept a digital (spdif) input and only accepts an analog input via its xlrs -- assuming that's the case, you'd need an external d>a converter to patch out of a 722's digital output (spdif), OR, you could take an analog patch and feed it to the 660 as a line level input (assuming the 660 can take a line level analog input)

yeah i was pretty sure i would have to take an analog signal via my xlrs. now i need to find out what kind of analog outputs the 722 has. thanks for your input!! +T

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

yeah i was pretty sure i would have to take an analog signal via my xlrs. now i need to find out what kind of analog outputs the 722 has. thanks for your input!! +T

Only 1/8" mini, I believe, in which case you'll need a set of 1/8" setero mini -> 2 x XLR (male) cables.  If the 722 user is recording to the internal harddrive, however, it would be better if you have a CF card handy to just ask them to record to both your CF and their internal harddrive.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:07:16 PM »

Only 1/8" mini, I believe, in which case you'll need a set of 1/8" setero mini -> 2 x XLR (male) cables.  If the 722 user is recording to the internal harddrive, however, it would be better if you have a CF card handy to just ask them to record to both your CF and their internal harddrive.

brilliant idea easyjim. i completely forgot about the 7 series ability to record to cf in addition to the HD. thanks!!

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:07:49 PM »
mini-xlr, and, 1/8" stereo outputs, on the 722

thanks Moke!!

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:46 PM »
make that a mini-xlr output pair (l/r channels)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »
If you have the ACM 660, the 1/8" input is disabled... you can go XLR in with phantom off and it will accept line level.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 09:37:10 AM »
If you have the ACM 660, the 1/8" input is disabled... you can go XLR in with phantom off and it will accept line level.

thanks Andrew +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com