Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Satellite HD Receivers  (Read 13517 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Satellite HD Receivers
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »
$299 - not as bad as I had thought. I still like having the local stations in HD or SD.

I can understand the NFL requirement. My must have is Duke games in HD which was nice last year when every game was on ESPN HD. But now that they're rebuilding and UNC is ESPN's darling, we get moved to the ESPN2 schedule and TWC doesn't have ESPN2 HD yet.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »
$299 - not as bad as I had thought. I still like having the local stations in HD or SD.

I can understand the NFL requirement. My must have is Duke games in HD which was nice last year when every game was on ESPN HD. But now that they're rebuilding and UNC is ESPN's darling, we get moved to the ESPN2 schedule and TWC doesn't have ESPN2 HD yet.

re: local stations...I prefer to get those over antenna.  In raleigh (as I am guessing is the case in charlotte as well) I am real close to the antennas and can pick up every channels SD and HD signal perfectly.  This is really nice for when the sat signal goes out, the antenna is still (in my experience) still been good.  And the local HD signal over the air, is a huge improvement over DTVs (and cable from what I have seen) HD version of locals.  The DTV box is also nice in that it integrates your antenna signal into your onscreen guide and it is extremely easy to use once set up.

If interested, take a look at www.antennaweb.org...this will tell you distance from the antennas, which will give you a good guage on likelihood of being able to pick up a signal.

On ESPN2, definitely agree...the biggest pain in the ass around here is regardless of whether ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or the damn ocho is carrying it, if raycom carries it, the other feed gets blacked out, and raycom has no HD feeds (as of last year) and their SD pic quality is piss poor.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »

re: local stations...I prefer to get those over antenna.  In raleigh (as I am guessing is the case in charlotte as well) I am real close to the antennas and can pick up every channels SD and HD signal perfectly.  This is really nice for when the sat signal goes out, the antenna is still (in my experience) still been good.  And the local HD signal over the air, is a huge improvement over DTVs (and cable from what I have seen) HD version of locals.  The DTV box is also nice in that it integrates your antenna signal into your onscreen guide and it is extremely easy to use once set up.

If interested, take a look at www.antennaweb.org...this will tell you distance from the antennas, which will give you a good guage on likelihood of being able to pick up a signal.

On ESPN2, definitely agree...the biggest pain in the ass around here is regardless of whether ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or the damn ocho is carrying it, if raycom carries it, the other feed gets blacked out, and raycom has no HD feeds (as of last year) and their SD pic quality is piss poor.

nick...i have a question i hope you can clarify for  me...i am looking at the two website you posted..the antenna map thing and the sattelite for OTA reception...the reception says the beam is about 60*... yet you said that you can get every channel...does the beam not limit the direction to which you can pick up channels?  I looked at the raleigh map (chose a zip, 27608) and some channels are in the opposite direction [this is the same case for here])  am i wrong in thinking the beam needs to be pointed in a certain direction?

thnx
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »
fortunately I am lucky and all the HD channels from me all come from the same 3 towers, with the compass direction being between 154-156 for all of them.  The only one that doesnt is PBS, and I dont watch it much, so no issue there. 

The Square Shooter antenna I use does a good job at allowing me to point it in that direction and pick up all of them without an issue

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
fortunately I am lucky and all the HD channels from me all come from the same 3 towers, with the compass direction being between 154-156 for all of them.  The only one that doesnt is PBS, and I dont watch it much, so no issue there. 

The Square Shooter antenna I use does a good job at allowing me to point it in that direction and pick up all of them without an issue

thnx  unfortunatly...nbc is the polar opposite of abc and cbs here....which sux

cant decide what i want to do...Directv was looking really good...but i wanted the OTA for locals...who knows...
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 01:53:38 PM »

cant decide what i want to do...Directv was looking really good...but i wanted the OTA for locals...who knows...

Make sure you're searching by your address.  Zip code can be off quite a bit from your actual location.

Also, you can get an omnidirectional antenna. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »

Make sure you're searching by your address.  Zip code can be off quite a bit from your actual location.

Also, you can get an omnidirectional antenna. 

thanx john  i was searching by my address...its just something that comes from being in a mall town

do you have a link to anything to omnidirectional antennas?  ill search after lunch...but if you know of any it would be appreciated.

thanx

Auditory
it's magic 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »
I have no idea how well this works, but I am a big fan of winegard products

http://www.winegard.com/offair/metrostar.htm

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
I have no idea how well this works, but I am a big fan of winegard products

http://www.winegard.com/offair/metrostar.htm

does that handle hd?  something is wrong with my pdf on mozilla...and i can't restart my comp right now b/c im at work
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
I have heard that people pick up HD over 20 year old antennas...so I always assumed that "HD branded" antennas was strictly marketing...maybe shoot winegard an email...they will answer

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 03:48:32 PM »
Yeah there's nothing "digital" about the antennas.  So really any VHF/UHF antenna should be able to pick up HD channels.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 03:50:20 PM »
Yeah there's nothing "digital" about the antennas.  So really any VHF/UHF antenna should be able to pick up HD channels.

even indoor attennas?  curious about comparing the OTA signal to my comcast HD signal...but not gonna drop any serious cash on it.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
Any antenna will pick up the signals.   I used to use the antenna in my attic until I got Dish HD.

Worked like a charm. 

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 10:23:49 AM »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
was not a matter of if, but when...with the new HD offerings coming this year, th price increase was a foregone conclusion...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com