Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Cable Comparisons  (Read 12186 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: Mic Cable Comparisons
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2007, 08:49:42 AM »
I think if I had bright sounding mics I was stay far away from silver clad....

I disagree with this statement.  I run JW Mod 460's, which have been said by many to be "bright" mics.  I've run BBee's & Hi Ho Silvers with these mics, and IMO they sound fantastic.  But that's my $0.02.  To each their own. 

Thanks again to NashPhil for taking the time to put this together.  +T

I don't doubt that they sound fantastic, but I think many would agree that the silvers hype the highs a bit (or the copper dulls the highs).  Either way, silver are not doing anything to make those mics less bright.   Hell you might like a bright sounding recording, so it is your preference.  IMO that is what it is all about.  I don't think any of these cables change the dynamics or quality of the recording that much, but they do seem to add some frequency flavor.

I would agree that it's all up to the listener, ultimately.  I just don't want someone reading the original statement & thinking that silver cables of any sort will ruin their recordings when using bright mics.  It may or may not for them.  All the different flavors of pre's/adc's everyone runs can have the same sort of impact on the high frequencies of a recording.  Running "bright" mics with an Apogee & a Grace will give you a different sound even when using the same silver cables.  Ultimately, it's the full chain (mics through adc) that determine the sound/feel of the recording in the end.  It also has to do with the playback that one listen's to the recording on.  Take for instance a playback where someone may feel the sound is too warm to their ears & use a "brighter" set of interconnects/cables to even the tones.  Or vice versa where the playback is too "bright" and the user moves to a warmer set of interconnects/cables to even it out.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 08:54:15 AM »
word up, t+ gumbino
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »
word up, t+ gumbino

+T backatcha.  Gotta love being able to have civil conversations regarding differing opinions.  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com