Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SDHC cards does it matter what class it is 2,4,or 6 working with R-09?  (Read 8608 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
hello, I see that the edirol r-09 is compatible with SDHC cards but does the class  "number" 2,4,or 6 make a difference in working with the edirol r-09

please advise

thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:59:44 PM by bluntforcetrauma »

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
The SDHC card rating of "Class 2" means the card is rated to reliably sustain a speed of 2MB per second when writing data to the card.

Other flash memory card speeds are stated in terms of "X," where X = 150,000 Bytes per second.  For example, the Kingston Elite Pro Compactflash card used by a lot of recordists is rated at 45X.  This calculates to mean that the Elite Pro can write data at (150,000 * 45) = 6.75 MB/second.

In an audio recorder, the volume of data transferred per second from recorder to flash card is not very high.  For example, if you record 2 channels at 24/96, then you're creating a data stream of 0.576 MB/second, considerably less than 1 MB/second.

So I'm thinking a card rated "Class 2" easily will keep up with a recorder set for 24/96 digitization. 

The R-09's top digitizing rate is 24/48, half that of 24/96, so the "Class 2" card should have no problems. 

Flintstone

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
thank you so much for the input

one question--would it hurt to use a class 4 card.  Because i saw on negg the ratings and the class 4 card seem to work well for people.

does the class 4 card mean anything when  working with in the edirol r-09?

Will it work?

thanks again

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: working 4G and 8G cards?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:27:13 AM »
What cards are people using with the R09?

I've been using Sandisk 4G SDHC with no problems.

The word is that you need SDHC (and not regular SD) to get 4G or more.  Roland/Edirol also report incompatabilities with Transcend 4G and 8G.  The 8G problems include failure to split files after 2G.

OK, so who is running 4G or 8G, and what cards are you running.  Model #'s would be great if you have them.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
4 gb Transcend base model (not sdhc) Dozens of 2448 recordings, and never even a slight hiccup.

What cards are people using with the R09?

I've been using Sandisk 4G SDHC with no problems.

The word is that you need SDHC (and not regular SD) to get 4G or more.  Roland/Edirol also report incompatabilities with Transcend 4G and 8G.  The 8G problems include failure to split files after 2G.

OK, so who is running 4G or 8G, and what cards are you running.  Model #'s would be great if you have them.

Thanks,
  Richard

2 trascend regular 4gb cards went bad

i am looking at class 4 kingston card 4 gb

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
4Gig SD is NOT within standard 2 gig SD specifications, so 4+ Gig SDHC should be more reliable in devices supporting the newer format.  Seems a 2 speed rating is plenty fast for 2 channel audio recording to at least 24/96. 

So not expecting faster SDHC cards ratings to work any better, but shouldn't hurt to have extra speed margins either, and faster cards might be more useful for the newer HD camcorders also using SDHC.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
4Gig SD is NOT within standard 2 gig SD specifications, so 4+ Gig SDHC should be more reliable in devices supporting the newer format.  Seems a 2 speed rating is plenty fast for 2 channel audio recording to at least 24/96. 

So not expecting faster SDHC cards ratings to work any better, but shouldn't hurt to have extra speed margins either, and faster cards might be more useful for the newer HD camcorders also using SDHC.

Yep, I've got 2G regular (Crucial, Sandisk) and 4G SDHC cards (Sandisk) working great.
I know to watch out for 4G non SDHC cards.
What I'm wondering is what brands of 4G SDHC are good.  Sandisk is pretty expensive compared to Transcend, Kingmax, etc.
Also, I'm wondering if *any* 8G SDHC cards are reliable.

This thing is great though.  I record 16/44.1k, so even 2G stores a lot of audio.

As far as speed goes, I expect faster cards to allow faster uploads.  Maybe need a standalone SD <> USB interface, but it may be faster.  So far I've been happy with the speed of the "internal" Edirol USB port though.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
Tyou

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
I run a  Transcend 4gb 150x SD.  Never had a problem.  Not even a burp.  Transcend makes great cards across the board, SD or CF. 

Offline Uddhava

• Taperssection Newbie
Got file corruption problems with a Transcend SDHC 8 GB class 2 card.
Edirol cannot even read the files anymore let alone transfer them to the computer...

So stay away from 8 GB cards for the moment.

Offline darkandspiky

• Taperssection Newbie
hello, I see that the edirol r-09 is compatible with SDHC cards but does the class  "number" 2,4,or 6 make a difference in working with the edirol r-09

please advise

thanks

edirol told me to use class 2... the higher classes use technology to speed up the rate of transfer that may cause problems with recording on the r-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems

please advise

thanks

edirol told me to use class 2... the higher classes use technology to speed up the rate of transfer that may cause problems with recording on the r-09

I read the SDHC speed class specifications and got the impression these newer ratings are CONTINUOUS type read/write specs, and NOT marketing hype type burst ratings.  Reason to believe remembering this as I was pleased these speed ratings were not subject to burst rating hype.

So either I don't remember what was said in the official SPEED TYPE specification document, or Roland technical person has not read this document recently?   If these speed ratings are truly continuous specification, then having excess write/read speed may not matter in the least to an audio device designed for using SDHC protocol 2 card interface.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline nxb

• Taperssection Newbie
I've just had a regular Transcend 4 GB SD card go bad on me, everything looked good while recording the show but the problems started when I tried to get the file off the card.

I've replaced it with a Transcend x150 4 GB card which I will test out at a show tonight...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com