Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I think I messed up this battery pack :-(  (Read 2236 times)

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I think I messed up this battery pack :-(
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
Being a noob, I think I've mismatched this battery pack from cheapbatterypacks.com and my HD-P2's power needs.

The AC adaptor for the HD-P2 delivers 12v (positive) and 2.5 amps.

The battery pack, which I ordered custom from cheapbatterypacks.com, is a 2x3 stick of 10 1.2v 4500mah SC cells, for a total of 12 volts.  A 12AWG wire (capable of handling up to 100 amps, at least that's what I gather from cheapbatterypacks's custom pack page) leads from the battery pack to a female Deans plug, connecting to a male Deans plug soldered to another 12AWG wire, which in turn is soldered to a connector that goes into the HD-P2.  I haven't charged the pack yet, much less used it, because now I'm not sure if this is the pack I need.

So - since the batteries are 4500 mah but the HD-P2 is presumably built for 2.5 amps, does this mean if I use the battery pack it'll fry my recorder?  :o  Also, since there are ten 4500 mah batteries in the pack, does that mean the pack as a whole is 45 amps?

I'd email Mike at cheapbatterypacks about this, but he and I seemed to be talking past each other when I was first ordering the pack (even though I explained to him that this was something I have zero knowledge about).  For one thing, he recommended using 20AWG wire (rated for 25 amps and less) while the guy at the hobby shop who sold me my recharger and did the connector soldering for me recommended the 12 AWG.  Am I in trouble with this pack, or am I okay?  I feel totally lost.  ???

Thanks in advance,

Bill
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:01:46 PM by laptaper »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: I think I messed up this battery pack :-(
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 10:06:20 PM »
pay no attention to amps/mah's. I *think* all you need to worry about is having your voltafge correct. current is current, but too much voltage and BAM. smoke in the section, and not the good KIND :smoking:

4500mah IS 4.5amps ;) that is just double the juice/power for your recorder. I use 9000mah or 9.0amp 7.2v NIMH rc batts for my 722, like I said, as long as your smaps are way BELOW what your recorder is supposed to be running at(say your batts were only 1.5 amps or 1500mah) then your recorder wouldnt stay powered on long, if at all. thye hdp2 may mean it needs a minimum of 2.5amps or 2500mah to power up and record for a standard recording session. increasing mah's or amps is OK, just dont exceed or undersupply voltage and you should be fine ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: I think I messed up this battery pack :-(
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:02 PM »

You don't get an increase in battery life if multiple batteries are wired in series.  That increases voltage, but not life. 

Actually, increased voltage gives you decreased current over the same load, leading to longer battery life. This is only of use if you have a device that can handle the total battery output. A VOM is your friend.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:55:33 PM by Jaledu »
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com