Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how are the van den hul's different than hosa's?  (Read 10645 times)

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: how are the van den hul's different than hosa's?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
If the mics are all wired in copper it kind of makes this debate pointless.  8)

My microphones are not wired with pure copper. I use silver plated ofc copper wire so the silver cables and high end copper cables are not lost on busman microphones.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:45 PM »
all i know is that my star quads sounded fine, but my ears like the silver better
i don't want to say its a better sound, just different

now are my silverpath or dogstars for $80 better or worse then $200 audio magic???
lets just say i don't hear a difference to where i am going to go buy some $200 cables

in the end, like pretty much all taping gear - its what you like you should try and use
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Jim Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 05:27:06 AM »

Or, let's cut right to the chase: how many professionals do you know who are using van den Huls or other super high-end cables as opposed to standard Canare star quad.?  I work with a guy out here on the coast who just laughs at high-end cables. 

I've been told that Steve Kimock won't go on stage without his favorite guitar cable. Apparently to him, the right cable is crucial to his sound.

David Gilmour has a couple kilometers of van den Hul in his studio.

Micahel Jackson had a semi trailer full of Cardas wire for one of his last tours.

Manley used to sell their high end studio mics wired with van den Hul. They now use Transparent or MIT or something along those lines, but it is definietly not mil-spec, Canare, or Hosa. 

Bop Studios in South Africa wired their mixing boards with van den Hul, using Neve, SSL, and Focusrite.

Tannoy, makers of world famous studio monitors use van den Hul wire on the inside of their cabinets. 

Jim

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 07:51:41 AM »
Talk to Jerry from Audio Magic and he'll tell you that he can hear when there is too much solder used in cables ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

stevetoney

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 08:22:06 AM »
all i know is that my star quads sounded fine, but my ears like the silver better
i don't want to say its a better sound, just different

now are my silverpath or dogstars for $80 better or worse then $200 audio magic???
lets just say i don't hear a difference to where i am going to go buy some $200 cables

in the end, like pretty much all taping gear - its what you like you should try and use

I hate 'me too' posts, but willndmb captured my sentiments on the nose.  What I suppose I wanted to add is that I was really a skeptic at first that I would hear a difference in the cable, although I also went into it with an open mind and then after listening, I decided that there was enough difference to me that I concluded that cables mattered to me for my rig. 

As far as the fact that someone uses a pro studio as a reference point as saying cables don't make a difference, well that's just further confirmation that there will probably never be universal agreement on this issue because as someone else mentioned, other pros obviously think cables are very important.

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 10:29:26 PM »
Got my set of van den Hul's yesterday, opened them up and WOW they sure are purty  :yahoo:

Can't wait to take them on a run. Thanks Chris! Before anyone says anything about comparing costs and sounds and all that...this rig is my graduation present to myself. I finally get my Bachelor's degree in BA this Friday. It was either a Harley or a rig. I can't afford a Harley so I went with a good rig. Good components complementing each other. I may never have to change anything again....well except mics....somewhere down the road anyways.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »
I finally get my Bachelor's degree in BA this Friday.

Congrats!
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com