Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $200 budget recorder recommendations  (Read 3458 times)

Offline ottomustaine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
$200 budget recorder recommendations
« on: November 26, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
Request recommendations for a digital recorder.  I have been using a Tascam iM2 with iPhone 5, and am ready to graduate to better gear that can take stealth mics, but on a strict budget.

First criteria is no more than $200 for the recorder.  I'm sure I can get a vastly better recorder for $50 more or whatever, but one has to set parameters.  If I could just figure out how to use stealth mics w/ the iPhone, I wouldn't even buy a recorder, because you can always get an iPhone into a venue.  I've been looking at the Zoom H4nSP and Tascam DR-40, but will consider others.

Second criteria is the recorder must work with Core Sound binaurals or cardioids, though I welcome recommendations for other stealth mics on a similar budget.

Finally, I actually don't much care about having 4 tracks, as I am not likely to spend much time mixing them except in extreme cases.  So if there is some extremely good 2 track recorder that would take stealth mics and be an improvement over the iM2, then I welcome recommendations.  But I don't mind spending $200, either.

Also, any recommendations about ancillary gear (pre-amp, battery box or whatever) would be appreciated.  I don't fully understand what all I'll need to go along with the stealth mics.  Basically, assume I am ignorant as hell (because I am).

Many thanks in advance.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: $200 budget recorder recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
If you can find a Roland R-05, I'd recommend that plus a simple battery box (you could snag the Cyber Monday deal from Church Audio for one of his boxes...but be aware of the thread about CA shipping in the retail forum).  If you can't find an R-05, maybe a Tascam DR-05 or DR-40 (I know you don't care about 4 channels, but the dual recording function could be great when stealthing).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
The DR-40 is too big for stealth (trust me, I had one.) Traded it in for a DR-05 and never looked back. Great deck for the price.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
DR-40 is a great unit and I personally can stealth it, but it does not have an 1/8" input. I got my Tascam DR-22WL new at Adorama for $81.50. I would keep an eye out for a deal like that. i also got my DR-40 for $159 and it came with a Sound Forge d/l that I sold for $50. DR-05 would also be fine unless you are taking a hot signal line in, which doesn't sound like what you are doing.

You should definitely be able to find something for under $200.

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »

Used Tascam Dr2d pop up around here with regularity for $150 or less. Small and easy to use but also with a full feature set.

The Sony M10 is also very popular - they have been popping up used quite a bit lately. Good onboard preamp and stellar battery life but closer to the $200 mark.

I recommend getting a battery box to power your mics if you don't have one. The plug in power provided by most recorders is inadequate. The exception - in my limited experience with small PiP mics - is the Marantz PMD620. It provides 5V of power which is enough for a lot of small mics. I would just bite the bullet and pony up the $ for a SP battery box that runs off 9V.

Decide what you want and put out an ISO thread in the Yard Sale section here. You can save money buying used.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

Used Tascam Dr2d pop up around here with regularity for $150 or less. Small and easy to use but also with a full feature set.

The Sony M10 is also very popular - they have been popping up used quite a bit lately. Good onboard preamp and stellar battery life but closer to the $200 mark.

I recommend getting a battery box to power your mics if you don't have one. The plug in power provided by most recorders is inadequate. The exception - in my limited experience with small PiP mics - is the Marantz PMD620. It provides 5V of power which is enough for a lot of small mics. I would just bite the bullet and pony up the $ for a SP battery box that runs off 9V.

Decide what you want and put out an ISO thread in the Yard Sale section here. You can save money buying used.

Seconding all of that, especially the need for a battery box. Doesn't matter which one, but having 9v of power for your mics is going to make way more difference than which recorder you have.

Also, IMHO as a longtime Core Sound mic user, the binaurals are fine but the low-cost cards have really crappy bass compared to other similar cardioid mics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com