Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Backyard Theater  (Read 6151 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Backyard Theater
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »
Any advice on screens or projectors for a backyard theater?
Pretty open to suggestions. Can do rear or front projection. Prefer LCD over DLP but this is for the kids, so not real important. I guess I prefer 1080p over 720p but again, not a requirement.
I'm set on audio.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: Backyard Theater
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »
Any advice on screens or projectors for a backyard theater?
Pretty open to suggestions. Can do rear or front projection. Prefer LCD over DLP but this is for the kids, so not real important. I guess I prefer 1080p over 720p but again, not a requirement.
I'm set on audio.

did you ever pull the plug on a projector ? Thinking about doing something so i can watch hockey outside next month
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 09:49:12 AM »
If anyone is interested I rolled the dice on an inexpensive projector and screen. The picture is pretty impressive. I only got it out last night to mess around with it but overall pretty happy. It can throw a huge screen depending on distance to the surface. That was my major tweak. Where i wanted to place the projector resulted in a HUGE picture that i dont have the screen for

over all screen + projector was less than $300. I had the scrap wood to build the frame (that will need some tweaking as well. the center post cast a slight shadow on the screen that i had not considered)

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
the projector i went with
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7FSQHN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FB6VW1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but admittedly i know nothing about this stuff other than the standard resolution etc. So i figured i would go cheap, see if I (or more importantly the wife) digs the outdoor experience before dropping real money

it does throw some heat and fans were audible but i was sitting right next to it. built in speakers are fine for social hanging (has a remote) but thin. headphone out similar but enough to drive my ATs i would definitely go alternate audio options for serious viewing

also i did no tweaks to setup so this is first impressions right out of the box
The picture above is from an old firestick 1st Gen over wifi (I ordered a new one for the projector but has yet to arrive)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:45:52 AM »
That looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing your experience.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com