Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Making a Y cable - tips?  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Making a Y cable - tips?
« on: November 08, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »
I am making a TRS> 2 TS "Y" cable for a permanent install situation.  I am making all the cables myself to save money.  I'm looking for tips on the actual build construction of a Y cable.  I want the place where the 3 cables come together to be solid, and not have the actual solder joint to be the place of strain or "load bearing."  These are going to be heavily used cables (lots of plugging and unplugging) so they need to be as solid as possible.  I have an idea that lots of heat shrink is going to be in use.

The wire and connectors that I'm using don't permit me to run two separate wires into the TRS side, I already tried that :)

Thanks for the help in advance!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Making a Y cable - tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:53:18 PM »
Can you run two wires into one of the TS connectors?  One wire would be from the TRS and the other would be to the other TS.  That way you could use the connectors as strain relief.  It is possible to buy TS connectors (and TRS also) with large barrels.

If you did the Y in-line, you are going to have the solder joint bear the strain unless you fold the cable over itself and zip-tie it.  It would be ugly but it would probably be dependable.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Making a Y cable - tips?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »
Can you run two wires into one of the TS connectors?  One wire would be from the TRS and the other would be to the other TS.  That way you could use the connectors as strain relief.  It is possible to buy TS connectors (and TRS also) with large barrels.

If you did the Y in-line, you are going to have the solder joint bear the strain unless you fold the cable over itself and zip-tie it.  It would be ugly but it would probably be dependable.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Good idea!  I'll keep that in mind next time.  What I ended up doing was putting some RCA female "jacks" on the end of the TS cable pair.  This changes my plan a little bit now, since I can panel mount these jacks into the side of the rack.  Works out nicely.  Thanks for the tips on the other stuff for sure!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com