Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M148 Battery Wiring Scheme?  (Read 2630 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
M148 Battery Wiring Scheme?
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »
Well, after doing some head scratching, I've figured out the reason my new old m148 doesn't work has nothing to do with the battery charger.  Turns out I actually was sold an m118!  Since I've got CMC5 schoeps bodies, the 18V provided by the m118 won't power my mics.

So, obviously I need to give my preamp a sex change...change the m118 into an m148.  Does anybody have the battery wiring scheme handy for the 148...or perhaps is the wiring loose inside your 148 so you can see the basic wiring scheme between the batteries and posts?

I know it uses eight 6v power sonic batteries and they have to be connected in series, but Heath tells me that they're connected in a funky arrangement of two-three packs and one-two pack.  The pictures in thread history confirm this too.

Before someone suggests contacting Heath and Doug, yes I've contacted Heath and his response is that he usually just keeps the m148 wiring intact when he replaces the batteries so he doesn't really know from memory what the scheme is.  He did say that he thought there was a wiring schematic somewhere in the ts.com history but I can't find it anywhere. 

As far as contacting Doug, thread history suggests that Doug won't give me any details and I'm trying to avoid this costing me more than the cost of the replacement batteries.

I'll send it in to Doug if that's what I need to do, but would like to see if this thread results in any success first.

Thanks!

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: M148 Battery Wiring Scheme?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:14 AM »
I have a diagram somewhere that was drawn a while back, but locating it seems to be the issue.  Worst case scenario, if we can't find something I will open the bitch up and the memories might come rushing back.  Lord knows I've done enough of them.  And the box itself is fairly basic--not too many places the wires can go ;)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »
Also, I still recommend emailing Doug, as he has been more than willing to provide me with info when working on these in the past.  ymmv
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
Have you given any thought to seeing of someone who has a M148 might want to trade for the M118 first before you start changing things in the M118?

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »
Not really, but this one has all but dead batteries, so I have to buy new ones anyway if I traded.  That said, I'd rather reconfigure and have new batts than trade this one out with new batts only to get someone elses 148 with non-new batts. 

Nice thought though!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
im sending mine to heath for a battrery change. he is free to do whatever needed to aid.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.197 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com