Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Core Sound Anybody use their system in the los angeles area  (Read 5514 times)

Offline junglechuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Core Sound Anybody use their system in the los angeles area
« on: February 16, 2007, 05:27:56 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a system by Core sound.  I'd like to hear it.
I currently use a Sony dat TCD D8 and Sonic solutions DSM mics.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Core Sound Anybody use their system in the los angeles area
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:35:06 PM »

Please search this site for info about Core Sound.  Lots of opinions.  A search should be able to describe what you would and would not get in dealing with CS.

There are several other manufactures and vendors for products in the same vein at the Core Sound products.  Giant Squid and Church Audio to name a few.  Chris Church is a member here so search for him and you'll be able to see his products.

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:43:21 PM »
yes search the site. I used (emphasis on past tense) their products.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:31:21 PM »

I would also contact Core Sound and talk to someone there ask for sample recordings.. I would also do a search for "live recordings core sound" something like that. I am sure there are a lot of people here that have used the Core Sound product. Also remember that the Yardsale section here is a good / safe place to purchase used Mics like Core Sound and others. You don't necessarily have to purchase them new.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

sml42

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »

Please search this site for info about Core Sound.  Lots of opinions.

My opinion is to steer well clear of Core Sound. This is based on personal bad experience with dealing with them... never again.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »

Which Core Sound mics are you interested in hearing?  You can find samples on all of the show download sites.  Searching for CSB or HEB yeilds a lot of results on archive.org, etree.org, etc.  You should be able to find recordings of bands and venues similar to the ones you intend to record.

Before purchasing from any vendor, you might want to search here and on the dat-heads archive to get insight regarding the level of after sales service and the character of the vendor with whom you will be dealing. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »
Yeah, seems like Coresound is not great.

My experience is they don't answer specific technical questions a DIY type/geek like myself would ask.  And they are a bit overpriced, especially on the standard CSB mics.

It is too bad they are not more responsive, since they have developed some great projects over the years...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 04:26:14 PM »
I have the system, and live around the LA area as some others on the board. Depending on what system your looking at I would say check the system your considering on the boards prior to purchasing.  Another site to check is LIVE 2496 Forum: http://live2496.com/  There you'll find not only support from the software developer Gordon Gidluck but also other users in one spot that can tell you objectively what they think. Unless I had a PDA and WASN"T interested in stealth recording I would consider this system. If you referring to the PD-Audio system I would compare the costs of media and the hardware to purchase it. The PD-Audio card is around $200, the MIC 2496 ACD: $500, and cables and media are extra. For that kind of money there so much more available in smaller packages with I believe just a good performance. You can reach me off list with any specific questions as well.
Surf

DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »

hopefully those aren't knock off sonic studios you're using right now.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »

hopefully those aren't knock off sonic studios you're using right now.

There is knock off sonic studio mics? I have neve heard of that before. Do they look exactly the same?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:06:18 PM »
Just saw the response to this post.

We've been faithfully serving the taper community for 17+ years.  Each year we help a few thousand folks with equipment and advice.  If we get 20 repairs back in the shop each year, we consider that a lot.  Considering that there are over 10,000 sets of our mics being used out there, that's a very small number.

We're not perfect; we screw up now and again.  We can't satisfy everybody, but we try.  We have thousands of satisfied customers, but it only takes a handful of unhappy folks to make it seem like we don't do a good job, and that's simply not so.

Please have a look at the 30+ pages of user comments on the CSB and HEB microphone pages.  That's what the folks we help really think of us.

Feel free to call us if you want to talk or need advice on a taping rig.  We've been doing this for a very long time, have brought significant innovations to this community (clip-on binaural mics are our invention as is high resolution recording on PDAs) and continue to do so (have a look at TetraMic, HeadLine, 2Phant).  Unlike some of the other vendors who serve our community, we really understand audio engineering and concert taping, and the sound quality, reliability and usablity of our products are second to none.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Just saw the response to this post.

We've been faithfully serving the taper community for 17+ years.  Each year we help a few thousand folks with equipment and advice.  If we get 20 repairs back in the shop each year, we consider that a lot.  Considering that there are over 10,000 sets of our mics being used out there, that's a very small number.

We're not perfect; we screw up now and again.  We can't satisfy everybody, but we try.  We have thousands of satisfied customers, but it only takes a handful of unhappy folks to make it seem like we don't do a good job, and that's simply not so.

Please have a look at the 30+ pages of user comments on the CSB and HEB microphone pages.  That's what the folks we help really think of us.

Feel free to call us if you want to talk or need advice on a taping rig.  We've been doing this for a very long time, have brought significant innovations to this community (clip-on binaural mics are our invention as is high resolution recording on PDAs) and continue to do so (have a look at TetraMic, HeadLine, 2Phant).  Unlike some of the other vendors who serve our community, we really understand audio engineering and concert taping, and the sound quality, reliability and usablity of our products are second to none.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

I agree the products are innovative.  The tetramic looks cool.  Hopefully some people will try this.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 09:35:02 AM »
Unlike some of the other vendors who serve our community, we really understand audio engineering and concert taping, and the sound quality, reliability and usablity of our products are second to none.

Lets try to not turn TS in dat-heads please.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline imazephed

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • No time left now for shame
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 10:18:47 PM »
ROFLMAO I just noticed that Len had -31 tickets. My first mic's were csb's I still run them stealth once in a blue moon. I agree that there are much better mic's but the service wasnt bad for me. Just my .02 cents
Schoeps mk4,mk41>kc5>cmc6>van den Hul Mic>Oade ACM V3>722 
csb>mzrh10

"WINNING"

Offline 2amuse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »
I have both a set of Church Audios and Core's binaurals.  I have found them both, Len and Chris, helpful.  My history with Len of Core goes back to 2001 and although he might be slow on emails, he always has time to talk to you on the phone.  I think his products are well thought out and perform excellently.  Chris of Church Audio was also helpful and tried to be patient with my redundant questions.  In both cases I think I have ended up with great products and would buy more from them both as long as they want to put up with me.

Re: the DSM mics. 

How do you like them?  Why are you thinking of changing?  The samples on his site sound remarkably good to me.

Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com