Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording from front row...or close to?!  (Read 23851 times)

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recording from front row...or close to?!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
In my experience, "Front Of House" usually refers to the sound and light booth out in the middle of the audience, or the folks who work there.

Historically speaking "Front of House" means up at the front of the building near the doors. That would be "behind the audience". FOH goes back to small clubs where the sound guys set up at the front so they could make sure everyone in the audience could hear the stage., if they could hear it back there they know the audience could hear it okay.

So why does the band these days set their sound guy up beside or on the stage? Because they do not know what they are doing.

Real music venues with their own sound system usually do have it set up in the front of the room, usually on the side opposite from the bar.

This isn't correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_of_House

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
In my experience, "Front Of House" usually refers to the sound and light booth out in the middle of the audience, or the folks who work there.

Historically speaking "Front of House" means up at the front of the building near the doors. That would be "behind the audience". FOH goes back to small clubs where the sound guys set up at the front so they could make sure everyone in the audience could hear the stage., if they could hear it back there they know the audience could hear it okay.

So why does the band these days set their sound guy up beside or on the stage? Because they do not know what they are doing.

Real music venues with their own sound system usually do have it set up in the front of the room, usually on the side opposite from the bar.

This isn't correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_of_House
Right.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »
taping from the front row works FINE!!!!

listen to the subtle nuance of McCready's guitar that a rig even 10 rows back would have missed:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129384

a Crowes '10 recording, also taped from the front row, will be upped soon there as well. Rich (Robinson) was a monster.

don't listen to the negative Norman's (they have little to no experience recrording from the front row as is)

just DO it, keep your gain low (if possible), and rock out with your c*** out!!!!
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »
I never taped from front row, but close to. From my own experience, clubs often mix in mono. That means you'll get a poor balance if taping from front row or close to a stack. Arenas often mix in stereo.

In most situations, I wouldn't tape from front row. Sound tend to get better if you can move a few rows back until you reach a point where you lose clarity and definition. Depending on what kind of act you're taping, you might get barely audible vocals when taping front row.

But pulling a good sounding tape relies on soooo many factors : your taping spot, your mics, venue PA and speakers setup, sound guy, high vs low ceiling, concrete vs brick walls, ...

You were talking about Rammstein I think ?
Well, that must be an arena gig. I'd suggest you to get a seat in the tier (if available), near to a speaker and to point a pair of cardioid mics right at it.

Edit: oh, and always try to mount your mics as high as possible. Shirt/chin level is not high enough. You could do better. ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:10:43 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »
The guy wants to go to a show with his girl.  This is a no brainer. Go to the show and tape from the front row. Have a great time with your girl that will have a great time. And you can pull a great recording, too. Could you pull a great recording somewhere else? Probably. But, recording from the front row can be great, too. Enjoy the show and have a great time.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »

listen to the subtle nuance of McCready's guitar that a rig even 10 rows back would have missed:

I listened to both Jeremy and Black and the mix is unbalanced. Vocals can sound slightly nebulous at some points while electric guitar is upfront.
Also, the recording sounds distant, echoey and suffers from heavily distorted low end.

Still, you're right : taping from the front row can work FINE. Not this time thought.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 02:25:18 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
The question is...

Are you going to a show and taking your girlfriend?  Or are you taking your girlfriend to a show?
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 01:11:07 AM »
The question is...

Are you going to a show and taking your girlfriend?  Or are you taking your girlfriend to a show?

Shows, girlfriends and taping rarely mix.  If all three do you know you've got a keeper...   :o  even two of three is exceedingly rare. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:12:53 AM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 04:20:46 AM »

a Crowes '10 recording, also taped from the front row, will be upped soon there as well. Rich (Robinson) was a monster.

don't listen to the negative Norman's (they have little to no experience recrording from the front row as is)

just DO it, keep your gain low (if possible), and rock out with your c*** out!!!!

Too many variables to take in to account, furburger. I don't think 1st row is always optimal, but it can be at times.

We've had a few disagreements on this board in the past, but I do agree a decent tape *can* be made from the front row...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 05:52:01 AM »
The guy wants to go to a show with his girl.  This is a no brainer. Go to the show and tape from the front row. Have a great time with your girl that will have a great time. And you can pull a great recording, too. Could you pull a great recording somewhere else? Probably. But, recording from the front row can be great, too. Enjoy the show and have a great time.

BINGO! I'd do THIS, if I even taped at all! Taking a GF to a show is one thing, but taping is another beast completely! Especially if this ISN'T her scene and music, or if she's EVER even seen a taper before lol ;) If she's actually COOL with it, then tape from front row and enjoy the show. Period.

IMO if a band has vocals, then taping TOO CLOSE is just a waste of time IMO! The vocals are almost always distant and shitty sounding, while other instruments like guitar/drums are VERY loud in the mix. That said, taping that close can also be AWESOME and AMAZING sounding! Just depends on band/venue/mics/etc........When bands DON'T have vocals though, I actually really like recording on-stage/stage-lip/very close! Like Furburger said, you can pick up nuances of sounds/frequencies that you wouldn't catch being farther back!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 09:22:58 AM »

Just wanted to reiterate that this comment isn't right. Usually when you see a band with their own sound guy at a board by the stage, he's there to give the band their own stage monitor volumes and mix.  The FOH guy, who in my experience more often works for the venue, knows the room and the venues boar, and he/she is mixing for the room and/or the sound that is coming from the PAs.

Offline graywolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
Just wanted to reiterate that this comment isn't right. Usually when you see a band with their own sound guy at a board by the stage, he's there to give the band their own stage monitor volumes and mix.  The FOH guy, who in my experience more often works for the venue, knows the room and the venues boar, and he/she is mixing for the room and/or the sound that is coming from the PAs.

I'll buy that, in general.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »
The question is...

Shows, girlfriends and taping rarely mix.  If all three do you know you've got a keeper...   :o  even two of three is exceedingly rare.

^^^^^^^ This. QFMFT  :smash: :smash: :smash:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »
2nd row dead center:
https://archive.org/details/2003-12-05.paf.schoepsmk4v.taraski-bigham.22026.sbeok.flac24

front row lower balcony dead center:
https://archive.org/details/2003-12-05.paf.bk4021.ericv.21013.sbeok.flacf

The 2nd row recording is mine.  It was too close and I knew it, but I didn't want to give up the great seat.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
Cool.   Curious.  The Beacon is a really tough sounding room in the wrong places (and there are lots of those there IME).  I'd want to be close if I was doing audio there. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com