Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth taping -- rain  (Read 26406 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: stealth taping -- rain
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »
Don't submerge them. Water-resistant is probably a more accurate term.

Serious weather chasers stealth with hydrophones.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:07:45 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
ok... water-resistant. But how in the world can DPA make mics like that?

mfrench

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
The word from Bruce Myers *regarding the 406x series (paraphrased, but asked of him multiple times, and answered directly to me):
To clean them, immerse them in distilled water, swizzle them to remove contaminants, shake them out, plug them in to assist in drying.

They'll be deaf until they're dried out. So make sure that you have that kind of lead time built into any equation.

*edit - adding clarity
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:25:24 PM by mfrench »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »
Immerse & swizzle. That is pretty waterproof, still I'd only do it with distilled water as specified.

ok... water-resistant. But how in the world can DPA make mics like that?

Dunno. Being electrets probably has something to do with it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2009, 09:27:37 AM »

Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

wklitz

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »
If it's raining enough for me to think about worrying about my mics getting soaked, odds are I've already blown off the show, as I have no desire to stand in the rain, one shower a day is my limit. that being said, I have had plenty of shows in rain without the mics getting wet.  key is windscreens or other foam on the capsule, even in torrential downpours, it's unlikely the water will seep all the way through both the hat and the foam.  Of course be cautious and also tape around all connections (capsule to active/remote cable, cable to body, body to xlr).

I have never had a problem using the above precautions, never seen even a drop of water on my mics.  I havent really done any rain taping since the GD days though, as unless it's a legendary dinosaur rocker that I may not get the chance to see again, I'd rather stroke it at home than stand in the rain.

I HAVE heard the results of Schoeps MK4V's (luckily not mine) under protected in the rain and yeah, that can't be good in the long term, though they did dry out and work fine now.

Offline red

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »
thanks for all the thoughtful replies.  turns out my weather forecast is clear, but it's always nice to be prepared. 

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »

Offline Hank Mardukas

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2018, 10:01:10 AM »
Has anyone experimented with water repellent spray on a windscreen?  I'm wondering if this would do the job in a stealth situation and still be acoustically transparent.

Something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-Upholstery-Protector-Repellent/dp/B00KMYYQ36?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2581561011

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »
Helps reduce moisture saturation from humidity and indirect splatter, but will not counter direct rain droplet hits on the upper surface of the windscreen.   You need some sort of physical water barrier above the microphone.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
If its a light shower, then my exterior head clothing will suffice.  I might add an interior bandana as well, and if necessary changing it during the set.  I do the same for JazzFest or other very warm weather recordings, where sweat, not rain, is the main issue. 

Honestly, if the show is a full downpour, I won't record. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
Honestly, if the show is a full downpour, I won't record.

Same. I try to avoid outdoor stealth situations in general

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
As Scooter123 says.  There is a sliding scale where I would pull the plug.  If its a major act for me I will push it a little further than if its just another gig.  This past summer I was debating o do the Van Morrison day at British Summer Time at Hyde Park.  Rest of the lineup that day sucked so I passed on it.  As it turns out the skies opened up for 2 1/2 hours that coincided with the Van set so glad I spent the day at  the march and in pubs.  It was a downpour that I would have pulled the plug on taping anyone.

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2018, 04:45:10 PM »
Went to Tesla/Joan Jett/Styx last summer and sat on the lawn for the first time.  Dry for Tesla and then the heavens opened up just as JJ was starting  and they shoehorned everyone under the canopy. We got stuck in the very back so every time the wind blew a big downpour hit, we got soaked. Still managed to tape the show holding my little Tascam up near my face (wasn't going to risk my mics) and tried to shield it from the rain. It got a little bit of water in one microphone which cut in and out so I thought it was toast for a while. Dried it out good when I got home and it seems to work just fine.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2019, 01:15:07 PM »
Another option if possible during the circumstances are to wrap a piece of old newspaper and arrange over the mic´s...the thicker the better result...covers the mic´s and usually don´t provide any unwanted "sounds".

Also a thicker kind of rain-wear where you can put the mic´s covered under the rain-clothes might work.....Don´t try a "poncho" as it is to thin and you´ll hear the raindrops/wind on the mic´s.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com