Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: looking for small diameter 4-conductor (star-quad) cable for mini-XLR  (Read 9152 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: looking for small diameter 4-conductor (star-quad) cable for mini-XLR
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »
I made several mic cables and interconnects with 1804a. I highly recommend it.

Newark is more expensive than Full Compass but they have it in stock in 100 ft rolls and they ship fast.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=500003+1000065&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=1804a&Ntx=

when you strip the conductors be extra careful, it's easy to lose half the strands, then after you twist it up snip a little bit off the end before you tin it, that helped me to keep stray strands from shorting out between the solder cups

Careful with the glue....too much and the locking mechanism gets stuck.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen. LOL.

Seriously, I'd like to see the fruits of this labor...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »
lots of good info in this thread... thanks everyone :)

I'd like to see the fruits of this labor...

I'll probably place the order today for the cable and mini XLR's.  the mics aren't even here yet (I'm expecting them to be delivered tomorrow), and I'd like to take a look at the stock 10ft cables that come with them and verify that there is no active electronics in them with my own eyes before I go ahead and make a couple other pairs.  and the next few weekends are already booked up, so it might be a little while before I find the time to sit down and make these cables.  But when I do, I'll take some pictures and document the process :)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »
FWIW, when I made 'actives' for the MBHO cables (no actual active electronics in MBHO cables) I just mimic'ed the wire routing 'from' and 'to' between each mini-XLR pin on the stock cable (used a continuity tester), rather than following any pre-fab or prescription routing scheme.  I did that just in case there might have been a custom wiring scheme for the MBHO's mini-XLRs.  Plus it was just easier for me to do it that way than trying to see (with my lousy eyesight) which pins inside that tiny little connector are designated on the plastic sheaths as being pin 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Probably insulting your intelligence by telling you this, but ... (just trying to pass along as many 'lessons' that seemed worthwhile as possible.)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
thanks for the tip.  I have a continuity tester, and that sounds like a good idea, especially because its 4-pin male to 5-pin female, it seems like I want to triple-check that I have it all connected correctly :)

and the mics just got delivered, they're sitting on my desk now.  So when I get home this evening, I can inspect the stock "active" cables closely.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »
and the mics just got delivered, they're sitting on my desk now.  So when I get home this evening, I can inspect the stock "active" cables closely.

Sounds like you get all your stuff delivered to you at work too.  Our mailroom 'guy' knows that I'm into electronics of some sort because he's forever bringing me boxes of goodies...and of course it's never from a 'real' company, such that he'd somehow miscontrue that maybe once in awhile a box that I receive is actually work-related!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com