Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Preamp for a Neumann SKM184 > ? > Sony PCM D50 setup  (Read 16133 times)

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
Re: Best Preamp for a Neumann SKM184 > ? > Sony PCM D50 setup
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »
TaperJ is getting a 788

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fitz - I have the Skm 184 and run them directly into a SD 702.  Love the sound I get!

Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
TaperJ is getting a 788

Oh dear... I guess the cat's out of the bag.  ;D Yeah jmbell, I'm teetering between a 744t and a 788t-SSD right now, I bought an Olympus LS-10 to run on until I make the decision, I had to tape Mike Gordon a month or so ago and in a pinch I just got what was available at guitar center the night before which was the LS-10.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »
TaperJ is getting a 788

Oh dear... I guess the cat's out of the bag.  ;D Yeah jmbell, I'm teetering between a 744t and a 788t-SSD right now, I bought an Olympus LS-10 to run on until I make the decision, I had to tape Mike Gordon a month or so ago and in a pinch I just got what was available at guitar center the night before which was the LS-10.

Dang wish I had known I would have shipped ya my M10 for ya to use in the meantime.. Oh well guess you can re-sell that LS-10 or keep it as a backup/patcher!

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline Fitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:21 AM »
Ok.. so I am pulling the trigger on used Grace Designs Lunatec V2, the feedback you guys have provided has been great and I really appreciate it.. I am begining to understnd the expense of this hobby even before I make my first recording, but it was choise I made to "buy right versus buy twice..."

Anyway, as I research the V2 I am not sure how you power it while in the field.  Can someone provide some guidence on that?  Assume the longest field recording I will do is 4 - 6 hours providing 48V phantom power to a pair of Neumann 184KM mics.

Thanks

Offline sparkey

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 02:19:15 AM »

Anyway, as I research the V2 I am not sure how you power it while in the field. 

Have you bought one yet?  I'm itching to buy a camera and have a V2 with two Wally World batteries that I might sell.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 10:22:54 AM »
  :-X 

Ok.. so I am pulling the trigger on used Grace Designs Lunatec V2, the feedback you guys have provided has been great and I really appreciate it.. I am begining to understnd the expense of this hobby even before I make my first recording, but it was choise I made to "buy right versus buy twice..."

Anyway, as I research the V2 I am not sure how you power it while in the field.  Can someone provide some guidence on that?  Assume the longest field recording I will do is 4 - 6 hours providing 48V phantom power to a pair of Neumann 184KM mics.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:55:10 AM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline sparkey

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
thanks guy

Why don't you get an optimod V3 since you have a D50? 

Thanks

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »

Thanks

Why don't you get an optimod V3 since you have a D50? 

thanks guy

:lol:

it doesn't help that a used optimod V3 is just about double his stated budget limit.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »
Wasn't trying to step on your toes!   It does ask best pre for a D50.  I changed the post to make you happy.   :-*
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:54:34 AM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline sparkey

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »
Wasn't trying to step on your toes!   It does ask best pre for a D50.  I changed the post to make you happy.   :-*

I didn't figure you were intentionally trying to step on anyones toes....just...uh...yeah :-)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
I knew I'd heard that somewhere else.  :D Now I remember, it was while we were waiting for the sun to go down one afternoon, maybe Sunday after the acoustic set.

Yep, I do believe we discussed that out at Festival 8 page, good memory :)

The tape out on the mixpre should be a consumer signal, it says the tape output clips at +11 while the xlrs clip at like +20. It may not solve your problem necessarily, but it might give you the option to run without the attenuators. Feeding it a weak tone signal, I bet the tape output is about 10db cooler. Food for thought is all.

Yeah, I had thought about the tape out as I had mentioned but since the MR-1 is fairly unique in that it has 2 balanced 1/8" ins as opposed to a single stereo mini input I would have had to get a new cable to run off of it. At the time I just went with the attenuators since I had them and they proved to work fine. My MR-1 finally died after rolling about 200 shows a few weeks ago so it's now a moot point for me.

Whatever Fitz chooses, I suspect he'll be happy.  :)

Agreed.

It died only after 200+ shows ??? That BLOWS!!!! I thought the MR1 and MR1k were more rugged and higher quality than that :P :'(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »
I wouldve gone w/ a V2 as well, so good choice there ;)

And I use 7.2v 4500mah RC Car Batteries to power my 722. They would work equally well powering a v2 because i used to power my old v2 w/ them. 2 or 3 7.2v 4500mah rc batteries would power your v2 fior MANY HOURS ;) Just get an rc battery plug>4-pin xlr cable made like i hyave and youre good to go. Only takes around 2 hrs to charge a DEAD battery too :) I also used to use ecocharge  batteries to power my v2/v3 but those are like dinosaurs now. But if you can find ONE 7.2v ecocharge and charger, then you'll be SET, and that would weight just about asd much as the 3x7.2v 4500mah rc batteries....

Good luck on yer quest ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com