Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: preamp>r44  (Read 8369 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: preamp>r44
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »
I'd still like to see a comp of the stock -44 vs. the 680.

Between you, hi and lo, and I we could make that happen. ;)

We already have too many 'planned' comps and, believe it or not, too few opportunities to get them all done. If only I could bring a pack mule to a show.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »
^^ Yeah, agreed.  Not to mention, the time needed to mix it all down.

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
^^ Yeah, agreed.  Not to mention, the time needed to mix it all down.

You guys don't have like, jobs or anything too, do you? ;D

cashandkerouac

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
^^ Mine is the Oade Mod version... I think the Oade mod version is a good bit brighter and tighter, while the stock version is darker and a tad muddy.  Hence you have to be careful running a brighter pre analog-in to the Oade mod versions. 

i agree.  when i first got my R-44 with the Oade concert mod i was running my Aerco MP-2 between my Sennheiser MKH8040s (or MKH8050s) and the R-44.  it lived up to expectations and i liked that sound (i've always been extremely happy with my MP-2).  but i tried running the Sennheisers straight into the R-44 and i was just as happy. 

acidjack's comment makes a lot of sense.  the Sennheisers have an extremely flat response curve and they pull a lot of bass.  with the "bright and tight" sound of the Oade concert mod it pairs wonderfully with the Sennheisers... no external pre necessary in my opinion.  i'll be using my Aerco MP-2 with my M10 as a second rig.  the Sennheisers > MP-2 > M10 sounds awesome. 

Offline picklemic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »
Wow guys, digging this thread. So I was thinking of getting my R-44 modded, but my Akg 522 MS is a bright mic to began with. So a bright  mic and an enhanced mic pre with extra highs doesn't sound like the right mod for me. So does anyone have an opinion on the difference between the Oadee mod and the Bus mod?
AKG 522 c the pickle,v2,v3,R 44

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »
Wow guys, digging this thread. So I was thinking of getting my R-44 modded, but my Akg 522 MS is a bright mic to began with. So a bright  mic and an enhanced mic pre with extra highs doesn't sound like the right mod for me. So does anyone have an opinion on the difference between the Oadee mod and the Bus mod?

Oade will actually return your emails when you ask him about doing it.   :P

I didn't have the option at the time, but if I were looking to improve the sound with my -44 now, I'd just get a USBPre2.  That way you get a really clean HQ pre, headphone amp, digital interface, and machine that can let you sync 2 44s.  I realize it costs more than the mod, but it's a piece of gear that I find to be really versatile and useful for a lot of different purposes.

As to the 'brightness' of the mod, don't get me wrong, it's a pretty subtle difference.  It's nowhere near the level of brightness imparted by a pre like the Oade 248.  I just noticed that with DPA 4021s, in particular, they gave them a nice little extra sparkle and the recordings sounded tighter. With my MK41s, I didn't always like the sound as much as I do some of my other pres. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline picklemic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
I own a V-2 & V-3, I was just more or less if their is much difference between an oadee or bus mod. I like to run my mic without the Grace once in a while.
AKG 522 c the pickle,v2,v3,R 44

cashandkerouac

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
my experiences with Chris Busman and Doug Oade were both excellent.  even though my Busman modded DR-680 didn't work out, Chris really tried his best to help me through it.  he was very responsive and i would not hesitate to do business with him again.  Doug Oade has also been wonderful.  i've never had a problem with my R-44, but Doug's communication is great.

as for the comparison between the Busman mod and the Oade mod, i cant say.  my Busman mod was on the DR-680, and my Oade mod is on the R-44... they are two totally different machines.  however, both Chris Busman and Doug Oade do great work.  you've got two wonderful options. 

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
I am running a sd442 into my r44 with km140s and km150s as mikes this way I can matrix them on the fly or get a sbd feed and run 6 channels into a 4 channel deck
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
I am running a sd442 into my r44 with km140s and km150s as mikes this way I can matrix them on the fly or get a sbd feed and run 6 channels into a 4 channel deck

interesting, love to hear results.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com