Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question For R-09 Users  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
Question For R-09 Users
« on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
I've been recording w/ an R-09 for some time and have ALWAYS run my mics "line-in."
It was just brought to my attention that some folks run "mic-in."
I did a little searching and found a couple posts which mentioned running "mic-in" for very intimate acoustic performances.
Guess I'd like to hear about running "mic-in."  Is there some benefit (over "line-in") I don't know about?
TIA.
:)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Question For R-09 Users
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »
I've been recording w/ an R-09 for some time and have ALWAYS run my mics "line-in."
It was just brought to my attention that some folks run "mic-in."
I did a little searching and found a couple posts which mentioned running "mic-in" for very intimate acoustic performances.
Guess I'd like to hear about running "mic-in."  Is there some benefit (over "line-in") I don't know about?
TIA.
:)

Hi Josephine. You know, I'm always looking for a reasonable answer to your question. Being a Line In R-09 user, I just don't understand why some folks do prefer the more noisy input, Mic In ( so they say).
I'd really like to know too. :hmmm:

Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
mic in is noisy and I don't know why some users choose that input, good question.  I run line-in with the 9100 pre and get very clean recordings.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »
A year and a half back when the input jack problem first started popping up, my line-in went, so I switched over to using the mic input for about 6 mo. until I finally sent it back to Roland.  I just reduced the gain on my preamp a bit.

In doing so I found a better combination of preamp & R-09 gain settings so when I got the unit back and switched back to using the line-in on the R-09 (after epoxying the jacks down on the replacement board), I kept running my external preamp at lower gain and bumped the R-09 up to the 13-17 range.  I had been trying to keep the R-09 at around gain 10 before and sometimes had to turn it down below 8.  I think that was eating up too much headroom in the external preamp.

Now I feel most comfortable in the 'teen' gain range zone and only use the line-in when using an external preamp, which is almost all the time.  Nice to know I can switch over to the mic in without sonic compromise if the jack ever fails again, though.

No other reason to use the mic-in with an external preamp unless you need the additional gain - the noise performance is technically worse, but I never heard any difference at reasonable gain settings.  I only use the mic-in on my second R-09 for plug-in powered mics without an external pre.

For reference- I'm typically going 4060>MMA6000>R-09 with the R-09 set to 13 (adjusting that if necessary once rolling, rarely) and the MMA6000 set around +10db, never more than +20db, and sometimes closer to +5db depending on the style of music and amplification level to peak between -12 and -6dbFS @24bit.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
Well, I thought mic in was to power different mics when you're not using a pre-amp. If you have a pre-amp/battery box, like the 9100, I would think you would always want to use the line-in function. Its like using the headphone jack on a CD player when you have a line out...of course you want to use line out.
I generally think people would use mic in when they don't have a pre-amp and the audio they are trying to capture is too quiet.

Any others?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »
Well, I thought mic in was to power different mics when you're not using a pre-amp. If you have a pre-amp/battery box, like the 9100, I would think you would always want to use the line-in function. Its like using the headphone jack on a CD player when you have a line out...of course you want to use line out.
I generally think people would use mic in when they don't have a pre-amp and the audio they are trying to capture is too quiet.

Any others?

Agreed. I just can't see any other reason. If you have at least a bb, Line In is the way to go.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:41:06 AM »
With a busted line-in jack I haven't had fixed yet, I use mic-in all the time.  No extra noise for me so far, not using plug-in power, running with a battery box.  Runs about 8dB hotter than line-in.

Using DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > R-09, most loud rock shows I end up running the input levels between 8 and 11.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com