Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Smallest XLR recorder  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Smallest XLR recorder
« on: November 17, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
I know this is very much a matter of opinion, but specs sometimes don't tell it all.

At the present moment, which is the best compromise, particularly in noise and audio quality, for a small recorder using XLR inputs?

Quite likely Sony, Tascam or Zoom, but there might be others I do not know.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Sa da tay!
Re: Smallest XLR recorder
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »
Sony is out for XLR unless you use a very expensive add on.

Tascam DR-40 would be the smallest, I believe.

Zoom H6, Tascam DR-100MKII and DR-44WL are about the same size at about 1.5 times the size of the DR-40.

I have never used any of these recorders.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:55:37 AM »
I think the Olympus LS-100 is about the same size as the DR-40.  I've never used either, but did see them side-by-side in a display case and they were quite close... 

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »
I went have a look at all XLR models B&H sold, arranged by top rating.

Of course Sound Devices models were on top of all, but when I got to smaller affordable types, the ones I compared were the Zoom H5 and Tascam DR-40.

The Zoom H5 is 20mm shorter and 30mm less wide than the Tascam DR-40. Which is better to put it on top of a video camera or DSLR.

Then I had a look at the reviews comments, particularly on pros and cons. The sample is high enough on both (103 vs 461). No cons for the Zoom, several cons for the Tascam.

Tascam is $90 cheaper.

Audio specs are scarce, but Zoom claims -120 dBu or less for the XLRs. No comparable data on the Tascam. No distortion specs on the Zoom.

Whoever used any or both of these models may comment further. Particularly on video applications.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
The more direct competitor to the Zoom would be the Tascam DR70d which has an extensive thread here.  The 70d seemed to be the hit around here until some members started having glitches due to what appears to the 70d being particular about cards.  For video use, it does not have a manual gain control out to the camera that can be adjusted on the fly like the 60d.  60d-folks complain about it being the size of a block of butter, but it works for video.

There is the new DR701 which looks interesting in that it can capture timecode out from the camera and start/stop via a HDMI port.  (Canon 5d/Panasonic gh4, I think do this).  $599.  If you do a lot of video that has to be syncd and have the cameras that output timecode via HDMI, it's something to think about.

Zoom F8 seems to be getting good reviews here.  8 channels packed into a very small body.  Apparently has timecode for about $1,000. 

I'd be looking at use first and worry about size last. 

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
If size is no concern, The DR-60D has been rock solid for me. The form factor is no issue for me. I have had no issues with my DR-70D but the card issues others have had means it will be relegated to back-up duty, most likely forever.

I would select a unit that can run on USB bus power. Which the DR-40, H5 and DR-60D all have. I can run 48v phantom on two channels for at least 16 hours with a 12000mah USB battery with my DR-60D.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »
Sonosax mini-r82

Korg MR-1 (no phantom though)

Neither have XLR's on board due to there size but both have balanced inputs that can directly work with XLR's

The r82 has phantom power and true professional grade pre-amps - but will cost you at $4k (the inputs are on 2 locking binder connectors)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:36:34 AM »
No one mentioned a 661. Used price is down and it's a solid great sounding deck with xlr inputs, p48 and spdif in. And I've stealthed it several times, it can be done.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Bruce Watson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »
At the present moment, which is the best compromise, particularly in noise and audio quality, for a small recorder using XLR inputs?

Smallest I know of is the Tascam DR-10x. If you want stereo you need two of them. But you can plug it directly into many (most?) mixers, at mic level. Or, you can use it like it's intended and plug it directly into a mic. Except it doesn't supply phantom power. But it is very small. Sadly, for what I want it's still too big. I'm wanting something that's little bigger than an SDHC card, but will take line level signal from a five pin XLR and record stereo to said SDHC card.

Yeah, I know. Good luck wi' dat. Sigh...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:32:54 AM »
No one mentioned a 661. Used price is down and it's a solid great sounding deck with xlr inputs, p48 and spdif in. And I've stealthed it several times, it can be done.

THIS

not the tiniest but hard to find something more full featured for its size
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »
Tascam DR100mkii has been great for me.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.302 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com