Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

SD MP-2 vs SD Mixed Pre

(1/2) > >>

waltmon:
Are these the same box?  I see the Mixed Pre 2's available on EBAY...wasn't sure if MO-2 was just a nickname or what...I've really come to love the warmth of the SD pre's and am swapping my V-2 out of my current rig and going MP-2...

Thanks all.

darby:
sound wise, the MP-2, Shure FP-24 (made by Sound Devices) and MixPre are the same
I never ran a MixPre-D (has digital out) but ASSUME they sound the same
the USBPre2 sounds closer to your V2, but you should consider hanging onto it as well
there are times when a cleaner preamp sounds nicer than a warmer preamp

drewloo:
The Mixpre and MP-2 are similar but not the same.  The Mixpre is the ~same as the Shure FP-24.  They all use Lundhal input transformers.  MP-2 has a little bit hotter output and can do mid/side mix on the fly.  MixPre can be turned down low enough to output no signal at all and the channels can be panned to the left/middle/right.

I own/run both an MP-2 and a FP-24 and don't hear a difference in the sound.  Here's a previous post discussing the mp-2/mixpre   http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=121232.msg1617995#msg1617995

waltmon:
also looking at a 302 or a 442...442 seems to have way more features than the additional channel of phantom...concerned a bit on weight...about 4 lbs no batteries

thunderbolt:
I have a 442, and it is a big boy, but THE match for my 744.  I have my gear on wheels so the weight isn't really an issue, and the flexibility is great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version