Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: field recorder or...  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Bruce Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
field recorder or...
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »
I've been mostly a dialog guy. Boom poles, shogun mics, small lightweight field mixers and recorders good for just a couple of tracks. But I'm starting to pick up more work in music, particularly acoustic music. All location work, no studio work. So I'm thinking of picking up a bigger better field recorder with more tracks for this. I can see flying a Decca tree and having some spots, so I'd need 6 or 8 mics in play and a way to record them.

I'd like, of course, an SD 788t, but I can't afford it, so I'm looking at a Tascam HS-P82 instead. Reports here and on other forums are encouraging about the mic pres.

But before I do this, is there a better way? It's 2014, technology keeps improving, all that. I was looking at a Soundcraft Si Expression 1, which would give me 16 channels. But it's big, would require a desk to set it on, I doubt I can battery power it, and it requires at least a computer to do the recording.

I've just got this nagging feeling that I'm missing something. Am I?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: field recorder or...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
I don't own nor I have used either one.

From what I've read, I think they are aimed at two different market segments.  The SD seems aimed at recording what's there to record just the way it sounds.  The Soundcraft seems aimed at being a mixing board with built in audio processing.  The SD's reputation is built around being able to record with it and never miss a beat.  Anytime you have to bring a computer to record live, your reliability is only as good as your computer and the most recent software updates to it.  And then the computer is something else that has to be powered. 

Also from what I've read, a lot of people are happy with the SD preamps and do not feel the need to add external preamps.  Some folks that use boards feel the need to add external preamps, but I don't know if this is or isn't the case with the Soundcraft.

Then there is the convenience factor of one SD box versus mixer + computer + case to haul around. 

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
I have seen the Tascam HS-P82  being sold relatively cheap from just a year ago, as well as a used one pops up now and then on a few industry consignment and used merch sites.  The Tascam HS-P82 is just too big IMHO.  I love the features of this unit, but will you be using it to it's fullest potential would be my question. 

You note the Soundcraft Si Expression 1, Why not spend the extra and look for a SD 663?  I had just come across one that was a demo for sale at $2600, which is what the Soundcraft roughly sells for. 

The Roland R-88 has also dropped in price, as to which you may want to look in that direction, but again this is a large recorder. 

Is there a preference in recording to CF or SD Card?

The Tascam does have the nice digital setup if your looking to utilize digital mics such as the Neuman KM184D's, but so does the SD663?

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
I own a hs-p82 and prefer the pres on it to the sd 7xx series.   But I would not want to lug it around all day as it is rather heavy and large

If it's going to run on a cart, bag on ground or table then no problem but you wouldn't want to run it over your shoulder with a boom

How many pre-amps do you need? If it is more than 3 then the 633 may get big as well

What are your exact requirements?

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
I've been mostly a dialog guy. Boom poles, shogun mics, small lightweight field mixers and recorders good for just a couple of tracks. But I'm starting to pick up more work in music, particularly acoustic music. All location work, no studio work. So I'm thinking of picking up a bigger better field recorder with more tracks for this. I can see flying a Decca tree and having some spots, so I'd need 6 or 8 mics in play and a way to record them.

I'd like, of course, an SD 788t, but I can't afford it, so I'm looking at a Tascam HS-P82 instead. Reports here and on other forums are encouraging about the mic pres.

But before I do this, is there a better way? It's 2014, technology keeps improving, all that. I was looking at a Soundcraft Si Expression 1, which would give me 16 channels. But it's big, would require a desk to set it on, I doubt I can battery power it, and it requires at least a computer to do the recording.

I've just got this nagging feeling that I'm missing something. Am I?

For music work, the AETA 4MinX is great and has been bought by quite a few for this work.

Prices start at just under £3k in the UK and it's quite a bit cheaper than the 788T for a quality that is at least equal (some say better).

For my music recording I have both a 4MinX and  Nagra VI (but, for the same quality, the 4MinX is about £2.5k cheaper).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com