Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: patching from UA5?  (Read 9410 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
patching from UA5?
« on: February 11, 2004, 07:46:58 PM »
I know this is a newbie question, and I did search(however unsuccessful).  Is it possible for someone(without mics) to patch into my rig?  im running a UA5.(can it go in and out at the same time?)  If so...what cord would they need?  Any on the back?(coaxail, optical, etc?)  Thank you for your help...sorry for da newb question.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 10:47:26 PM by razorback »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:patching?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 08:06:38 PM »
what are you recording into?
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
Re:patching?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 08:44:42 PM »
sorry, i have MK 012's --> UA5 --> Laptop  I was wondering if someone else could patch with a MD?
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re:patching from UA5?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 10:28:28 AM »
yes. They will need the appropriate cables for their MD to go from any of the three outputs on your UA-5 (RCA, Coax, Toslink).
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 10:39:54 AM »
Also (I think) you will have to run at 24/48 in order to send a viable signal to a MD or DAT.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 11:06:27 AM »
Also (I think) you will have to run at 24/48 in order to send a viable signal to a MD or DAT.

You definitely don't need to do this.  
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 11:17:01 AM »

You definitely don't need to do this.  

I think what BeckyT was saying is that you can't record a 96k sample rate to the laptop and still patch MD or DAT.

16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1, and 24/48 should all pass a signal to patching MD or DAT.  If you are doing 24bit, the MD/DAT will trucate to 16bit - not ideal, but it will work.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline quantegy

• Taperssection Regular
  • AKG 391's > UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 12:41:10 PM »
Also, I think it needs to have the digi-mod to use the USB, coax and optical all at the same time. I dont think the stock UA-5 sends a signal to all the outs. I could be very wrong though.

Offline mirth

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 12:42:30 PM »
The stock UA-5 will send two digital signals.... Always via the USB and then also to either the coax or optical, depending on how the switch is set.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 01:13:52 PM »
The stock UA-5 will send two digital signals.... Always via the USB and then also to either the coax or optical, depending on how the switch is set.

The switch sets which input it uses: optical/coax.

-Kevin

Offline mirth

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 01:28:24 PM »
I've always been under the impression that the switch is for both modes. Don't have the manual in front of me, though, and Edirol's site doesn't have an online version.

Offline quantegy

• Taperssection Regular
  • AKG 391's > UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 01:35:54 PM »
im pretty sure kevin is right, the switch is for the inputs.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 01:37:08 PM »
Also, I think it needs to have the digi-mod to use the USB, coax and optical all at the same time. I dont think the stock UA-5 sends a signal to all the outs. I could be very wrong though.

Its definitely easier if you have a digi-mod since it always has the USB, coax & optical active at the same time without any special software settings.  You can do it with a stock UA5, but you have to use the USB in duplex mode by doing real time monitoring of the recording through the software.  Not all software will allow this.  What happens is the signal passes from the UA5 via USB to the computer, then the software will allow monitoring by sending signal back to the UA5 via USB and out the analog and digital outputs.  In this situation, you may only get one digital out - coax or optical, selected by the switch on the back of the unit.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 02:09:13 PM »

Its definitely easier if you have a digi-mod since it always has the USB, coax & optical active at the same time without any special software settings.  

Thanks for the help guys, The last post was exactly what I was looking for.  Can anyone point me in the direction for the DIY digimod?  I searched the archives, and a few other places, but could find no instructions for this, Iknow my searching isn't the greatest yet.  Thanks in advance!
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 03:56:47 PM »

Its definitely easier if you have a digi-mod since it always has the USB, coax & optical active at the same time without any special software settings. 

Thanks for the help guys, The last post was exactly what I was looking for.  Can anyone point me in the direction for the DIY digimod?  I searched the archives, and a few other places, but could find no instructions for this, Iknow my searching isn't the greatest yet.  Thanks in advance!

here ya go :)

http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/UA5/ModifyUA5.htm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:53:19 PM by Brian Skalinder »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com