Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: patching from UA5?  (Read 9303 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re:patching from UA5?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 06:38:36 PM »
wow, that was fast..you guys are great!  
Thanks
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 05:07:48 AM »
If it's just for patchers why not just get a stereo RCA-to-mini cable?  That way you don't have to worry about frying your UA5 when modding it.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 08:55:35 AM »
so the rca will still do output while im recording, without having to run the usb in duplex mode, and monitor thru the software?  That sounds much better than me trying to mod the UA5, b/c im a newb!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline quantegy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • AKG 391's > UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 10:21:22 AM »
yeah, RCAs will work just fine, the mod is for digital only, thus the digi-mod. I wouldnt risk ruining your UA-5 for patchers, its a kind thought but a risk for something that you dont need to record.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 04:50:13 PM »
yeah, RCAs will work just fine, the mod is for digital only, thus the digi-mod. I wouldnt risk ruining your UA-5 for patchers, its a kind thought but a risk for something that you dont need to record.

but what about MD patchers with optical cables, or dat patchers?

if you are good with a soldering iron then the DIY Digi mod is,apparantly, not hard.  Lots of tapers on this board have done it. so if you are not comfortable doing it, i'm sure you could find someone with teh balls and knowledge to do a fine job :) of course that excludes me, cause i suck at electronics

Brian

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 12:17:51 AM »
Just to confirm:
the switch on the back is for input only
the optical and coax output will always operate as a pair - you'll never find one working without the other.

I've spent stupid hours inside this box...
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2004, 05:26:09 PM »
Just to confirm:
the optical and coax output will always operate as a pair - you'll never find one working without the other.
I've spent stupid hours inside this box...

this would be for the stock UA5, correct? if so you are saying that if the USB is connected to a computer, the optical and coax digi outs will enable if they are both plugged in to their respective recorders? i didn't know it could do this and i just want to confirm with you that this is correct.

Brian

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 02:35:07 AM »
I can say for certain that anything coming out of the optical is also coming out of the coax.

I did the digi-mod on my UA-5 as soon as I got it so I'm not sure about the performance of the stock unit.

I can tell you that in a stock unit, the digital signal that is fed to the coax/optical outputs originates at the output of the USB controller.   The UA-5 sends digital signal out thru USB and then gets it back thru USB and passes on to the UA-5 digital outputs.

What I'm not sure of is if it's functional anytime there's a USB connection... or if it's only active when the software is set to loopback the signal to the UA-5 (monitor).

KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline quantegy

• Taperssection Regular
  • AKG 391's > UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2004, 10:57:47 PM »

but what about MD patchers with optical cables, or dat patchers?

Brian

They can both accept an analog feed.

Offline herrmann2burn

• Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2004, 11:10:49 PM »
Also (I think) you will have to run at 24/48 in order to send a viable signal to a MD or DAT.

You definitely don't need to do this.  

I think what BeckyT was saying is that you can't record a 96k sample rate to the laptop and still patch MD or DAT.

16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1, and 24/48 should all pass a signal to patching MD or DAT.  If you are doing 24bit, the MD/DAT will trucate to 16bit - not ideal, but it will work.
Craig, I dont understand something...How would the UA-5 detect that your LT is set at 24 bit, and therefore change the digital out? Arent the Bit Rates independent with your recording Device, and only the Sample Rate is Dependent on the UA-5 Setting?
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

cpclark

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 02:54:12 AM »
i do think that you have to loop the audio back to the ua-5 when it is stock, b/c i tried to use a dat as backup using the coax and it didnt pass a signal, im using soundforge 6, anyone know how to activate this so i can always back up my laptop recordings

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 10:13:02 AM »
Also (I think) you will have to run at 24/48 in order to send a viable signal to a MD or DAT.

I think what BeckyT was saying is that you can't record a 96k sample rate to the laptop and still patch MD or DAT.

16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1, and 24/48 should all pass a signal to patching MD or DAT.  If you are doing 24bit, the MD/DAT will trucate to 16bit - not ideal, but it will work.
Craig, I dont understand something...How would the UA-5 detect that your LT is set at 24 bit, and therefore change the digital out? Arent the Bit Rates independent with your recording Device, and only the Sample Rate is Dependent on the UA-5 Setting?

I'm assuming LT=laptop.

The UA5 doesn't detect anything.  you have to set the bit & sample rates.  the sample rate is set by the dial on the front.  the bit rate is set by the switch on the back.  For 24bit, you want the switch to be set to "ADV-ON" (or something like that) for "advanced mode", but you also need to make sure your recording software is set to 24bit (& whatever sample rate you're using).
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline herrmann2burn

• Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2004, 12:21:45 AM »

I'm assuming LT=laptop.

The UA5 doesn't detect anything.  you have to set the bit & sample rates.  the sample rate is set by the dial on the front.  the bit rate is set by the switch on the back.  For 24bit, you want the switch to be set to "ADV-ON" (or something like that) for "advanced mode", but you also need to make sure your recording software is set to 24bit (& whatever sample rate you're using).
Craig-
Yeah, i have ADV set to ON when i have my UA-5 Hooked up to the LT(yep, Laptop) so i can record 24 bit, becuase that allows the UA-5 to operate with the Special Drivers to use with other Recording Programs and record at 24 bit.  When it is set to OFF, you would use the Standard Drivers, and only record at 16 bit.
What i dont understand is-Are you saying that when the ADV is ON, it will manipulate the Digital Signal from a Coaxial or Optical Cable when someone is patching?  I was under the impression that the ADV ON/OFF switch only affects the USB Signal/Driver.
What is getting me confused is the Reply you made-"If you are doing 24bit, the MD/DAT will trucate to 16bit - not ideal, but it will work."
Why would the MD/DAT Trucate to 16bit?  Wouldnt the MD/DAT just pull a 16bit Rate?

Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

cpclark

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2004, 02:56:58 AM »
can you have the 24 bit driver installed to do 24 bit tapes, then switch back to 16 bit to do digital transfers.  i just dont want to have to reinstall drivers evertime that i tape my band then have to do 16 bit transfers to my laptop from the dat recordings i make when taping other bands, anyone have any experience with this, i would love to do both 24 and 16 bit tapes without much of a hassle, just thought you couldnt have both sets of drivers installed at the same time?

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 09:52:23 AM »
I have the "advanced" driver installed, but I've still switched the ADV to "off" and recorded 16bit a few times without problems on an XP machine.

The ADV on/off controlls the a/d converter, so if you have it set to "on", it will send 24bit to all digital outputs.  This means if you have a digi-mod UA5, you'll be sending 24bit to the USB, coax & optical.  I'm not sure what it means if you have a stock UA5 - I would think any software monitoring would be at the same bitrate you are recording at.  If you connect a 16bit device (JB3, MD, DAT) to the 24bit output, they will truncate to 16bit.  I've done this with a DAT as a safety net in case my USB recording to the laptop had issues.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com