Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 getting interference from JB3?  (Read 4952 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
UA-5 getting interference from JB3?
« on: November 25, 2004, 02:42:42 PM »
I've had a few tapes recently whree I got some weird interfernce that I thought was from a cell phone in my bag.  I'm starting to think  it might actually be coming from the UA-5/JB3 combo instead.  The way my bag is setup, the bottom of the JB3 is leaning against the same dividers as the bottom of the UA-5.  Anybody have any experience with this?  Might be the harddrive noises I've read about too though.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 02:45:55 PM by blu666z »

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: UA-5 getting interference from JB3?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 02:44:39 PM »
hmm, i ran my jb3 sitting on my ua5 a bunch of times with zero problems

Offline blu666z

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 02:46:35 PM »
hmm, i ran my jb3 sitting on my ua5 a bunch of times with zero problems

Let me finish up this tape and I'll snip out a little MP3 and post it.

-Kevin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 03:14:20 PM »
If you're running digital between the UA-5 and JB3, you shouldn't experience any HD-related noise issues.  Post the sample and we'll see...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 05:53:59 PM »
If you're running digital between the UA-5 and JB3, you shouldn't experience any HD-related noise issues.  Post the sample and we'll see...

I might differ on that one...I know what you mean...but I could still see the cell phone causing some sort of write errors (apart from the analog>digital path) that might be audible...

At the Richmond Stockholm Syndrome show...I had all kinds clicks that sound like CD skips...I was using the analog input...so not the same situation...but I recorded maybe 10 shows using the analog in, and this was the only time I got any clicks...I was near a pole that had a bunch of conduit on it...probably a big 220 or service cable...and likely emiting some RF or other electrical flux...and Im not so sure the guy patched out of me didn't have his cell phone in his bag nearby...

Somebody - with a cellphone.... do some tests!!! I would suspect this isn't the best sheilded device...?

Offline blu666z

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 10:41:14 PM »
I'm looking for the song I heard it during.....

-Kevin

Offline drufus

• Taperssection Regular
  • dirty south
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 02:29:28 AM »
it wouldn't suprise me if it was cell phone or EMI noise causing it, my cell phone can put noise though my TV, my computer's audio line outs, and my previous recorder's analog in (i river h-120)
if you have heard it before you can eventually pick up a pattern that it makes each time a call comes in

my unsupported 2 pennies, go test it out, id love to hear about it... ill try to get my JB3 to do it without a UA-5,
or if someone wants to give me a UA-5, id try it too then    ;D
Rode NT4>JB3

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 07:34:06 AM »
I'd love to hear it too if you can post a mp3 when you can.

Was this from the Marcus instore?   There was something going on during the last song(Gravity) but I believe it was coming from the speakers because it showed up on my recording big time.   Can't tell if it was isolated to just left or right speakers..but I think it was both.   I was trying to figure out if there is anyway to edit it out or reduce it with Wavelab.

Attached the mp3(s) from my recording which includes where it starts till where it ends(split up in 2 pieces since it wouldn't let me post the single mp3 because of size).
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline blu666z

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 01:27:38 PM »
I'd love to hear it too if you can post a mp3 when you can.

Was this from the Marcus instore?   There was something going on during the last song(Gravity) but I believe it was coming from the speakers because it showed up on my recording big time.   Can't tell if it was isolated to just left or right speakers..but I think it was both.   I was trying to figure out if there is anyway to edit it out or reduce it with Wavelab.

Attached the mp3(s) from my recording which includes where it starts till where it ends(split up in 2 pieces since it wouldn't let me post the single mp3 because of size).

I heard that too...I decded that was coming from the stacks.  Still trying to find the song I heard the 'cell phone' in.  Here's the Elevate Your Souls clip....nothing wrong with it....just thought I would throw it up while I keep looking for the other.

http://home.comcast.net/~blu666z/meaton-elevate.mp3

-Kevin

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 01:56:47 PM »
It's conceivable that the JB3 could induce some noise into the analog circuits of the UA-5 simply by being close enough.  The pre is doing major gain and anything that gets in there is amplified.  Try a recording, monitoring thru headphones on the JB3.  Don't hook up any mics, crank the UA-5 gain and move the JB3 around different spots of the UA-5 and see if you can get some noise coming thru the headphones.

Make sure to actually record on the JB3 so you get all the hard drive activity of normal operation.  The hard drive activity is every 9 seconds so stay at least that long in each position.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 04:35:50 PM »
I might differ on that one...I know what you mean...but I could still see the cell phone causing some sort of write errors (apart from the analog>digital path) that might be audible...

Maybe.  I wouldn't expect write errors to introduce artifacts into the audio stream, though.  Result in a corrupted file, maybe, but not likely artifacts in the audio stream proper.  I think it's far more likely an analog issue, as David and other suggest.  At any rate, sucks!  Hope you get it sorted, Kevin, and let us know what you find out.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline blu666z

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm still trying to find the spot again...I'll find it....I hope.

I've had this problem once before.  Totally different venue.  That time I had a cell phone in the bag and I just assumed that was it...but this time I had no phone in the bag which is why I am starting to lean towards the JB3.

-Kevin

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 06:59:31 PM »
if i had to guess, i would say that it is someone else's cell phone that caused the problem.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 08:51:30 PM »
My cell phone creates an audible buzz in my stereo in my car. It's actually how I can tell someone is calling me since most of the time the stereo is loud and I can't hear the ring. I would lean towards a cell phone interference rather than a JB3 issue. Still doesn't hurt to rule it out though.
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

hexyjones

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 09:59:11 AM »
My cell phone creates an audible buzz in my stereo in my car. It's actually how I can tell someone is calling me since most of the time the stereo is loud and I can't hear the ring. I would lean towards a cell phone interference rather than a JB3 issue. Still doesn't hurt to rule it out though.

I was seeing a band last weekend, and the guitarist had his cellphone on top of his amp...when it rang...it made a loud hum through the amp...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.393 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com