Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Intel Compute Stick  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
The Intel Compute Stick
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:59:27 AM »
Anyone have one?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html

The Intel® Compute Stick1 is a new generation compute-on-a-stick device that’s ready-to-go out-of-the-box and offers the performance, quality, and value you expect from Intel. Pre-installed with Windows 8.1* or Linux*, get a complete experience on an ultra-small, power-efficient device that is just four inches long, yet packs the power and reliability of a quad-core Intel® Atom™ processor, with built-in wireless connectivity, on-board storage, and a micro SD card slot for additional storage. It’s everything you love about your desktop computer in a device that fits in the palm of your hand.

(mods please move this to the right forum, sorry about the misfire)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:23:30 AM by Life In Rewind »

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: The Intel Compute Stick
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »
Wow, that is pretty dope.

Thanks for sharing.  I'd like to get the Linux versions. :)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
Anyone have one?

Not likely as it states:
Coming 2015

Bookmark this page, and then set a reminder to check in soon. Intel® Compute Stick launches later this year; look for new details, product specs, and availability information.

Product and Performance Information
1This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

Looks really interesting - plug into a monitor and have a functioning computer. Hope I remember to check back for availability (and pricing).

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
HDMI doesn't give power the way USB does so you still need a USB power source from some place I believe (many Tv have them these days) but this is pretty cool.

Any TV is a smart tv now

Instead of a laptop carry around a small monitor keyboard, and mouse and this thing. Much easier to keep on a keychain or something and less likely to get stolen because less likely to be unattended.

Build this into my phone. I've long wanted a phone that could be the brain of my workstation, tablet, etc and be as mobile as a phone. Forget syncing all my devices... One device to rule them all.  It's always been just a matter of time. Maybe the time has come.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
Windows 8.1 version available now from select retailers. Newegg shows it in stock, Best Buy says coming soon; both show $150 for the Windows version while BB shows $100 for Ubuntu which Intel indicates will be available some time next month. Gizmodo gives it a poor review though. Hope to find other reviews once the Ubuntu version is released. I'll wait til then to make a buying decision.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
I, too, was pretty hot on this little guy until I read some reviews.  After doing so, I ended up buying the HP Stream Mini instead:

http://gizmodo.com/hp-stream-mini-review-a-deceptively-capable-tiny-deskt-1692158242

I have a "cube server" presently sitting my in my living room but after I move next month, I didn't want to have a cube sitting in the living room so I bought the above box.   Not a fan of the colour but with an addtional 2GB of memory, the box is VERY capable and can stream HD audio and video from another room in the house.   Just made more sense.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com