Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right channel suddenly drops mid-recording  (Read 5560 times)

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Right channel suddenly drops mid-recording
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
I have been recording for the last year with the following setup:

Schoeps MK-4V > nbob active cable > nbox platinum > RCA to stereo cable > Sony PCM-M10 (line-in input)

The entire rig other than the Sony PCM-M10 were purchased a year ago (purchased new).
In the last two concerts that I went to, at the middle of the show, the right channel drops to very low levels and there is some noise that is suddenly added to the channel.
I am taking very good care of my equipment and I have made sure that the batteries in the M10 and in the nbox are charged.

I have tried to replicate this behavior while not in concert and I haven't been able to.
I only record stealth. My Schoeps mics are stationary and I never remove them from their holder.
I didn't want to start tinkering with the equipment mid-concert (settled for a mono recording), so once the concert ended, I unplugged the mics from the line-in input and plugged them into the mic-in input.
Both channels worked as expected. I then plugged the mics to the line-in input again and suddenly everything worked great.

I have attached the sound file where the channel suddenly drops. I would love to hear any suggestions since I am really baffled by this behavior.
Thank you in advance.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Right channel suddenly drops mid-recording
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »
Clean all connections thoroughly, particularly the TRS stereo mini plug > M10 line-in jack.  Also consider gaff-taping the miniplug securely to the M10 so it cannot be accidentally pulled out ever so slightly, which can make one of the signal paths go intermittent/noisy or drop out entirely.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »
Thank Gutbucket for the quick reply.
Can you please advise on what is the best way to clean the M10 line-in jack without damaging the electronics?
Mid-show, when I saw the channel dropped, I did try to twist the mini stereo connector and push it in deeper to see if it could reconnect but it didn't work.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »
99% Isopropyl alcohol (95% works too, just contains a bit more water) or electronics connection cleaner like Caig Deoxit.  You can use a tiny brush (like a mascara brush) to clean the jack, or simply clean the plug well, then re-wet it with alcohol or cleaner and plug/unplug/rotate it in the jack to clean the internal jack contacts.

What I posted earlier is the first thing which comes to mind, a common problem, and will be good practice to do anyway..
..but I just listened to your sample and it doesn't sound like a dirty or intermittent connection because it seems to manifest as a quick clean fade, not as an immediate cut-out and has no apparent scratchiness or noise during the fade.  That suggests an alternate issue such as a change of gain or loss of power to the mic capsule.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »
Do you have any guesses to what may be the culprit for the power drop in the right mic capsule?
The strange thing is that it happens mid recording. In the first show it happened after 34 minutes and in the second after 20.
The only thing that comes to mind is maybe some issue with the batteries in the nbox in case the batteries are separated for the different channels.
I switched now between the capsules to rule out an issue with the mics but I think it must be something else.
I am also attaching the right channel drop from the first concert. Maybe it can provide some additional information.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:24:03 PM by bucsab12 »

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:48:22 PM »
I've had similar things happen with my M10 on occasion — one channel will gradually fade to a lower level, then sometimes the other will follow. Changing batteries in the battery box seems to have fixed it, but honestly I'm not entirely sure if that was coincidental or not.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
What kind of batteries are using in the nbox?

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:32:15 PM »
I own the nbox platinum that requires four 9v batteries.
I use the latest version of the low self discharge Powerex 9.6v batteries.
I will try to change the battery order in the nbox.
By the way, while charging the batteries, I have noticed that 2 of the 4 have lost much more power than the other 2.
I try to change the order after every charge but I never ubderstood why there is such a substential  difference in power consumption between the batteries.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »
If you have a meter I would test their voltage after charging. I have had issues with a couple of them not fully charging.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:00:21 PM »
By the way, while charging the batteries, I have noticed that 2 of the 4 have lost much more power than the other 2.
I try to change the order after every charge but I never ubderstood why there is such a substential  difference in power consumption between the batteries.

If it's the batteries causing the issue, that should be easy to re-create at home.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:58:44 PM »
The ‘vintage’ nbox draws down each pair at a different rate. The instruction are to change 1 set every show and the other set every other show. Not sure if the platinum version operates the same way.

Here's an explanation why....

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=150820.msg2002227#msg2002227
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:18:07 AM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 01:04:48 AM »

If it's the batteries causing the issue, that should be easy to re-create at home.

I would use regular alkaline batteries for the next 2-3 shows, fresh set for each show.  Just to see if the problem reoccurs..just m $0.02

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 01:32:00 AM »

Beat me to it.

I would use regular alkaline batteries for the next 2-3 shows, fresh set for each show.  Just to see if the problem reoccurs..just m $0.02

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:39 AM »
Thanks guys for the answers.
I have tried to replicate the issue at home today.
I have placed my mics in front of my stereo while playing some heavy rock music with a lot of bass.
I can't get the levels really high because of my neighbors so I set the levels on the M10 to 10.

At first I used the exact same setup as I had in the last two concerts.
After some time, the issue happened again, and the levels on the right channel dropped.
At that point, while the M10 is recording, I moved the stereo connector from the line-in to the mic-in input and back and the levels were fine again.
After that I switched between the caps to make sure that the issue is not caps-related.
Sure enough after some time, the levels on the right channel dropped again so at least I know it is not the caps.
I have a voltmeter and I will check the battery levels later this weekend when I get a chance.
I will try to disconnect them directly after recording to get the voltage level before they get a chance to recover.
I will also try to use alkaline batteries as you have suggested to see if this is really a battery issue.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:49 AM »
I suspect the batteries.

If at all possible, measure them while still under load in the device after the problem occurs to get an accurate reading.  If not, take them out and measure them with a battery tester, or under some other load with a voltmeter.  They partially recover to near nominal voltage quickly, which can hide a failing battery when tested directly with a voltmeter. 

Took me a while to figure that out when I had some Powerex 9.6Vs reaching the end of life causing similar issues.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.241 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com