Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: LD's picking up "extra" crowd noise.......  (Read 2215 times)

Offline OhioHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
LD's picking up "extra" crowd noise.......
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:44:12 AM »
Ran my Oktava 319's in the taper section @ the SCI show tonight, picked up "a bunch" of talking behind the TS, anybody who runs LD's for open aud taping have have any suggestions for a "baffle, etc." to prevent the back pick up?  I was about 9.5 feet tall.

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: LD's picking up "extra" crowd noise.......
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »
Run hypers when possible
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »
If you're picking up unwanted sound behind the mics hypers might not solve the problem as they have a rear lobe of pick up, too.  Might just have to go up higher with the mics. 

A venue I used to record a lot of shows at had a pool table in the back but directly in line with the mics and the stage & when I ran hypers I would pick up every time someone broke a rack of balls.  Not so with cards.  Luckily they 86'd the pool table eventually.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:48:27 AM by drewloo »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »
Well--the thing is, a microphone's polar pattern is three-dimensional, and cardioid is quite a broad pattern all around--not just in the horizontal plane. A microphone with a narrower pickup pattern is narrower all around, not just in the horizontal plane.

Yes, a supercardioid/hypercardioid has a rear lobe BUT it is markedly less sensitive than the main, front lobe (by >11 dB for a true supercardioid, 6 dB for a true hypercardioid, and something in between for microphones whose patterns are in between), and once again the rear lobe is also narrower in both the vertical and horizontal plane than the main, front lobe is. So all in all, a supercardioid/hypercardioid will pick up distinctly less room sound, as compared to on-axis sound, than a cardioid--despite the presence of the rear lobe.

--best regards

P.S.: The attached composite shows two nice pseudo-three-dimensional polar graphs as published by Beyer. This may help to visualize the situation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:33:14 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 01:06:13 AM »
too bad there are no 3d representations of hyper and super patterns in http://taperssection.com/reference/images/polarpatterns/ as I find the omni and card .gifs make it easy to visualize the way those patterns translate from 2d to 3d (for me better than the Beyer-sourced drawings Mr Satz posted)

< though the following "by >11 dB for a true supercardioid, 6 dB for a true hypercardioid" makes me think the two patterns are either mislabelled or my understanding of them is faulty >
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:18:01 AM by flipp »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »
too bad there are no 3d representations of hyper and super patterns in http://taperssection.com/reference/images/polarpatterns/ as I find the omni and card .gifs make it easy to visualize the way those patterns translate from 2d to 3d (for me better than the Beyer-sourced drawings Mr Satz posted)

< though the following "by >11 dB for a true supercardioid, 6 dB for a true hypercardioid" makes me think the two patterns are either mislabelled or my understanding of them is faulty >

^
The gifs at that link (http://taperssection.com/reference/images/polarpatterns/ ) are mislabeled.  Hypercard is closer to figure-8, supercard closer to cardioid.  >11 dB less sensitivity at 180 degrees compared to 0 degrees on-axis for a true supercardioid means the rear lobe is smaller than a true hypercardioid with a 6 dB difference.

Also- since two microphones are being used together as a stereo pair rather than individually, when thinking about pickup of room sound and sound arriving from directly behind or back quadrants, it can be more useful to consider the combined pattern of the two overlapping each other.  In that sense, two cardioids, angled apart from each other in a typical stereo pattern, produce something resembling a single subcardioid pattern when overlaid upon each other in combination - there is no clear rear facing "null" in their combined pickup.  Two supercards in a similar stereo configuration combine to resemble something resembling a single forward facing cardioid.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:27:45 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com