Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: LD's or CA 14's........  (Read 3300 times)

Offline OhioHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
LD's or CA 14's........
« on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:22 PM »
This Friday The Dead & Company roll into Cbus, I have an official taper ticket.

Assuming I can get my mic's 11 feet in the air, do I run Bill S modded Oktava 319's (fixed card's) or CA-14's?

The Oktava's will go into a 1.5 (2015) LittleBox > M10, CA's will go CA-9200 > M10........

What would you run and why?  I would run both rig's but I only have 1 M-10.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: LD's or CA 14's........
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
I would think you will get better bass response with the Oktava 319's and they will certainly be quieter than the ca's, not that it matters in a loud environment. 

Have Fun! OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »
This has nothing to do with your mic selection, but the 2015 littleboxes were v1.

Thanks Jon for the clarification!

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »
I would think you will get better bass response with the Oktava 319's and they will certainly be quieter than the ca's, not that it matters in a loud environment. 

Have Fun! OOK

When I ran he 319's @ SCI a couple of weeks ago I picked up a "ton" of talkers & I am trying to prevent this.

SCI was @ a smaller venue and was set up @ the SBD but not an "official" taper section.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »

Have Fun! OOK

When I ran he 319's @ SCI a couple of weeks ago I picked up a "ton" of talkers & I am trying to prevent this.

SCI was @ a smaller venue and was set up @ the SBD but not an "official" taper section.

I don't know how CA-14s will solve that problem but they will certainly sacrifice some quality.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
Oktava's all the way.  You  are never going to pull a tape with no talking or crowd noise, but the higher up you can get those mics it will help. 
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:55:29 PM »
Thank you Barrett & AJ.......Oktava's (high as possible!)> Littlebox 1.0 > M10 Friday night it is.......

Was looking @ the DH LD mic positions last night because I wondering if I should run a tighter spacing and I realized I misplaced the orginial mic holders, when I went to my Rycote's.......:shakehead & :kickdirt tear apart bedroom tonight........

Oktava's all the way.  You  are never going to pull a tape with no talking or crowd noise, but the higher up you can get those mics it will help. 
Barrett

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
To maximize pickup of the direct sound from the PA and minimize pickup of ambient sound from everything else (the room and audience), without changing your position in the room or your microphone pickup pattern, raise the mics up high and point them directly at the speakers (the stacks).  That's the PAS (Point At Stacks) microphone configuration technique. 

The remaining mic-configuration variable you have control over at that point is the spacing between the microphones.  As the angle between microphones gets narrower, the spacing between them should be made wider to compensate for the narrowing angle.  So when recording from farther back, your mics will have less angle but more spacing between them.  From closer up front, the mics will have more angle and less spacing between them. 

The following table is a quick guide to appropriate spacings between the two microphones as determined by the angle between them when they are pointed the mics at the stacks.  If you can't setup the mics with as much spacing as is called for in the table, get them as wide apart as you can and open up the angle slightly, so the mics are pointing just a bit outside of the stacks.

An easy way to estimate the angle between stacks is by standing at the recording location, closing one eye, and holding a fist out horizontally at full arm's length.  While squinting though one eye, count how many adjacent fists it takes to cover the space from the center of one stack to the center of the other.  A fist at arms length covers approximately a 10 degree angle, so if you measure 6 fists between the two stacks, that's approximately a 60 degree angle.  A 60 degree angle between mics ideally calls for a spacing of 48cm (~19") which may be difficult to do unless you have a wide enough mic-bar.

[edit- here's a link to the TS discussion thread with details on where this comes from and why this works- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167549.0]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:43:30 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 02:45:09 PM »
Thx u Gut!!!!!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »
U r welcome Ohi!

The PAS technique is intended to optimize clarity and pickup of the direct sound from the stage and PA as much as possible compared to the reverberant and crowd sound.   Doing that is more important than optimizing the "stereo-ness" of the recording, which is more of a secondary nice-to-have thing in the grand scheme of what is most important for a recording to sound acceptable.  PAS using an even more directional pickup pattern than cardioid, such as supercardioid or hypercardioid, can help even more with this.  Good stereo imaging and envelopment isn't worth much if the main sound of interest is overly distant, muddy, and buried in room reverb and crowd noise.   Moving the recording position is the best answer, but that isn't always possible, so this helps makes the best of a position which may be a bit too far back, is too reverberant or has more crowd noise than one wants.

When your stereo mic setup has only a minimal amount of angle between the pair of mics, as is usually the case with a PAS setup, using a wider spacing as compensation is a compromise to improve the "stereo-ness" of the recording.   What you loose in level-difference between channels by the mics not being angled apart as much, is compensated for by having more time-difference between channels from the wider spacing. 

Basically what this is doing is trading level-difference stereo (produced by the angle between directional mics) against time-difference stereo (produced by the spacing between mics).  A narrow angle and close spacing will produce a rather monoish recording.   A wide angle and too much spacing produces a hole in the middle.  But within those extremes we can trade angle against spacing to some extent, and the PAS table is a way of doing that to best effect while maximizing clarity and pickup of the direct sound by having directional mics pointed directly at the sound sources of interest.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com