Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)  (Read 110074 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 06:55:12 AM »
Not sure if this has already been tried...

I inserted an SD card with some 4-track DR70D recordings (@24/96) into a DR680.

The DR680 asked me to make a system file, which I did, but then it would not see the DR70D files. When I looked in "BROWSE", it only showed an empty folder.

So unless I've done something wrong, a DR680 will not play DR70D tracks.

When you made the system file is that formatting the card? If so that could account for the missing files. I dunno
Either that or the system file created by the 680 expects a different file / folder structure than the 70D uses.  If the tracks are still there then the card obviously wasn't formatted by the 680.  Does the card with the 680 system file read in the 70D?

I erased the DR680 system file before re-inserting the card into the DR70D. When I get a chance, I'll try a DR680 card in the DR70D. My guess is that in the same way that the DR680 ignored the DR70D system file (I think I could have recorded new audio files on the DR680 without disturbing the DR70D area of the card), the DR70D will not see the DR680 stuff.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 07:34:55 AM »

The DR680 asked me to make a system file, which I did, but then it would not see the DR70D files. When I looked in "BROWSE", it only showed an empty folder.

When you made the system file is that formatting the card? If so that could account for the missing files. I dunno
Either that or the system file created by the 680 expects a different file / folder structure than the 70D uses.  If the tracks are still there then the card obviously wasn't formatted by the 680.  Does the card with the 680 system file read in the 70D?

I erased the DR680 system file before re-inserting the card into the DR70D. When I get a chance, I'll try a DR680 card in the DR70D. My guess is that in the same way that the DR680 ignored the DR70D system file (I think I could have recorded new audio files on the DR680 without disturbing the DR70D area of the card), the DR70D will not see the DR680 stuff.

Why not just move the DR-70 files into the DR680 folder...and then try it.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »

Why not just move the DR-70 files into the DR680 folder...and then try it.

Sure. But even if it works, it's one more step that would have to be done in a computer. I was hoping for a simple card transfer so you could then control the playback of individual DR70D tracks on the DR680.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »
i'm considering using the 70d for a bluegrass concert this weekend.  From what I've been reading, I assume--I could run a soundboard feed in EXT IN 1/2 ( only cables I have ) and my Schoeps MK4's with PFAs in 3/4.  Considering it's bluegrass I'm assuming I'd run the soundboard and mic gain at HIGH and adjust the pots as needed.  Mics at 48V? 

In BASIC what is PAN and why is it left 12 or some other setting?  Leave this alone?

My other option is to run the soundboard feed into my M10 and run the mics through the Aerco in the EXT IN 1/2.  With the Aerco fixed at 20dB, should I stick with HIGH in GAIN setting?

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »
i'm considering using the 70d for a bluegrass concert this weekend.  From what I've been reading, I assume--I could run a soundboard feed in EXT IN 1/2 ( only cables I have ) and my Schoeps MK4's with PFAs in 3/4.  Considering it's bluegrass I'm assuming I'd run the soundboard and mic gain at HIGH and adjust the pots as needed.  Mics at 48V? 

In BASIC what is PAN and why is it left 12 or some other setting?  Leave this alone?

My other option is to run the soundboard feed into my M10 and run the mics through the Aerco in the EXT IN 1/2.  With the Aerco fixed at 20dB, should I stick with HIGH in GAIN setting?

The recorder has a rudimentary mixer built in...so you want your channels panned hard left/right (leave stock settings). This setting is ignored in MONO mode.

If its your first run - be there for soundcheck.

I'd start with everything in LOW...and adjust accordingly. Easier to add gain than remove overload/distortion.

stevetoney

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

In the first paragraph, it sounds to me like everything you've said is correct except I agree with Life In Rewind to start with gain on low.

The Pan setting is confusing.  When I first saw it, I thought Left 12 meant left channels 1 and 2.  That's not what means.  12 is the number twelve not channels 1& 2.  If you play around with that pan setting you'll see that turning the control causes the pan setting to go from a range of 0 to 12 left panned and 0 to 12 right panned. 

So for stereo recording, you'll want one channel panned all the way to the left...or Left Twelve and the other channel panned all the way to the right...or Right Twelve. (This is the default, by the way.)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:59:27 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 01:03:26 PM »
Cool. 

I'll check with the band about soundcheck.  I have plenty of time to get there and get setup.

I guess one last thing.  Run the MK4's with PFAs MIC+Phantom?  48V?  Can we assign EXT IN 1/2 to 3/4 input?  Putting the XLRs on either side of the recorder is awkward.  Be nice to keep the XLRs on one side and the stereo mini on the other.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:03:42 PM by gormenghast »
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

stevetoney

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
Cool. 

I'll check with the band about soundcheck.  I have plenty of time to get there and get setup.

I guess one last thing.  Run the MK4's with PFAs MIC+Phantom?  48V?

That's right...unless you're using an external preamp in which case your setting would be Line or Mic, but not Mic + phantom.  But if you're plugging the PFA's directly into Channels 3 and 4, then you'll need to make sure channels 3 and 4 are set to Mic + phantom. 

There's a discussion elsewhere where Jon from Naiant confirms that your MK4 will still work with 24V phantom through the PFA.  The mics will have less sensitivity and there will be a higher noise floor, but if you're recording loud music neither of those should make much difference. 

But if you have plenty of battery power, I'd just go with 48V phantom but it you think you might not have enough, then one possible option is going 24V phantom.

stevetoney

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
Can we assign EXT IN 1/2 to 3/4 input?  Putting the XLRs on either side of the recorder is awkward.  Be nice to keep the XLRs on one side and the stereo mini on the other.

Nope.  The menu structure doesn't allow that.  I agree with your comment by the way.

The only options for channels 3 and 4 are XLRs or the internal mics.   :banging head:

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
Something I just noticed.  Channel 3 was MIC only and 4 was MIC+Phantom.  The recorder showed levels for both channels, but upon playback only channel 4 had sound.  Gotta make sure things are correct before you start recording.

I think I'm good to go.  I'll run a test with the ext battery with both a line feed to 1/2 and phantom to 3/4 and see how that goes.  I want to know how the recorder sounds with just the Schoeps caps and the PFAs, but I might bag it and run the Aerco.  Run the SBD feed into the M10.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Can we assign EXT IN 1/2 to 3/4 input?  Putting the XLRs on either side of the recorder is awkward.  Be nice to keep the XLRs on one side and the stereo mini on the other.

Nope.  The menu structure doesn't allow that.  I agree with your comment by the way.

The only options for channels 3 and 4 are XLRs or the internal mics.   :banging head:
It's a $300 deck.  There are several things in the menus and/or software functionality that are silly and need to be fixed, but having user-configurable I/O routing is not something I would ever expect on something in this class.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
Well, it is a Tascam. 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »
Exactly - it's not Sound Devices, Nagra, Aeta, Zaxcom, etc. who you would expect to have that kind of functionality.

That said, with the amount of things in the 70D that are software controlled, they probably could do assignable channel routing with a firmware update if they really wanted to.  It would actually be a really great marketing / sales point for them to be able to say "assign any input to any output" like the "pro" names mentioned above do.  They would be the only one in the price class doing that as far as I know.

One reason I could think of them not wanting to do this is that they might think the customer base who would buy the 70D would not understand how to use a routing matrix, whereas someone dropping the cash on a pro-level unit would most likely have experience with that. 

Also on this particular unit, it's simpler to have that external line in mini jack labeled "EXT IN 1/2" and then you know that those are the only channels it could possibly be recording to.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Joshua_G

• Taperssection Newbie
JWmod
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
It was mentioned that the 4580s and the NE5532s OpAmps are replaced in this mod. Replaced with what OpAmp(s)?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »
Whoever mentioned the sd card swap, what size card is it?
Does the 680 accept that size card?
I ask because with my 60d I put a card in that was to large to see what it did and it seemed fine until I tried to actually record.
So what I am getting at is maybe the 680 can't read the card because it's to big.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com