Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommended portable mic recorder  (Read 7553 times)

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
Re: Recommended portable mic recorder
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 05:56:48 PM »
Rode NT4 can be battery powered and has cardioid capsules.

anyone have any samples from the nt4? I love the rode mics but I have never personally tried the nt4

There are shows on live music archive. Do a search for rode nt4. Listening to a few.

Online jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
2) Small omnidirectional microphones, gaffer-taped directly onto the mirrored back wall, spaced ~3-5 feet apart.
Mirrored back wall? I don't see a mirrored wall there, I see a railing and more people behind the board area back under the overhang.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 09:10:52 PM »
D'oh!

I totally fell for a self-deceiving visual illusion.  I saw the two vertical lines which seem to be cables as seams between large mirror panel sections and the general image grain of the room in back as dirt on the mirror surface and a reflection of the audience in front.  Ha!  Thought the sbd was directly up against a mirrored wall.

Thanks for the eye up, Jeff!

Well, scratch suggestion 2 & 3 then.   :-[
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »
Rode NT4 can be battery powered and has cardioid capsules.

anyone have any samples from the nt4? I love the rode mics but I have never personally tried the nt4

Not a show, just a close miked comparo.

NT4 into H6
H6 XY

The full story: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2013/08/15/zoom-h6-acoustic-guitar-shootout/

Fran

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
I'm off to look search for cheap airline tickets to Bratislava.

If you do, give me a shout.

I'm going there next month- would be good to meet.

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
D'oh!

I totally fell for a self-deceiving visual illusion.  I saw the two vertical lines which seem to be cables as seams between large mirror panel sections and the general image grain of the room in back as dirt on the mirror surface and a reflection of the audience in front.  Ha!  Thought the sbd was directly up against a mirrored wall.

Thanks for the eye up, Jeff!

Well, scratch suggestion 2 & 3 then.   :-[

Yea, that back "mirror" is just plexiglass in-between posts to keep people from touching the sound & light people and to avoid spilt beer on the equipment. Same as the front of the booth, plexi in wood framing, great for mounting clamps though. I am also allowed to mic on stage if I had to, but it would be the same case, probably only allowed 1 up there and no direct feed would be allowed. typically that close never produces much of any desired result anyways. I have a show upcoming this weekend, I guess it is time to do some experimental stuff on separate tracks of the H6 and see if anything works better.

This is the result I got from the H6 on MS RAW last time, so I will leave it at that while I try different options on the other input tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBA9phG22yE

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
If you can put something on stage I'd ideally use two separate setups: one recorder/set-o-mics on stage, with a generally wide/open stereo configuration; and a second recorder/set-o-mics back at the board, with a configuration that was as directional as possible such as supercards or shotguns PAS (pointed at the stacks).  A combination of those two mixed together correctly will be the most likely way to produce best result given the constraints.  The upfront presence, stereo width, percussion transients, and energetic audience reaction will be provided by the onstage setup- mix that wide.  All you really want from the setup in back is as much focus on the PA as you can get for vocal and instrument clarity, basically used as secondhand substitute for a direct SBD feed- mix that narrow.  EQ both to best advantage and each will cover the flaws of the other, including any shotgun off-axis room nastiness.

Yeah, I realize that's more gear than you probably have, and perhaps more that you want to get into in any case, but I'm throwing it out there simply as my best solution to the puzzle given the description of the situation.  Just as an example of one way to go about thinking about it.

I'm off to look search for cheap airline tickets to Bratislava.
If you do, give me a shout.

I'm going there next month- would be good to meet.

Yes indeed, unfortunately we'll have to meet next time.  Too much going on here to get away the next couple months just for the fun of it.  Enjoy!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
Yeah, I realize that's more gear than you probably have, and perhaps more that you want to get into in any case, but I'm throwing it out there simply as my best solution to the puzzle given the description of the situation.  Just as an example of one way to go about thinking about it.

Sounds like a plan, at least it's a starting point. I will arrive another hour early to see what I can fit in on stage.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 05:03:37 PM »
At best the one made from on stage will greatly improve upon the recording made from the back of the room.  At worst its a throw away and you'll still have the one from in back.  Worth a shot.  Good luck.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com