Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158638 times)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2018, 03:40:56 PM »
NOOOOO!

It appears I have a dead 4060!!

I was running the various public betas of iOS 11.3, and thought that the D:vice app only showing Mono available, no stereo or dual modes, was a software bug. 

But, iOS 11.3 has come out, and I can't get audio from one of my 4060's.  I connect it by itself, and nothing... no sound in the Shure Motiv app on my iPhone, and no sound under Windows 10 when I attach the D:vice to my PC.  The other 4060 I have works fine in both situations.

I doubt the D:vice recognizes individual mics, right? I don't have anything else with a micro dot connector to experiment with.

Fiddling with the connector, and wiggling the cable at various points along its length does not give me intermittant sound. I get... nothing, zero, zilch.

Anybody know someone in Canada who can troubleshoot and fix these mics? I want to avoid a package crossing the US border if at all possible. 

Twice in the past year when buying used items from people in the US, Canada customs have charged me various fees anyway, no matter how the items were declaired as used, as a gift, etc. So, I'd really like to find someone who can service a 4060 in Canada, if at all possible.

*sigh* this probably messes up taping Dweezil Zappa later this month...

*grumble*

Yes I've emailed DPA, but the person I've delt with before, René Mørch, is away on vacation until Thursday.

All suggestions gratefully received, and Happy Easter if you celebrate it.

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
Rene from DPA got back to me quickly and directed me to www.gerraudio.com. so, I'll contact them and let you guys know how things proceed.

I had also asked DPA if they had any plans to implement a -10dB or more pad feature in their app, and they said no. *sigh* so, guess I'll be looking for used 4061's to handle louder shows.

Has anyone here tried recording something 115dBSPL, such as a loud metal show, with 4060's and the D:vice app gain control set to minimum? Did things clip?

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
Rene from DPA got back to me quickly and directed me to www.gerraudio.com. so, I'll contact them and let you guys know how things proceed.

I had also asked DPA if they had any plans to implement a -10dB or more pad feature in their app, and they said no. *sigh* so, guess I'll be looking for used 4061's to handle louder shows.

Has anyone here tried recording something 115dBSPL, such as a loud metal show, with 4060's and the D:vice app gain control set to minimum? Did things clip?

I taped Earthless (pretty loud psych-rock band) in a club w/ 4060s > D:vice. It was pretty loud, and I set levels to no gain. Just barely made it...there were some peaks that went over, but nothing audible IMO. '

http://detroitlightning.tumblr.com/post/171881000434/earthless-kikagaku-moyo-jjuujjuu-grog-shop

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »
I'm filling out a request for service form at Gerraudio's Website, and there's a field for serial number. Uh, does this tiny tiny 4060 mic have a serial number on it somewhere?

I'm blind, so before I go ask a handy sighted person to look for one... does it even exist? If so, it would have to be really tiny printing...

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
I'm filling out a request for service form at Gerraudio's Website, and there's a field for serial number. Uh, does this tiny tiny 4060 mic have a serial number on it somewhere?

I'm blind, so before I go ask a handy sighted person to look for one... does it even exist? If so, it would have to be really tiny printing...

There should be white stickers with numbers on them (4061 have red labels/stickers) unless they were shortened.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
My issue is the opposite.  I had been using the MMA6000/Sony D50 alternating with a Sonosax MiniR82, the MMA6000 had up to 40 dB gain and the Sonosax I think around 60 dB.  The d:vice has only 30 dB max, which is plenty for 4060s but often not enough when I use 4081s (with EQ) for quiet chamber music.  Luckily the signal path seems clean enough so even a 12 dB boost in post is not a biggie.

Jeff

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »

There should be white stickers with numbers on them (4061 have red labels/stickers) unless they were shortened.

The serial number is not on the microphone or microdot connector but printed on a small "cuff" wraped around the mic cable, cloer to the microdot end.  With 4060 the cuff is white, with 4061 it is red.  It's about an inch long or so and not much thicker but stiffer than the cable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2018, 10:15:44 AM »
Awesome! Thanks guys!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:57 AM »
DPA is announcing a new product on a webinar... right now!

Live on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp7292JI7ew

what will it be?

IT MUST BE A MUTE SWITCH? The audio started off with greensleeves, but then went dead when the speaker showed up on screen!!!  :lol:

OK he said it will be a preamp

It's called Core, and is said to improve performance at extreme SPL. It's been part of D-Screet since november and now is being added to the 4099 D-vote mics. All new mics will be the core series.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:15:53 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
Anybody know of anyone using the Core versions of the 4060/4061?

Wondering how audible the change is and under what conditions, presumably significant as the SPL limit is approached.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
I have been using a pair of core 4060s since January.  I do not record high SPL but was hoping that the reduction in distortion at lower levels would make a difference.  And I'm fairly crazy, did I miss that?  While I have not done a direct comparison, I do not hear any noticeable improvement, but I might try a core version of the directional mics as well.  Because I'm crazy.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
Aren't we all?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
Aren't we all?

I called dibs first... :yack:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
Anyone have wand experience with the d:VICE and 4061s?

9/10 probably wouldn't even notice if you're holding them with your phone. 
Retired Taper

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #209 on: April 11, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
^ I run mine with 4061s and the Shure Motiv app (DPA app run first in background).

No issues thus far, although I haven't had many outings with this setup.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com