Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Photobucket Boldly Pioneers Revenue Generation and Predicts Bright Shiny Future  (Read 12979 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
 :alert:  Photobucket Boldly Pioneers Revenue Generation and Predicts Bright Shiny Future. . .  :banging head:

On June 28, 2017, Photobucket changed its Terms of Use regarding free accounts and third party hosting (hosting on forums, eBay, etc). Only the most expensive plan, at $399.99 per year, now permits third party hosting and linking to forums, etc. Which effectively alienating a very large percentage of their users, whom only used Photobucket for third-party image hosting. Photobucket made this change with no input or consultation with their current users, or the public. Adding this to photobuckets use of excessive pop-up ads, scams, clickbait advertisements, and in some cases viruses embedded in ads, the number of active account quickly decreased.

This new business model has caused thousands of forum DIY's and write-ups with explanatory pictures to be rendered useless. Ebay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs. Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after the photo-sharing service changed its terms.

Photobucket offered free and subscription based (Plus) accounts. Free account users received 2 GB of storage for photo and video uploads, 10 GB of transfers (which they call "bandwidth") per month for sharing and linking, and unlimited access to Photobucket’s editing, slideshow, and Story features. "Plus" accounts were structured into storage tiers offerring unlimited bandwidth, use of site features, and an advertisement free experience.

The following described subscription pricing as of October 2016:
2 GB - free
20 GB - $2.99/month, $29.99/year
50 GB - $4.99/month, $49.99/year
100 GB - $8.99/month, $89.99/year
200 GB - $16.99/month, $169.99/year
500 GB - $39.99/month, $399.99/year <<--- (As of June 30, 2017, the only option that allows embedding/hotlinking)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:54:09 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
Unless my avi is blank and no one's told me... (thanks,kids...) then my PB account is still working as designed. Maybe it's been "grandfathered" in.  :wink2:

Dude, your avi is/was blank [?] wasn't there then it was again !  They appear to be rolling this out in batches or groups so it will affect everyone.  I didn't get hit until the second round myself, I've been using them for linking for about ten years.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:02:41 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
https://www.google.com/search?q=free+image+hosting

Hey, man, everybody's got something to hide, except me and my monkey.

Yeah, the Grandkids are back in town, to see Trump's U.S.A . for the Summer.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
Wow... So you're suggesting it's gone now, or was and is now back?  I can see it. Is that possible?  What are our hosting options?  I've been using PB for ages too. :shrug:

Yes, it was missing when I first typed my response, then it was there later when I came back.  When I clicked on your missing avi it took me to your profile where it was missing too so I grabbed a screen cap to show you and went back to the post and your avi was there.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
I got that email too. I clicked the link just to see how much it would cost to continue to use the service.

I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. These guys are out of their gourds if they think anyone is going to pay that amount.

If it were something like $1-$2/month I'd consider it. I really don't use the service much except to host images of items I sell (here and other places).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
I got that email too. I clicked the link just to see how much it would cost to continue to use the service.

I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. These guys are out of their gourds if they think anyone is going to pay that amount.

If it were something like $1-$2/month I'd consider it. I really don't use the service much except to host images of items I sell (here and other places).

same!  it's unbelievable they people will go from free to $40 a month just to 3rd party image host.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline bombdiggity

DigiGal, so you're saying you do not see my avi now?  Odd that I see it, or do I just not get it?

I see it now but it was gone earlier...  They're messin' with it. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Be neat if the Wayback machine at the archive.org had a copy of the relevant images...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
DigiGal, so you're saying you do not see my avi now?  Odd that I see it, or do I just not get it?

I see it now but it was gone earlier...  They're messin' with it.

Yeah Ben, your avatar seems to come and go, gone this morning and back again.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
I don't see it at all Ben. but I use FF with Ublock origin.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

ilduclo

my photos are still there in my account on PB. I seldom used them as 3rd party hoster. A good alternative host for photos is blogger

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Is there any "business reason" to intentionally charge so much that you guarantee you go out of business? I'm thinking so sort of (legal) write off scam?

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11

Wouldn't be the first time someone deliberately ran a business into the reef to get out of a massive amount of debt... :hmmm:
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Thank you for posting this.  I was wondering why people's avatars started to disappear, including my own. 

After using Photobucket for over 15 years I just deleted all of my photos and my account.

I suggest backing your data up and/or removing it before it is held hostage.

I just used this site to replace my avatar:  http://tinypic.com/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:43:07 AM by rigpimp »
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
yes I noticed while I was away at OCF and NWSS I returned so see my new avatar...
 :(
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Thanks, it works!

(I had to dig for the raw link but I found it)

I just used this site to replace my avatar:  http://tinypic.com/
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
I moved my avatar to imgur.com. I don't see them going anywhere soon.

Luckily I don't really have anything valuable on Photobucket, although it was interesting to see what I had up there. I've sold a lot of stuff that I've completely forgot about. Also some good trips down memory lane (like seeing a photo my old JB3).

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America

I stopped using PB in 2005 when it was taken over by Brazilians  ???

Brazilians?!  Dang, that's a pretty big number....

FYI, googlespace is free up to 15gb

To make files public, although still subject to Google's TOC, set folder as "public".
Then access with URL in the form of:
https://googledrive.com/host/<folderID>/<filename>
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline bombdiggity

Photobucket, Inc. ("TinyPic" or "we") operates TinyPic.com

:cheers:
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!

Photobucket, Inc. ("TinyPic" or "we") operates TinyPic.com

:cheers:

Ironic that it is free and the other Bucket is not.  I don't mind shuffling my Jarts Avatar around a couple of times, as needed.  Hell, I could host it myself if it really came down to it...
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
I've always wondered why you can't load an image from your local machine?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America

I - AM - NOT - A - ROBOT!!!   :angry3:

Human thinks it a bad thing

Find a robot addicted to television, or anything for that matter, ...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it

Care to leave your machine on all the time and be our new image host?  ;)

I currently have my avatar on imgur.com and I don't even have an account. The nice thing about their site is that the server holds onto the file 6 months, so long as the file is linked/accessed, otherwise it gets deleted. However, I wouldn't recommend the site for storage of picture collections.

Unfortunately, the fate of all image sites seems to be the way of bloat.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)

Generally, you can upload images from your local machine.  The policy for a long time has been:

we prefer TSers upload pics directly to TS only if they relate specifically to taping / recording / gear content and are instructive or illustrative in a useful way.

But we restricted avatar uploads ages ago, before I became a mod, I assume because it was becoming an issue in some way.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Oh, hey -- while I have some potentially interested parties here:

One of our users is having trouble editing old posts (like 7 years old) to update image links.  I checked permissions and settings and everything seems fine -- edit permission enabled, with no post 'age' cutoff to prevent users from editing after a certain period of time.

Can one or a couple of you with some seriously old posts go back to try to edit one and let me know what happens?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
well - just to try to attempt to keep my old bucket of photos in one place I was / am trying to dowload my pics. Used both chorme and safari so far, and after I click I am not a robot, I can not download my albums. I am not (domn't want to try to d/L each photo individually.
I want to cancel my account now that all the images I have posted here are  not appearing. But I do wan tto back them up asI have years of pic there.

any suggestions?

EDIT: - well that sucked- I downloaded each pic individually, then deleted them all... all during many (too many) pop up ads. then deleted my account after proving I'm not a robot, clicking on the the squares with pants, then cars... DONE.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:03:49 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Oh, hey -- while I have some potentially interested parties here:

One of our users is having trouble editing old posts (like 7 years old) to update image links.  I checked permissions and settings and everything seems fine -- edit permission enabled, with no post 'age' cutoff to prevent users from editing after a certain period of time.

Can one or a couple of you with some seriously old posts go back to try to edit one and let me know what happens?

Just successfully edited this one from January, '06-  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=57742.msg760995#msg760995
Text exit only, no pictures. Hope that helps.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
^ Yes, I've been using it more than 6-months now and it hasn't been removed (see my previous post). Of course, it's a good idea to also keep a copy on your machine or backup just in case.

Unfortunately, imgur has been bloating little-by-little. It's bound to happen so be prepared.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

mfrench

I ended up here in this thread somehow, following another link.
A very functional fix to this photopukeit issue is this fix: ~original
Add ~original to the end of the broken links, and they'll reappear.

broken:
photofuckit.com/picturexyz.jpg
fix:
photofuckit.com/picturexyz.jpg~original

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Odd thing is mine still works. At least my avatar does.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.16 seconds with 58 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com