Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help building 1/4" > RCA cables...  (Read 6908 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: Need help building 1/4" > RCA cables...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 03:04:48 AM »
Well... I'm hoping Canare is right, only because I don't want to pull these cables apart and start over.  I was having pretty serious noise problems with the "off the shelf" RCA cables I have been using, and these will be a big improvement regardless.  If there is any detectable noise though, I will pull them apart and try it your way.  Plus I redid all the cables for my buddies bar a month ago and wired this way with starquad.  I need to keep a clean conscious or I'll be over there with my soldering iron because I feel guilty!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 03:22:19 AM »
Well... I'm hoping Canare is right, only because I don't want to pull these cables apart and start over.  I was having pretty serious noise problems with the "off the shelf" RCA cables I have been using, and these will be a big improvement regardless.  If there is any detectable noise though, I will pull them apart and try it your way.  Plus I redid all the cables for my buddies bar a month ago and wired this way with starquad.  I need to keep a clean conscious or I'll be over there with my soldering iron because I feel guilty!

Matt

matt;

good luck and hope it works out for ya.

fwiw, i use the Canare GS cable for some of my home stereo ICs. the longest run is 10-12' (i think). haven't noticed any noise with them.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 04:18:41 PM »
Thanks for all your input Marc!!!  +T
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 06:31:37 PM »
backatcha, matt! building these things is half the fun.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline krebsy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 06:15:46 PM »
Matt,
  How did the Canare method of wiring work out for you? Also, would a coax digi cable be wired the same way?  I'm working on getting my rig bag set up somewhat permanently. I'm trying to get patcher cables in place so when folks ask, I don't need to pull the UA-5 out of my bag to connect their cables.  Of course, the easiest answer would be to just buy some damn pre-made cables, but I like the punishment!   ::)  Thanks for any help.
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 11:17:15 PM »
Matt,
  How did the Canare method of wiring work out for you? Also, would a coax digi cable be wired the same way?  I'm working on getting my rig bag set up somewhat permanently. I'm trying to get patcher cables in place so when folks ask, I don't need to pull the UA-5 out of my bag to connect their cables.  Of course, the easiest answer would be to just buy some damn pre-made cables, but I like the punishment!   ::)  Thanks for any help.
Well... the canare wiring made a huge difference in the noise I was getting from my other cables.  But my other cables were absolute shit, so who knows what the biggest difference was.  I don't think the method I used hurt things any, but I don't know for sure that it is any better than what Marc was suggesting.  As for coax... I'm not sure.  I have never made coax before, but typically it is wired like marc was saying if I'm not mistaken.  As for the patcher cord, I do the same thing, and it works out great.  Unlike some, I like to be accomodating to patchers and give them a clean feed without ripping my rig apart to do it!  Good luck!  You may want to post a new thread or search the forum for info on making coax.

Matt

Offline krebsy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 07:58:46 AM »
After my other post, I did some googling that I should've done in the first place.  It looks like a true coax digital cable should be made of 75 ohm coax cable terminated with RCA ends.  I'm assuming you do the same shield to the sleeve trick with this cable.  It also seems that an RCA interconnect cable gets the job done just as well, but the spdif protocal specifies the 75 ohm cable. Glad things worked out for you and thanks for the help.
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com