Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 & power questions  (Read 4874 times)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
V2 & power questions
« on: April 10, 2003, 10:35:32 AM »
Coupla questions now that I've undergone the trial by fire...

1. For the time being, I'm running V2>D8. Should I run the V2 wide open and the D8 just above 4, or should the D8 be at 10 permanently and adjust levels on the V2? I'm assuming the latter (since I read a post on the Oade board saying that the level knob on a D100 is basically an attenuator, so why boost the levels only to attenuate them again) but feedback is much appreciated.

2. The V2 also came with an Eco-Charge GP90. Does it affect the power source at all if I recharge it after every show, i.e. can it get 'conditioned' somehow to only take a shallow recharge? Is it better to run it for a few shows (not completely discharging it, of course) and then recharge?

Thanks for your help! :)

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
Re:V2 & power questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 01:25:59 PM »
i'll leave #1 for others who still use a V2.

#2  ecocharge is a lead acid battery with no memory.  top it off after every use.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Marc Nutter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 09:14:37 PM »
Hi Greenone,

You bring up a very common question and one that continues coming up for considerable debate.

I suggest setting your D8 around 4.5-5 on the dial (necessary to prevent the input voltage issue that results in popping on one channel), and setting your V2 as needed to see the levels you would like.  I would expect 30dB give or take 5dB depending on source level.  This should give you levels in the -8 to -2dBfs range based on typical concert levels of 100dB at front of house.

I base this feedback on the results of the major manufacturers of pre-amps and A/D converters.

My belief is that you are best off running your pre-amp hot enough to achieve a level that will provide optimal dynamic range.  

Grace, like Apogee and Benchmark, have all optimized their gain structure using Audio Precision System One and Two measurement systems (industry standard in the audio world) and have each respectively determined that the best signal-to-noise ratio (and optimal dynamic range), that is the BEST performance from their units, is achieved by maximizing level from the pre-amp (usually around +30dB of gain for loud music sources (around 100dB, typical of concert levels at FOH) and calibrating the A/D as necessary to achieve full scale zero with the pre-amp near its maximum output. This is why Grace requires +25dBu for full scale zero, Benchmark will accommodate a +14dBu level but recommends using a pre-amp that can deliver +20dBu or greater, and Apogee factory calibration is set at +20dBu=0dBfs for line level input.

I continue to find this interesting as I know a lot of people are running analog-to-digital converters (or decks for that matter) “wide open” and only using a bit of gain from the pre-amp (ex: V2 at 10 or 15dB of gain with a AD-1000 “wide open”). Conceptually, this would follow your thought of not adding gain only to pad it later, but the research above demonstrates something significantly different.

I know there is information to the contrary out there regarding gain structure but the manufacturers I respect most, all adhere to the above design approach.

I'd love to hear about real a/b comparisons made contrasting these approaches and any comments about whether they made an audible difference or not.

As for any lead-acid battery, they don't have memory issues and should be charged after each use (as John already said).  This will dramatically improve the life expectancy of your battery.

Happy Recording Everybody,

Marc

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 09:38:12 PM »
good post
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 11:02:42 PM »
Thanks John and Marc - both very informative and helpful! This is my first real foray into anything other than battery-box powered mini-mics, though I've been patching for almost six years now - I've seen all the stuff run but have never done the knob-twisting myself. :)

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com