Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Squeezebox died????  (Read 6987 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Squeezebox died????
« on: November 18, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
So what do you do when your Squeezebox finally kicks? I have had this thing for so long I don’t even remember when I got it. I remember where I got it. J&R Music World. I loved that place. I think I got my HD580’s on the same trip. The model I have is pictured below.

So what do I replace it with? I used all the connections on it. It was integrated into my 2 channel stereo system.

Something like these:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033HEOLNK2/Denon-HEOS-Link.html?awkw=199635693625&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=102161552905&awdv=t&awug=9051850&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tr02_3e3gIV0lqGCh2SjAeXEAQYGCABEgKQBPD_BwE

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022WXC50DS/Yamaha-WXC-50.html?awkw=199642468585&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=102161570425&awdv=t&awug=9051850&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tr02_3e3gIV0lqGCh2SjAeXEAQYBSABEgIt-_D_BwE

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:46:34 PM by ts »

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Squeezebox died????
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:45:01 PM »
Used ones on Ebay or other used sellers?
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »
depends on what you need it to feed

you can run squeezebox on amazon fire sticks and fire TVs. I run it on a few devices here at the house.

The only downside is you dont have the interface so would have to choose tunes from a browser. I use either my phone or PC if im sitting at it

new fireTVs only do hdmi. the older oneds did both HDMI and optical. so you could probably find a refurb

I also use plex. Im pretty sure gapless playback is stil and issue with that though in case its a deal breaker, Plex runs on the fire stuff as well.

If you are running a NAS some of them have similar apps built in etc
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »

you can run squeezebox on amazon fire sticks and fire TVs. I run it on a few devices here at the house.

The only downside is you dont have the interface so would have to choose tunes from a browser. I use either my phone or PC if im sitting at it

new fireTVs only do hdmi. the older oneds did both HDMI and optical. so you could probably find a refurb0

I also use plex. Im pretty sure gapless playback is stil and issue with that though in case its a deal breaker, Plex runs on the fire stuff as well.

My Squeezebox was connected to my stereo so I’m not quite following you with the fire stick. My laptop was connected to my sbox either wirelessly or Ethernet. No hdmi or optical on my laptop. Stone ages down here. The sbox was also connected to my stereo, m902 and a couple other things. So I think I need something like I linked above or find a used sbox that works. Otherwise I’m guessing I would need to upgrade my PC to.

I’m gonna try a few things I found on an sbox forum:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103236-Is-my-Squeezebox-v3-dead

http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/

- new power supply. The one I have tests Ok but may not be putting out enough voltage.
- remove WiFi card. Even though I’m connected via Ethernet, a bad WiFi card can still be an issue.
- Some kinda reset using the remote.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:29:18 PM by ts »

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »

new fireTVs only do hdmi. the older oneds did both HDMI and optical. so you could probably find a refurb0

My Squeezebox was connected to my stereo so I’m not quite following you with the fire stick. My laptop was connected to my sbox either wirelessly or Ethernet. No hdmi or optical on my laptop. Stone ages down here. The sbox was also connected to my stereo, m902 and a couple other things. So I think I need something like I linked above or find a used sbox that works. Otherwise I’m guessing I would need to upgrade my PC to.

- new power supply. The one I have tests Ok but may not be putting out enough voltage.
- remove WiFi card. Even though I’m connected via Ethernet, a bad WiFi card can still be an issue.

the firetv and firestick can essentially be the squeezebox. you would connect audio out on the fireTV to your stereo. So if your stereo has HDMI you are ok with either. If you only have say optical you would need a first gen firetv with hdmi and optical out.

i still have a squeezetouch but the remote no longer works. I just use the touchscreen if im using that stereo
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
I do not own these products but I have researched them a bit out of the fear of my squeezebox dying. I have no idea about the app or computer interface but they are fairly inexpensive.

Dayton Audio WF40A Multi-Room Wi-Fi 2x20W Amplifier with IR Remote
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wf40a-multi-room-wi-fi-2x20w-amplifier-with-ir-remote--300-3820

Dayton Audio WFA28 Multi-Room Wi-Fi Audio Adapter with IR Remote and Optical Output
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wfa28-multi-room-wi-fi-audio-adapter-with-ir-remote-and-optical-output--300-577

This one is on sale now for $28
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wfa02-multi-room-wi-fi-audio-adapter-for-ios-android--300-576
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »

the firetv and firestick can essentially be the squeezebox. you would connect audio out on the fireTV to your stereo. So if your stereo has HDMI you are ok with either. If you only have say optical you would need a first gen firetv with hdmi and optical out.

i still have a squeezetouch but the remote no longer works. I just use the touchscreen if im using that stereo

Thanks. I’ll look into this. A few 1st gens available on eBay. I’ll lose some connections though. My receiver is older so no hdmi, but it does have an opti input.

First going to try and see if I can bring the sbox back to life.

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 07:50:07 AM »
Removing the WiFi card did nothing. That seems to work for many. Going to try a new wall wart. Found one for 7 bucks.

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 07:33:05 PM »
i have one of these i'd be willing to give ya, if you wouldnt mind picking up shipping. 
nothing wrong with it, i just moved to PLEX and a Drobo, so i dont have local machines running the software.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/logitech-squeezebox-duet-review/

Sorry for not replying sooner. That’s a very generous offer. PM sent.

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
Have another possible solution. Duet is not available.

It’s not wireless but that’s ok. Run a 30 foot usb A to usb micro out of my laptop to my Grace m902. Run Winamp or whatever. Tunes fed from my PC to my stereo, same way the Squeezebox did.

Is 30 feet to long a run for data?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:00:16 AM by ts »

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »

It’s not wireless but that’s ok. Run a 30 foot usb A to usb micro out of my laptop to my Grace m902. Run Winamp or whatever. Tunes fed from my PC to my stereo, same way the Squeezebox did.

30 on USB ? shouldnt be an issue

and use foobar2000 if you need a player IMHO of course.

Only issue if you care is that the m902 I believe is limited to 16/44.1 on the USB. I have one and im pretty sure that is accurate.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 10:53:02 PM »
Digital cables either work or they don't. It should be fine, and likely more reliable than any wireless system.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:54:49 AM »
again apologies for my airhead move of offering up my duet (previous sold but i forgot)

fairly sure gheston on ts.com also bought one when i did and it's still in box.  if you want to get you hands on one, he's moving this week, but i can reach out to him to see what he'd want for his. 

Offline ts

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »

Only issue if you care is that the m902 I believe is limited to 16/44.1 on the USB. I have one and im pretty sure that is accurate.

I don’t see that in the manual. Can you point me to it?

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 09:24:42 AM »

I don’t see that in the manual. Can you point me to it?

Sorry 16/44.1 and 48

(USB input supports 16 bit/44.1 and 48k only)

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m902/m902.htm

click on the features link

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com