Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cloudlifter w/ Mix-Pre3 ?  (Read 6149 times)

Offline retailgeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Cloudlifter w/ Mix-Pre3 ?
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »
Hi,

I've been lurking here since the Mix-Pre 3/6 were announced.  I'm not really a taper, but this community seems to be the most excited about the Mix-Pre 3/6, so I've apprecaited following the threads.  I have a Mix-Pre3 and MixPre6, but my use-case is using them to host a podcast.  So if my question is out of bounds, just let me know and I promise to fade into the background :)

At my home studio I'm using the Mix-Pre3 w/ an EV RE-20 Mic.  My old signal chain was RE20->Cloudlifter->Rolls MicMute Switch->Mackie 1212 mixer -> Audent ID22 PreAmp -> Computer for Skype & Zoom H6 for recording.

So now with the MixPre-3 I have a much simpler:  RE20->Cloudlifter->Rolls MicMute Switch->MixPre3-> Computer for Skype.  In basic gain mode, I have the mix gain on the MixPre3 to 48 db to get peaks in the -18 to -12 range.  My question is, should I simplify the chain even more by skipping the cloudlifter?

I do have a MixPre6 (in my traveling podcast kit), and the MixPre3 (for my home studio).  I have the L-Sled, as well as the Anker PowerCore 20100 battery if anyone has any questions.

I have discovered a bug in both units (still in the 1.01 firmware).  If you want to record ISO tracks, and you don't record the Stereo Mix tracks as well, all the tracks are blank.  So for now, you have to record the stereo mix, even if you don't want it.

I'm also having some compatibility problems with the Mixpre3/6 and Skype on the Mac (seems to work fine on Windows).  I've sent a video to SoundDevices to see if they have any thoughts.

Cheers,

-Jason

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
Re: Cloudlifter w/ Mix-Pre3 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
I have a Mix-Pre3 and MixPre6,

I have discovered a bug in both units (still in the 1.01 firmware).  If you want to record ISO tracks, and you don't record the Stereo Mix tracks as well, all the tracks are blank.  So for now, you have to record the stereo mix, even if you don't want it.

Cheers,

-Jason

I've been able to record channels 1 and 2 without recording the stereo mix. Have you raised the gain on those tracks, i.e., push in the fader knob and press GAIN in the menu?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
How do you turn off the stereo mix?

I have a Mix-Pre3 and MixPre6,

Cheers,

-Jason

I've been able to record channels 1 and 2 without recording the stereo mix. Have you raised the gain on those tracks, i.e., push in the fader knob and press GAIN in the menu?

In Advanced mode, go to RECORD menu and in submenu Record L,R mix, there's an off option. See manual p. 29.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »

So now with the MixPre-3 I have a much simpler:  RE20->Cloudlifter->Rolls MicMute Switch->MixPre3-> Computer for Skype.  In basic gain mode, I have the mix gain on the MixPre3 to 48 db to get peaks in the -18 to -12 range.  My question is, should I simplify the chain even more by skipping the cloudlifter?

As long as you're happy with peaks around -10, I'd say skip the cloudlifter.  I couldn't find any specs on the actual noise level of the cloudlifter, just a claim of clean gain.  Still, the MP-3 and Kashmir preamps offer very low noise and very clean gain.  With a top gain of 76db, you only have +28db more gain to squeeze out of the MP-3 and without the cloudlifter you'd lose 25db of gain, so it sounds like you're only going to get to a max of -9dbFS using only the MP-3. 

With MP-3's clean gain and the more simplified setup though, I'd be tempted to skip the cloudlifter.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline retailgeek

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:50 PM »

[/quote]

In Advanced mode, go to RECORD menu and in submenu Record L,R mix, there's an off option. See manual p. 29.
[/quote]

Yep, do that on a MixPre3, and change L+R Linked to Off.  Now Arm a couple of the inputs for ISO recording and record some audio.  Try to play back the audio.  You'll find the ISO wave files have no audio in them.  It's a bug in v1.00 and 1.01 of the firmware.  I haven't tested on a MP6 yet, but I do have one hear to try.

Cheers,

-Jason

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »

Yep, do that on a MixPre3, and change L+R Linked to Off.  Now Arm a couple of the inputs for ISO recording and record some audio.  Try to play back the audio.  You'll find the ISO wave files have no audio in them.  It's a bug in v1.00 and 1.01 of the firmware.  I haven't tested on a MP6 yet, but I do have one hear to try.

Cheers,

-Jason

I don't know whether your changing LR linked makes the difference, but I have been recording for two days with my setup and I have perfect audio on my ISO tracks and NO mix track recorded. And yes I played it back and downloaded it to my computer. It's there.

Regards.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:57:32 PM »
Can you also play the ISO tracks back on the recorder?

Cheers,

-Jason

I don't know whether your changing LR linked makes the difference, but I have been recording for two days with my setup and I have perfect audio on my ISO tracks and NO mix track recorded. And yes I played it back and downloaded it to my computer. It's there.

Regards.

Offline retailgeek

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »
dogmusic, are you on a MixPre3 or MixPre6?

When you say you aren't recording the Stereo mix, you have record on advanced, and you turn off the mix recording by going to the record menu and change the Default (which is L&R Linked) to Off?

That defiantly ends up with empty tracks (can't play them back and hear anything) for me, and SD confirmed it was a bug.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 11:27:53 PM »
Can you also play the ISO tracks back on the recorder?

Yes.

While recording, the meters show levels for both the mix tracks and the ISO tracks 1&2. But on playback, the meters show only the 1&2 tracks and I hear them.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »
Me too, same issue.

When you say you aren't recording the Stereo mix, you have record on advanced, and you turn off the mix recording by going to the record menu and change the Default (which is L&R Linked) to Off?

That defiantly ends up with empty tracks (can't play them back and hear anything) for me, and SD confirmed it was a bug.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 11:43:27 PM »

I'm on a MixPre6.

Yes, I'm in Advanced mode not Custom mode. So I am setting my ISO gain levels in the Channel menu (reached by pressing the fader knob).

I go to RECORD menu and in submenu Record L,R mix, among the options, there is an "off" option which I select. See manual p. 29.

Perhaps this doesn't work on a MixPre3.

Also remember, in order to hear the ISO tracks on headphones when there is no mix track, you have to change the headphone source to the ISO tracks (default is stereo mix).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com