Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Database programs for tracking recordings - are they still in demand?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi.

I was thinking about all the old tape trading software we use to have so many years ago and I was wondering if anyone still wishes there was a dedicated way to keep track of all the recordings rather than dealing with websites like db.etree.org (don't get me wrong - they are a fine website, but we all know any website can have problems or go in myspace mode someday and all the data you provided could be completely messed up and maybe not recoverable as a result to sudden change).

Speaking for myself, I wanted to own TapeTracker for Windows when I first saw it in the late 90s. However, I couldn't really afford the price for it. It was something like 60 bucks I think at that time.

I've been using LibreOffice for a long time now to keep track of the stuff I have. I was originally doing it in a spreadsheet and then I got fancy and put all that information into the LibeOffice Base program. I took it one step further this week and I made a nice little interface in the forms section. I don't know if this is anything that is in high demand by others, but by looking at what I have done so far, it looks almost like the way I remember one of those database programs for live recordings looked like.

Anyway, i just wanted to get a gauge out there and see if there really is a need for a dedicated app or tool of some kind to track recordings without aid of the internet. Maybe I'll put this out if people need to have this tool. However, I can completely understand people may have their own system and things like Excel or Calc that might be good enough for the job.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Database programs for tracking recordings - are they still in demand?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 04:58:31 AM »
I keep my lists in LibreOffice too.

I have one called DAT RECORDINGS, one called TAPELESS RECORDINGS, and one called CASSETTES.

I also have one called SHOWS ATTENDED which gets an entry whether or not I record.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »
I keep my lists in LibreOffice too.

I have one called DAT RECORDINGS, one called TAPELESS RECORDINGS, and one called CASSETTES.

I also have one called SHOWS ATTENDED which gets an entry whether or not I record.

Pretty nice. Do you fill all this out in a form of some kind or do you just manually enter it all in a database? I'm trying to get my stuff entered in efficiently as much as possible in Libreoffice Base. When everything is entered in correctly, it will generate different certain queries that can be used for various reasons. I'm trying very hard to make it so I can pull up queries on stuff I recorded, certain artists or things I recorded, the different cities / countries I have recordings at (or have in general), or even stuff that I recorded during a certain era of time + many more. So far, I'm loving the controls I've enabled and maybe this could be a benefit for other people in the future.

There are pull down menus to show certain artists, venues, the cities, the states, as well as countries. The good news is also the information is saved for the pull down menus once it's entered in, so you don't need to keep typing it all over again. You can input information on the gear you used to record with and any generation detail, if applicable. As you can probably understand, when more things get put in their respective categories it's easier to sort through it. 

I am attaching a photo example so you can see how it works.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:38:40 PM »
I just do a spreadsheet.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
I just do a spreadsheet.

Same. Seems way easier, and also is on the interwebs for everyone to see (see my sig).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com