Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Finished Project: Building My Monaural Playback System  (Read 17815 times)

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
Re: Finished Project: Building My Monaural Playback System
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:42 AM »
I would say the larger the speaker, the better the tone in this case, but you might end up with a power issue- you don't want to stress the amp.
Do you know what power headroom it's producing...?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

mfrench

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »
Jim,
thanks!
I looked for any specification that dealt with your question, and found none (in the manual). So, let me describe it this way,....
The volume knob is also the on/off switch. Its off at the 7o'clock position. At 8, its on, but no sound level.  Our normal listening has been variable at 10->11 position, with 12o'clock becoming fairly loud, and 9o'clock being a quiet background level. 1 o'clock is fairly unknown level of listening for us.
At the 11:30 position, we can start to overload the 6" speaker, and start smearing frequencies into distortions.

The speakers that I've been looking at are old console speakers from the low wattage tube days; Utah, Altec-Lansing, an Onkyo coax, European Saba's, etc.
At any rate,... I've been looking at "tube friendly" high sensitivity vintage speakers, to try to help with the tubes.

thanks again!

mfrench

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »
As it turns out, my speaker is of the 8" category, despite measuring just a little over 6" (like 6 3/8")
I found an inexpensive 8" coaxial ceiling speaker today, with a nice sensitivity.  It is a  speaker intended for in-ceiling pa systems, and 25/70v, with a transformer.
I took the transformer off, and reverted back to 8ohm. Beyond that it was a straight bolt-in swap out.
Overall, it was a substantial improvement in both high freq, and low end.
The low end of the original had a fuzz around it, and the highs were getting smeared in distortions.
Now with the separate drivers, each is handling its own range without the smudging. The bass is far more refined and articulate. Its now more appropriate as a corner speaker, as there is far less tendency to overstate itself and get fuzzy around the edges.
The highs,... well Sarge has commented numerous times already about how much more revealing the highs are, suggesting sizzle in the cymbals where there was none before.
So we've freed up the high spectrum substantially as well.
Overall, even with an inexpensive speaker, its a fine improvement. Its probably not an ideal speaker, but, a very reasonably priced excursion and experiment. So, I now feel it a reasonable endeavor to upgrade it to an even finer degree. I'll let this run in for a bit, and see where it goes, as its enough of an upgrade as is, to not feel a need to change it out too quickly.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 05:51:05 AM »
you know- that's not such a bad idea- you're balancing compressed-response original electronics with inexpensive, easy to drive, tweaked-to-account-for less than ideal mounting-scenario drivers...

Ceiling speakers, whilst inexpensive are not without design. And the design is to account for alot of grille and 90 degree off-axis auditioning; people don't "hear" upwards- they hear forwards and as such, ceiling drivers are a little brighter to accomodate.

The tone would be very flattering I'm sure...

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

mfrench

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »
Thanks, Jim
This link goes a long way to providing insight into this system
http://www.bobdylan.com/#/media/videos/stick-with-mono
I think I'll stick with mono :)

the new speaker has really made a big difference, more coherent. But it did not lose its vintage appeal either.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 11:47:09 PM »
My Mama says that I should be careful about kissing "easy" girls, 'cause I might catch some Mono.       ;D

+T for renewing, recycling, and reinventing!
Some very clever work and a fine-looking project!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:51:23 PM by I Tape »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
This is my eventual mono restoration..  It worked when I last tried it, 20 years ago.  It is likely a Philco 47-1230, built in 1947 (haven't checked the tag on the back).  It originally sold for $239.95, about $2404.52 in inflation adjusted dollars.  Automatic record changer, AM, FM and shortwave.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Wow, that thing is gorgeous.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
that is really nice.
It sure does look like a philco, too. I looked at a bunch of cabinets and phonographs, and saw several Philcos available, and that definitely has the look.

Restoration:
You are going for a faithful restoration?
Does the TT have multiple speeds?  Its right at the cusp of the introduction LP and 45 microgrooves.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »
It does not appear to support 45's.  The phono controls are on/off, auto-manual, and reject.

I'm not sure what I'll do for restoration.  It is something I need to do a bunch of study on.  For now, it sleeps in a safe place, and looks great doing it.  I found a great deal of restoration and forum activity around these models, so that will help a lot.  The fact that it has been working and hasn't been messed up with shody repair work is a nice bonus.

Minimally it needs to be re-capped, mechanicals gone through, etc.  My requirement for the phono is that it does not harm 78's.  I have a friend who does do speaker re-coning, so that is an option when I get to that point.  There are the big questions of whether I retain the phono, amp, and speaker.  It'd be nice to wire in some alternate inputs so I can play old time radio shows digitally, etc.

mfrench

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »
You should worry about the shellac wearing out the needles.
They come from a time of the pickups weighing in in the multiples of ounces, which is also directly the tracking weight.  They would wear out the steel needles in a few plays.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com