Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre2 vs Mytek Stereo96 DAC?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Sound Devices USBPre2 vs Mytek Stereo96 DAC?
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
Curious which unit *seems* brighter above 2khz. I've heard the Mytek does when compared to the Lavry DA1x series and Benchmark's DAC1. Curious how the usbpre2 ranks in that equation.

paging Gutbucket.

edit: added a ? in the subject, my bad.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:13:02 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Sound Devices USBPre2 vs Mytek Stereo96 DAC?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »
Just saw your post.. ironic since I came here to post some praise for the Mytek.  Not sure if I can offer much objective help at this point though.

I picked up the Mytek recently from the yardsale here and love it except for the sleep deprivation it seems to cause whenever I turn it on late at night. I'm hearing details and image depth I was missing previously and feel like it can help me feel confident and decisive in making certain audio manipulation choices.  I've only run it with Senn HD650 cans so far and have not yet used it to feed the speaker system.  The 'air' and 'image depth and space' of the top end are two aspects that I really like about it and a large portion of the comparitive improvement it's provided me.  Those aspects are also what I hear improvment in by switching on the DAC's superclock feature instead of clocking to the incoming SPDIF stream (24 bit out of a Musiland USB>SPIDF converter).  Maybe I'm hearing a reduction in jitter?

I have not compared the Mytek directly to the other DACs you mention, though I plan to do so with the Benchmark DAC1 which another TS member in town has.  So I can't back anything up from actual comparative listening, but my impression is that the Mytek may be perceived as slighty 'brighter' up top than the Lavary or Benchmark.  That impression arises collectively from what I've read, what others have told me, and from listening to the ADC>DAC loop comparisions a few years ago that are posted on the Mytek site.  I tend to weigh clean, clear, open transparency heavily in my personal hierarchy of sound preference, so that's a good match for me and I'm very pleased so far in the listening I've done, which has been primarily for enjoyment.

A more objective comparison awaits.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:22:28 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
I picked up the Mytek recently from the yardsale here and love it

oh, I know. I know...

I'm debating the Lavry DA11 or the new Mytek 196 unit in the future when I have some scratch. Using my usbpre2 at the moment.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
I've heard the Benchmark before, but too long ago to make any real comparison, and have only listened to the USBPre2 at a few shows with headphones while the music was up.  I'd like to give the DA11 a listen which was on my short list, as was the older Grace which I heard a few years ago at a CanJam event.

The new Mytek is attractive with a digital gain display like the Grace and direct USB.  Fortunately this one fit my budget and the sound fits my head.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com