Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth video-taping made easy  (Read 13256 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Re: stealth video-taping made easy
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 03:34:01 PM »
What usually happens when you get caught filming?

Usually one of four things happen:

1. You are asked to stop taping.
2. Your video tape is confiscated (and not returned)
3. Your videocamera is confiscated (and returned after the show)
4. You are kicked out of the venue

Numbers 1, 2 and 3 have all happened to me.

I've had 1, 2, and 4 done to me.

I was filming Scissor Sisters at Neumo's in Seattle.  I had my VX1000 posted up on a halfwall by my head (pre-set the angle and let it sit static).  About 40 minutes into the set, I felt the camera strap (which was in my hand for security's sake) tug away and I looked over to see the camcorder leaving it's comfortable seating.  I followed the camera while still holding the strap and I ended up outside with some meathead looking at me.

"Give me the tape."

"But, I..."

"Give me the tape."

"Ok, just a second... Jesus."

"Give me the fucking tape."

*Gives him the tape*

*Door closes, guard goes inside*

*Sad panda is left sitting outside with his camcorder and no tape*

I walked home feeling no huge loss.  Just thankful my camcorder wasn't tossed into the street or taken away.  Stealthing with a full-body is tough.  And, now that I'm thinking about it, he never actually asked me to stop taping so I guess I've never had #1 done to me.

On-topic for stealth filming, though, I always thought it would be awesomely futuristic if a company made a 3CCD camera that mounted on some thick-frame glasses unobtrusively.  The viewfinder could even be translucently laid over one of the lenses (wow, that would be disorienting).

Also, you could zoom and focus by sending messages to the camera with your mind.  THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2005, 07:57:05 PM »

On-topic for stealth filming, though, I always thought it would be awesomely futuristic if a company made a 3CCD camera that mounted on some thick-frame glasses unobtrusively.

I know a policeman who used to work undercover and he had a video camera mounted in some glasses and he used it while working undercover in the narcotics division to bust drug dealers.  This was around ten years ago.  So the technology is there.  The quality of the video probably sucked pretty bad, but was good enough for what he was doing.

Would be interesting to see how far the technology has improved.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline bossanova

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2005, 08:03:12 PM »
There are glasses cams, and helmet cams.
The resolution is about 400 lines.

Howie Mandel uses glasses cams in his comedy act.

Yeah, the future is a glasses cam to a portable DVR.

Problem is they are too pricey now, and quality is not that good.
Also, no zooming, so  probably only good for first few rows.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2005, 08:16:47 PM »
Yeah, but what I'm talking about is the quality of a pro-sumer camcorder (like a VX1000 or an XL1) built into that size.  I know, it's ridiculous, but it's what I want.  Maybe just the quality of a decent DV camcorder lens then just run the data cable behind your ear and into your bag/pocket where the video is captured and stored on a microdrive.

Damn I got excited just typing that.

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2005, 12:46:07 PM »
That would kick ass, as long as it didn't record the video to mpeg format on the hard drive like the hard drive camcorders do.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »
That would kick ass, as long as it didn't record the video to mpeg format on the hard drive like the hard drive camcorders do.

What do you want? Raw video?  Don't kid yourself, any video recorder uses some sort of compression.  Video is just too huge.

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 09:19:27 AM »
Well if it is putting it on a 30gb or higher hard drive I think it can hold an hour and a half concert in a less compressed format.  I would like as least compressed as possible so the guy who edits my videos will have an easier time with it.

Offline jojolimited

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »
A company called Cineform has tools to convert mpeg2 to an editor friendly format. Mainly because all the current prosumer HDV cames record in mpeg2 to save space and fit on a MiniDV tape.
They have stand alone, and plug ins for Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier. They also save space on your HD because of the compression they us (Wavelet). They have become sort of a defacto standard on the PC platform. You can download trial version to check them out. The format they convert to can be edited much easier than mpeg2.
A version called ConnectHD is included in Sony Vegas.

I also believe there are some plug ins for Virtual Dub and AVISynth (both free and open source) to batch process stuff to different formats...
usually YUV format which is also editor friendly.

BTW, since this is an audio centric site, you all might want to check out Vegas since in addition to being a great Video Editor, it's also
a multitrack audio recording app the offers 5.1 surround mixing and output.
You can download a free save disabled trial from Sony Media Software site. (Vegas, Acid Pro, SoundForge used to owned by SonicFoundry).
They have consumer versions of everything for under $100.00 US each.

Just a thought.
oh....www.cineform.com for the mpeg2 conversion software

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 09:16:25 PM »
A company called Cineform has tools to convert mpeg2 to an editor friendly format. Mainly because all the current prosumer HDV cames record in mpeg2 to save space and fit on a MiniDV tape.
They have stand alone, and plug ins for Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier. They also save space on your HD because of the compression they us (Wavelet). They have become sort of a defacto standard on the PC platform. You can download trial version to check them out. The format they convert to can be edited much easier than mpeg2.
A version called ConnectHD is included in Sony Vegas.

I also believe there are some plug ins for Virtual Dub and AVISynth (both free and open source) to batch process stuff to different formats...
usually YUV format which is also editor friendly.

BTW, since this is an audio centric site, you all might want to check out Vegas since in addition to being a great Video Editor, it's also
a multitrack audio recording app the offers 5.1 surround mixing and output.
You can download a free save disabled trial from Sony Media Software site. (Vegas, Acid Pro, SoundForge used to owned by SonicFoundry).
They have consumer versions of everything for under $100.00 US each.

Just a thought.
oh....www.cineform.com for the mpeg2 conversion software

Great info ~ thanks for posting.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2005, 02:16:08 AM »
No kidding, that was a great post.  I would +t you if I could.

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2006, 09:59:47 PM »
How well does this thing perform in low light? This sort of thing looks like just what I'll want for taking some "nice" video to go along with the tour I'm recording later this year. I want a recorder that will record to flash media (about 1 or 2 gigs), be able to upload via USB2.0 or Firewire 4 pin, and be able to tape in moderate to low light. It looks pretty good, but if it's not that great, I'll look elsewhere. My budget is right about $600 minus tax, so it looks like it fits my range. But I really want to go tapeless. Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com